GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

WMS Ram/Cold Air

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/08, 10:37 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WMS Ram/Cold Air

Anybody have experience with this set up? http://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/05hvi.htm

I don't want to change the hood on my CS to get a cold air system and this one seems like a great idea to get OUTSIDE colder air to the intake with NO external body modifications.
Does this offer improved performance over a typical CAI installation?
Looks like you need to move a few things around under the hood, did you have any problems?
Attached Images  
Old 7/28/08, 11:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

there are several threads on this do a search first
Old 7/28/08, 01:37 PM
GT Member

Yep, but I'm looking for new information - most of the stuff posted prior is a couple years old. Thought maybe there would be updated experiences, new revisions or modifications to the WMS.
Old 7/28/08, 01:39 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moved to the GT Performance section. I also have info on my blog regarding the install as I did this just over a month ago.
Old 7/28/08, 01:45 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Forgot to mention you can read about it on the last page.
Old 7/28/08, 01:51 PM
GT Member

Nice blog and great looking fastback. Unless I missed something, you installed a CDC shaker - I'm looking for more info on the Western Motor Sport under hood, through the grill ram/cold air. Actually from an engineering perspective, your CDC shaker probably gets a better charge of cold air, but i want to keep my GT/CS stock hood & (fake) scoop.
Old 7/28/08, 02:07 PM
V6 Member

I really wanted one of these when I first got my GT, but unfortunately it was just too expensive for me at the time. Now you've got me thinking about switching over to one now. I know for one thing, I try to modify those two openings in the front to be about 2 inches longer.
Old 7/28/08, 02:15 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally Posted by HPwhitevert
Nice blog and great looking fastback. Unless I missed something, you installed a CDC shaker - I'm looking for more info on the Western Motor Sport under hood, through the grill ram/cold air. Actually from an engineering perspective, your CDC shaker probably gets a better charge of cold air, but i want to keep my GT/CS stock hood & (fake) scoop.

Actually, if you check again on the last page you will see where I installed the WMS intake kit. This was done after the shaker install.
Old 7/28/08, 02:16 PM
Retired Tms Staff

This link should help ya....

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...&postcount=165
Old 7/28/08, 02:20 PM
Retired Tms Staff

As for improved performance over other CAI's, hard to say without putting it on a dyno. Ofcourse the company claims it does. What I can tell you is that over the MMR kit I had before, with the WMS I am getting better gas mileage. You can install it with or without a tune. Just get the standard MAF housing. The bigger one will not give you anymore HP unless you install a S/C with it.
The could have done a better job on the Ram Air Box (which you pay extra for). It doesn't fit that great and as far as quality goes, if they changed a few things it would be a lot better but I guess they don't see any reason to. If you do get the ram air box, you can't aim the filter down enough to prevent it from rubbing against the hood liner. Same issue happens with the overflow reservoir as well. As you can see in my blog, I removed the liner and painted the hood because after a short period of time, the liner looked like crap.
Old 7/28/08, 02:54 PM
GT Member

Thanks adrenalin, for the new link and good info. Too bad that WMS doesn't tweak this system to correct some of the ram air box fit up issues and other quirks. For example - why can't they supply an extension for the MAF harness? Instead you have to cut and extend the original - I'd rather not since my car is an 08, less than 1000 miles and has lots of warranty left.
Old 7/28/08, 04:05 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I had to do it again I'd probably go with a different CAI. I got the WMS for it's looks over the other CAI's, but the looks don't make up for the hassle of extending the MAF, relocating the coolant tank, difficulty going back to stock, and higher likelyhood of idle/stalling problems as I and others have had w/ this intake. Most people don't have the stalling/idle problem, but this intake does seem to have a higher occurrence than other CAI's.
Old 7/29/08, 08:09 AM
Retired Tms Staff

