GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

WMS INTAKE TUNING NOW SHIPPING DYNO RESULTS HERE

Search this Thread

Old 8/29/05, 11:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monday I finished up the WMS tunes that I am now shipping on X-calibrator 1 or 2 programmers. The surprise of the day was the optional 90MM mass air makes a lot more power than the 80mm when tuned. This may be why Steeda changed from 85mm to 90mm two months ago and why C&L is releasing a new 90MM mass air in September.

The other good news is no matter which mass air you choose the throttle response is night and day different than no tune at all. Your car will rev and respond faster than your factory computer tune. Not only do you pick up the peak HP listed below but this type of power is found all the time. Even as low as 3,000 rpm’s you are picking up a significant amount of power.

The GT in test was your basic 05 Mustang 5 speed with pulleys, axleback, and a Spec clutch & flywheel on a dynojet pulling in 4th gear. The systems tested were non-ram air systems. On the dyno a ram air will not add power. In theory once the vehicle is moving power should increase with the ram air system.

POWER GAINS BY JUST ADDING A TUNE:
Power gained when adding a Brenspeed tune to the 90MM WMS system. This is using the 80MM WMS with no tune numbers as a baseline. This is power gained by just adding the tune.
15.57 rwhp @ 6100 RPM from tune only
14.63 torque @ 4400 RPM from tune

Power gained when adding a Brenspeed tune to the 80MM WMS system. This is using the 80MM WMS as a baseline. This is power gained by just adding the tune.
9.97 rwhp @ 6100 RPM
9.59 torque @ 4400 RPM

Our air fuel is super safe. We can make it leaner for you if you are a weekend racer which will result in a little more power.

POWER GAINED WITH JUST THE WMS INTAKE TO ESTABLISH A BASELINE:
Power gained when adding the WMS 80MM air intake in place of the stock air box with no tune. This is the power we gained by just adding the WMS intake.
7.37 rwhp @ 5900 RPM
-4.32 torque @4400 RPM (KEEP READING)

I want to point out that our car is not exactly the same as the one tested by WMS. WMS tested there car a different day, different enviornment, and even on a different type dyno. According to the WMS website their test car was running really rich. Our test car was running a 12.4 A/F with the stock air box and the WMS car was around a 12.0 A/F. This may be the reason we did not pick up the gains claimed by WMS on the air system alone.The GOOD news is the tune brings out the power in the WMS system and I would say it is a must if you want to maximize the power of your WMS intake.

If you have a WMS intake and would like these programs give us a call. $379 for an X-calibrator 2 loaded with 3 programs, free USB cable, and free shipping. $369 if you order before September 1st.

sales@brenspeed.com or 574.834.7455

Old 8/29/05, 11:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Dang. I was wondering about that 90mm maf. Should have ordered it...

Regardless, I will call you tomorrow...

Mike Elia
SoCal: The land of crappy gas...
Old 8/30/05, 12:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Is it to late to order the 90mm maf
Old 8/30/05, 05:01 AM
Bullitt Member

What octane fuel were you using?
Old 8/30/05, 05:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

[quote=BRENSPEED,August 29, 2005, 11:38 PM][size=2]Monday I finished up the WMS tunes that I am now shipping on X-calibrator 1 or 2 programmers. The surprise of the day was the optional 90MM mass air makes a lot more power than the 80mm when tuned. This may be why Steeda changed from 85mm to 90mm two months ago and why C&L is releasing a new 90MM mass air in September.

I'm a little confused (nothing new).....WMS website shows a 95mm, not 90.
Old 8/30/05, 05:44 AM
Bullitt Member

[quote=outdoorstom,August 30, 2005, 7:35 AM]
Originally Posted by BRENSPEED,August 29, 2005, 11:38 PM
[size=2]Monday I finished up the WMS tunes that I am now shipping on X-calibrator 1 or 2 programmers. The surprise of the day was the optional 90MM mass air makes a lot more power than the 80mm when tuned. This may be why Steeda changed from 85mm to 90mm two months ago and why C&L is releasing a new 90MM mass air in September.
I'm a little confused (nothing new).....WMS website shows a 95mm, not 90.
I was just going to post that also.
Old 8/30/05, 06:10 AM
V6 Member

Brenspeed, how much hp will i sacrafice using a low octane tune as opposed to the 91 or 93. Thanks in advance.

Sean
Old 8/30/05, 06:22 AM
JLH

Did you monitor the intake temps. If so how much differnce with fan on rad. off/on. Reason being will the real world underhood temps while driving cause issues if you don't use the ram air. Have you done any intake temp monitoring while driving the car

Thanks
Old 8/30/05, 07:41 AM
Bullitt Member

I replied to your PM Brent. I love the MAF, it didnt affect the A/R ratio as u and I have mentioned. Thanks for getting those numbers out to us as promised. Looks somewhat promising...
IMO..the kit should only be purchased w/ the heat shield. For the extra few bucks, it worth it. I didnt loose any TQ with just the 80mm WMS kit as shown above, but I did gain 1.5 ft lbs w/ no tune
Old 8/30/05, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

A few answers...

Not sure why the website says 95mm because written on the bubble wrap that was around the MAF says 90mm.

My inlet temps were a bit higher than expected but nothing crazy that would have caused a huge HP drop.

I run 93 octane. Dont expect a huge HP decrease running 87 or 91 but you will drop a few HP with 87, but even less with 91. Throttle response will still be excellent with 87 octane just like all of our other tunes we have for 87 octane.

WMS is completely out of ALL MASS AIR'S as of now. After current orders ship they wont have more MAF's for a few weeks or maybe a month. That is the 80mm and 90mm mass air's. This was what Shannon told me yesterday.

I might have 1 or 2 90mm left but I need to confirm this later today.

