GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Woot woot! 12.86@105mph

Search this Thread

Old 3/12/05, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[attachmentid=14572][attachmentid=14571]Well, Hello to all. I got to go over to the NMRA Spring Nationals in Bradenton. I met up with Mtas, and Turbochad. It's nice to put a face with the names after almost a year. Anyways...When I arrived (early), I was able to get three runs in during the open time trials (practice). My first run, I was pulled off a 13.2 on the new M/T ET streets. My second run, the paper jammed on the timeslip printer. My third run, I actually got the slip from my second run, which is aggravating because I know I ran better in my third run. I pulled around for my fourth run (these were all within 10 minutes of each other) and went to burnout....just smoked my clutch! I backed out of the wet box and was sooo ticked. I learned 3 things today: 1. There will always be someone else with a faster mustang than yours. 2. Line locs are important unless you can afford to go through clutches. 3. The stock clutch really stinks! The stock clutch is 11" and when people are replacing them, they are putting in 10.5". Working the brakes when doing a burnout really wears on the clutch, especially when it hasn't had a moment to cool down. I saw some 05's hitting low 11's all day. A upper third link will bring the nose down a bit on the car at launch. Just a matter of time! So, here's some pics. 1. me at launch-I really like this one, it's not a pic you typically get of yourself. 2. My timeslip.
Those M/T ET's hook dead on. Scary.
David
Old 3/12/05, 10:24 PM
Bullitt Member

David, sounds like an awesome experience. Congrats! And that picture of your car at launch is an absolute gem. Needless to say, I trust you'll be bringing news of some high 12s next time...

Very cool. B)
Old 3/12/05, 10:47 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Congrats man. That's a mean pic of your launch. Can't wait to see if you get those tires off the ground.
Old 3/12/05, 10:58 PM
FR500 Member

Great run! Sorry about the clutch but I am glad the tires are going strong for you. Were you able to drive her home? I may juist address the clutch issue before I hit the track.

Paul
Old 3/12/05, 11:18 PM
Banned

alright, you know the clutch is still good, if not, they must be making them out of carboard and superglue now.....a stock clutch that had been abused normally lasts around 30,000, I'm sure you don't have that on your 05 do you?
P.S. I saw at 12.80 on that time slip, that was you right, Dave????
Old 3/13/05, 05:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 169stang@March 13, 2005, 12:45 AM
[attachmentid=14572][attachmentid=14571]Well, Hello to all. I got to go over to the NMRA Spring Nationals in Bradenton. I met up with Mtas, and Turbochad. It's nice to put a face with the names after almost a year. Anyways...When I arrived (early), I was able to get three runs in during the open time trials (practice). My first run, I was pulled off a 13.2 on the new M/T ET streets. My second run, the paper jammed on the timeslip printer. My third run, I actually got the slip from my second run, which is aggravating because I know I ran better in my third run. I pulled around for my fourth run (these were all within 10 minutes of each other) and went to burnout....just smoked my clutch! I backed out of the wet box and was sooo ticked. I learned 3 things today: 1. There will always be someone else with a faster mustang than yours. 2. Line locs are important unless you can afford to go through clutches. 3. The stock clutch really stinks! The stock clutch is 11" and when people are replacing them, they are putting in 10.5". Working the brakes when doing a burnout really wears on the clutch, especially when it hasn't had a moment to cool down. I saw some 05's hitting low 11's all day. A upper third link will bring the nose down a bit on the car at launch. Just a matter of time! So, here's some pics. 1. me at launch-I really like this one, it's not a pic you typically get of yourself. 2. My timeslip.
Those M/T ET's hook dead on. Scary.
David

David, congrats I here bye declare you to be the first member of TMS to hit the 12's in an '05 Mustang!

And, yes, there will always be someone faster but fortunately for us old guys, there will always be someone slower

The Boss Hog
Old 3/13/05, 05:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice run!! Finally someone into the 12's with only minor mods!

What are you taching at at the traps?