I found out my idle/stalling problems occured after a long stretch on the highway (over 15 minute drive) and then coming to a stop after taking an off ramp. I thought it was due to the WMS intake but ends up it is my fuel pump.
Old 7/29/08, 02:31 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
If I had to do it again I'd probably go with a different CAI. I got the WMS for it's looks over the other CAI's, but the looks don't make up for the hassle of extending the MAF, relocating the coolant tank, difficulty going back to stock, and higher likelyhood of idle/stalling problems as I and others have had w/ this intake. Most people don't have the stalling/idle problem, but this intake does seem to have a higher occurrence than other CAI's.
Would you consider a trade for a C&L Street?
Old 7/29/08, 03:22 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by acascianelli
Would you consider a trade for a C&L Street?
Nope, but thanks. I'm happy w/ the WMS now that I've got the stalling problem solved and it's going to be too much work to switch to anything else. (coolant hose cut, etc)
Thanks again.
Old 7/29/08, 03:23 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by adrenalin
I found out my idle/stalling problems occured after a long stretch on the highway (over 15 minute drive) and then coming to a stop after taking an off ramp. I thought it was due to the WMS intake but ends up it is my fuel pump.
Aaah, the fuel pump. One of the other things I replaced trying to diag my problem.
Old 8/3/08, 09:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow I intsalled my WMS over 2 years and 12000 miles ago , and I have had none of the problems I am seeing mentioned here . As for the install it took me less than an hour , that is nothing in terms of mods . I love it never had it dynoed but I can tell a real differance . And my fuel mileage went up by 2 mph . Moving the rad. over flow is the hardest part , and even that isnt diffacult . i had a old thread on here somewhere , with pics , I have a cali. dreamin ram air hood that I made functional with the intake . You should cheak it out , pretty informative . Feel free to pm me with any further questions you might have .

Fordcrazy
Old 8/3/08, 07:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I have had the WMS 80mm HV Intake system and Ram Hood for about 2 years. Wouldnt have it any other way.

The correct way to tune for a WMS is to datalog key points to get the Mass Air Transfer Function set correctly. If the MAFTF is not set correctly then the A/F's will not be correct. You really cant do that on a dyno. A dyno in a wind tunnel would work. (see attachment for monitoring points using SCT's LL3 software.)

I also have my WMS sealed off with this weather stripping and installed the WMS hood liner.
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...=&CatKey=74-01

In addition to that, in the lower grille (each side) there are 2-1/2" flexible hoses running from there up to the 7" x 1-1/2" WMS openings. (sealed). I have a remote temperature sensor mounted right on the air filter, just so I can see whats going into the intake.

You'll never convince me that a filter under the hood sucking in engine heat is better than ram air.

Later
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 8/15/08, 08:23 AM
Retired Tms Staff

I know my car is running a little rich but not sure I understand all of this MAFTF stuff. I have the SCT X3 but looking at the attachment you posted I have no idea what all that means.
Old 8/16/08, 07:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
I know my car is running a little rich but not sure I understand all of this MAFTF stuff. I have the SCT X3 but looking at the attachment you posted I have no idea what all that means.
The air being sucked in through the intake is being measured by the EEC. The system needs to know precisely how much air is coming into the engine so that the injector pulswidths are correct and that the spark advance and A/F's are correct.

Your more popular CAI's SCT dealers have spent many hours of testing to developing a MAF transfer function tables that are accurate. The injector pulsewidth table has been set correctly and the spark and A/F's have been set as close to accurate as possible.

SCT has an engine monitoring piece of software called Live Link 3 which allows the user to monitor the key points required to verify that your engine is operating at peak efficeincy and performance. You can download the software from SCT's website.

Believe it or not, even a new car could benefit from a custom tune.

Custom tunes are expensive ranging in price from $250 to $500 with good reason. They are time consuming. But atleast you have piece of mind knowing that your engine is operating well.

As far as I know WMS has not developed a MAF Transfer Function Table for their intake. And I dont mean on a dyno. Its a ram air system and should be calibrated on the road. I dont drive around with my hood up anyway.

I would suggest to you that you contact one of this sites more popular SCT tuners for assistance. Run the Live Link 3 software (running on a dyno or on the road) and then email the results (including the dyno pull) to the tuner. He will make adjustments to your tune and then email it back to you to be dumped into the PCM.

You stated that you believe your engine is running rich. 99% of your driving is probably done in closed loop and not at WOT (wide open throttle - open loop) so its very important that closed loop operation be calibrated properly. In any case you should not be running rich in closed loop.

I am an SCT Dealer, purchased the Advantage lll software back in March of this year. I work in conjunction with my local speed shop (Mustang Muscle) due the to the liabilty insurance requirements.

We are not a site sponsor. We have all the business here locally that we can handle. Your more popular site SCT tuners have waaaay more experience than we do. So use them.

My spill chicker isnt wurkin

Later

Last edited by GT John; 8/16/08 at 07:04 AM.