Old 8/30/05, 12:39 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

The results with the WMS are concerning......they are no where near the advertised values. And the thought of losing power under certain conditions.....that's not good.

Thanks for the information Brent
Old 8/30/05, 02:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks, Brent... I'll be looking for it!

Mike Elia
Old 8/30/05, 02:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Dan@August 30, 2005, 12:42 PM
The results with the WMS are concerning......they are no where near the advertised values. And the thought of losing power under certain conditions.....that's not good.

Thanks for the information Brent

I agree Dan....these numbers aren't even close!
Old 8/30/05, 03:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So Brent compared to the C&L that was installed which gave you better results?
Old 8/30/05, 03:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by outdoorstom@August 30, 2005, 1:22 PM
I agree Dan....these numbers aren't even close!
I'm concerned too . . . so I e-mailed Shannon with the following.

Shannon,

Those of us who participaited in this group buy directly from WMS are concerned that there are not yet any new pictures on your web site of the final ram air tray. Additionally, we are a bit unnerved by the results of testing performed by one of your dealers, BRENSPEED.

I've included the information below for your convenience or it can be found at http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=33138.

"Monday I finished up the WMS tunes that I am now shipping on X-calibrator 1 or 2 programmers. The surprise of the day was the optional 90MM mass air makes a lot more power than the 80mm when tuned. This may be why Steeda changed from 85mm to 90mm two months ago and why C&L is releasing a new 90MM mass air in September.

The other good news is no matter which mass air you choose the throttle response is night and day different than no tune at all. Your car will rev and respond faster than your factory computer tune. Not only do you pick up the peak HP listed below but this type of power is found all the time. Even as low as 3,000 rpm’s you are picking up a significant amount of power.

The GT in test was your basic 05 Mustang 5 speed with pulleys, axleback, and a Spec clutch & flywheel on a dynojet pulling in 4th gear. The systems tested were non-ram air systems. On the dyno a ram air will not add power. In theory once the vehicle is moving power should increase with the ram air system.

POWER GAINS BY JUST ADDING A TUNE:
Power gained when adding a Brenspeed tune to the 90MM WMS system. This is using the 80MM WMS with no tune numbers as a baseline. This is power gained by just adding the tune.
15.57 rwhp @ 6100 RPM from tune only
14.63 torque @ 4400 RPM from tune

Power gained when adding a Brenspeed tune to the 80MM WMS system. This is using the 80MM WMS as a baseline. This is power gained by just adding the tune.
9.97 rwhp @ 6100 RPM
9.59 torque @ 4400 RPM

Our air fuel is super safe. We can make it leaner for you if you are a weekend racer which will result in a little more power.

POWER GAINED WITH JUST THE WMS INTAKE TO ESTABLISH A BASELINE:
Power gained when adding the WMS 80MM air intake in place of the stock air box with no tune. This is the power we gained by just adding the WMS intake.
7.37 rwhp @ 5900 RPM
-4.32 torque @4400 RPM (KEEP READING)

I want to point out that our car is not exactly the same as the one tested by WMS. WMS tested there car a different day, different enviornment, and even on a different type dyno. According to the WMS website their test car was running really rich. Our test car was running a 12.4 A/F with the stock air box and the WMS car was around a 12.0 A/F. This may be the reason we did not pick up the gains claimed by WMS on the air system alone.The GOOD news is the tune brings out the power in the WMS system and I would say it is a must if you want to maximize the power of your WMS intake.

If you have a WMS intake and would like these programs give us a call. $379 for an X-calibrator 2 loaded with 3 programs, free USB cable, and free shipping. $369 if you order before September 1st.

sales@brenspeed.com or 574.834.7455"

Would you mind clarifying for our TMS membership why there is such a difference between this testing and the information contained on your web site? We would also like to know when we can expect updated photos of the final ram air tray?
Old 8/30/05, 05:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I was told my heat sheild will be sent out tomorrow. If so...we'll have PICS up by the weekend, as long as I get it on Friday, I'll post PICS of it on Friday.
Old 8/30/05, 11:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Those numbers are a bit disappointing, especially given the trumped up expectations many had for this intake (I've been following its development eagerly). It seems like every couple months a new tube comes along and everybody expects to bolt it on, upload a tune, and see a 30 rwhp gain. Most combos realistically produce about half that much, regardless of whose tube/tune you're using.

That said, I DO think that the WMS setup in particular is unfairly handicapped on the dyno. At highway speeds (w/the shield) it should really shine. As any of us who regularly pull 100+ can attest (hood shake, anyone?), our ponies flow a LOT of air just under the hood, at precisely the location where that "cookie sheet" will scoop it up. Not a true ram air set up, per se, but awfully dam close. Despite these somewhat underwhelming power gains, I still think a car with this set up should pull really well up top...
Old 9/6/05, 04:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Brent must have really put some time into playing with this setup since posting his first dyno numbers :scratch: .

I visited his web site today http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_200...s/wmsxcal2.gif

It says the WMS and X-2 commonly achieve a 30+ HP gain .

I wonder when he plans on filling us in with a little update ?
Old 9/6/05, 07:47 PM
Bullitt Member

lyin'King, U looking to start trouble

I hope my gains are that common....or something.One could hope...
Old 9/6/05, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by The Lyin' King@September 6, 2005, 6:56 PM
Brent must have really put some time into playing with this setup since posting his first dyno numbers :scratch: .

I visited his web site today http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_200...s/wmsxcal2.gif

It says the WMS and X-2 commonly achieve a 30+ HP gain .

I wonder when he plans on filling us in with a little update ?

Somethings amiss here. :scratch: Just adding the tray is going to help produce another 15hp.

Quick Reply: WMS INTAKE TUNING NOW SHIPPING DYNO RESULTS HERE