Also, when you say "smoked your clutch" do you mean you totally killed it (as in it needs to be replaced), or did you just cook it a little and it is still working fine?
Old 3/13/05, 06:06 AM
Cobra Member

Great!! Good to hear about the runs, sorry about the clutch We 05 owners need to lay the smack down at the track to show that modded 05's can get it's grove on

-Bryan
Old 3/13/05, 07:26 AM

I'm on the right on that timeslip. My number was 32 which you can see in the pic as well.
For my setup and dead hooking tires, it's too hard on the clutch. people were speculating on the weakest point...I found it. I do realize the 3 runs back-to-back is no good for the clutch. As far as "smokin" the clutch, there isn't much left of it. The clutch doesn't engage when it's supposed too, and you can smell everytime you get out. I got it home with no problems and it's still driveable. I'm just going to have it replaced next week. I'm also going to be getting line locs. I thought it sounded silly the first time I heard it mentioned around here, but they are necessary for doing burnouts.
I think I could get the front tires off the ground with the right clutch and a properly adjusted upper 3rd link.
Old 3/13/05, 08:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

First of all.. grats on doing so well David!

Second you need to change your signature.

Third, can someone enlighten me on what line locs are? I have never been to the track, I usually enjoy the curves rather than a straight shot. However, you are all giving me this nasty itch so trying to learn as much as I can from all of you.
Old 3/13/05, 09:05 AM
GT Member

Very nice results

Are you worried about stress on the stock rear end if it is hooking so good on the ET Streets?
Old 3/13/05, 09:06 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by MilStang@March 13, 2005, 9:52 AM
First of all.. grats on doing so well David!

Second you need to change your signature.

Third, can someone enlighten me on what line locs are? I have never been to the track, I usually enjoy the curves rather than a straight shot. However, you are all giving me this nasty itch so trying to learn as much as I can from all of you.
Line Loc. Locks the front brake so you can do a burn out without having the back brakes on at the same time. Also you could use it on the line to keep from rolling through the lights. Some guys bump into the lights with them. Hope this helps.
Old 3/13/05, 09:10 AM
Cobra Member

Third, can someone enlighten me on what line locs are?
Locks your front brakes up for burn outs.

Great time, and the photo looks really sweet.

hope the burnt clutch smell goes away eventually :P
Old 3/13/05, 09:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
David,

What type of clutch are going to replace the stocker with? Let us know what you do and how you like the upgraded clutch, especially the pedal feel!
Old 3/13/05, 11:25 AM
GT Member

Great run, nice numbers. By any chance did you find out what the mods were of those 05s hitting 11s ?
Old 3/13/05, 12:55 PM
3rd Times A Charm

I'm curious how they hit 11's too. Were they Naturally Aspirated???
Old 3/13/05, 01:07 PM

Well, the rear is 31 spline, so I'm not too worried there. The tranny or the driveshaft will be on the line next to break. I'll fix em as I break em. The line loc's will be pretty fun to have regardless...bumping up to the line and all. I'm not sure what brand clutch I will have. I hooked up with a race shop and will let him install whatever combination he thinks is best. He has an 2005 as well. His car is actually the initial test car for Diablosport tuners. They won't let him do anything else to the car. His car will be in 5.0 magazine next month.
I guess it would be cool to actually pick the front tires up off the ground at launch.
I didn't inquire too much about the 11sec ponies. Some had original motors and some had different motors. All did have nitrous though. I have a video of one launching then having motor trouble down the track. Those 11sec cars were setup to race professionally and I'll never put the kinds of stuff they had in there cars in mine. They've definately crossed the line for daily driver.
I appreciate all the responses!
David
Old 3/13/05, 01:33 PM

I was really wanting to see an 05 with any brand supercharger running down the track. I saw quite a few Prochargers...sitting still. I know it's still a bit early, but most of those companies were showcasing there. What would be better for business than Procharger shooting one of those cars down the track. Even if they popped a motor, not too many people there would even know about it. There was a bunch of Vortech and Prochargers on other cars running 9's and 10's, but dang it, I wanted to see an 05 screamin!!!
Old 3/13/05, 01:44 PM

[attachmentid=14604]This is a pic of a "2005 9 second mustang" in the works. I didn't get a pic of the blower for some dumb reason. You can see the outlet on the blower just above the piece of paper on the radiator. It is a vortech about 12" tall. It's mounted at the middle/bottom of the radiator. I apologize for not taking note to who was building it. I honestly to pay too much attention to what guys are doing like this. To me, it's really just the body of a 2005. Anyone can shove some ponies onto a chassis and put whatever body on it. I mostly like N/A cars. Blowers/Turbos are of interest as well. Don't car alot about NOS either. For me it seems kinda like cheating.
Old 3/13/05, 02:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for the education guys! I thought maybe it was something to do with the brake lines but no idea what.

Again great times and I look forward to what others do... and them documenting it here on the site.

Quick Reply: Woot woot! 12.86@105mph