GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Who makes a brake upgrade (stock size)?

Search this Thread

Old 9/28/07, 11:20 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who makes a brake upgrade (stock size)?

Who makes an upgraded brake system (good quality vented and slotted rotors) without changing the stock size wheels?
Old 9/28/07, 11:30 AM
Cobra Member

Hawk Performance offers ceramic brake pads and Power Slot offers slotted rotors. Check this out from tirerack.com:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...oModClar=Coupe

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/LEWISJ%7E1.JOU/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image002.gif[/IMG] http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...oModClar=Coupe
Old 9/28/07, 11:35 AM
Cobra Member

You can also get them from Ninosport.com.
Slotted rotors:
http://www.ninosport.com/Mustang/Brake-Rotors
Brake Pads:
http://www.ninosport.com/Mustang/Brake-Pads
Old 9/28/07, 05:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MSGTGT
Who makes an aesthetically, but not functionally, upgraded brake system (good quality vented and slotted rotors) without changing the stock size wheels?
Fixed that for you.

If you want an upgrade, do pads and lines. The rotors aren't going to do jack for you, other than hurt performance. They do look cool, though.
Old 9/29/07, 07:55 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AGBULLIT
Hawk Performance offers ceramic brake pads and Power Slot offers slotted rotors. Check this out from tirerack.com:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...oModClar=Coupe

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/LEWISJ%7E1.JOU/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image002.gif[/IMG] http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...oModClar=Coupe
Thanks for the help. I've heard good things about those Hawk brake pads.
Old 9/29/07, 07:59 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Import-Slaya
Fixed that for you.

If you want an upgrade, do pads and lines. The rotors aren't going to do jack for you, other than hurt performance. They do look cool, though.
Thanks for the advice...and humor. You are the first one to ever point that fact out to me. I have always heard that slotted and vented rotors were better. At least...that is how they are marketed.
Old 9/29/07, 08:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Performance change pads, lines and Fluid for road course track events. Could probably get away with not doing but still good to do.
Old 9/29/07, 08:31 AM
Cobra Member

StopTech Stage 2 brake upgrade kit from Brenspeed:

http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/brakes.html
Old 9/30/07, 08:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Import-Slaya
Fixed that for you.

I'm with Import-Slaya on this one. We both track our cars regularly at road courses for HPDEs.

I just installed stainless lines and R-compound pads on the car, and wow what a difference. No need for slotted/drilled rotors, the stock ones are fine. Anything else is simply cosmetic.

Don't forget to do a full high-temp fluid flush with DOT 5 or better!
Old 9/30/07, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the advice...and humor. You are the first one to ever point that fact out to me. I have always heard that slotted and vented rotors were better. At least...that is how they are marketed.

If you take off your wheels, take a look at the stock rotors--they've got cooling vanes in the center. Nothing fancy looking like aftermarket stuff, but they work fine and don't cost an arm and a leg.
Old 10/1/07, 11:19 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

If you want to improve braking performance, you need better clamping power (the brake system) and better traction/grip with the road (tires).

Rotors alone won't do much unless you are serious about road course racing and they are something you are adding to an already upgraded system. The GT500 Brembo 4 piston kit I installed last year comes with normal rotors, not drilled or slotted, and they work great. This kit has proved more then I need for my driving - though I absolutely love the extra power - in fact the other day, first time ever, I heard a chirp on braking. Made me smile..

Good luck.

PS - a small wheel spacer isn't a big deal if there's a kit out there that you want but won't fit under your stock wheels. spacers are much cheaper then new wheels.

Kristina
Old 10/1/07, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rondosa
If you want to improve braking performance, you need better clamping power (the brake system) and better traction/grip with the road (tires).

That's also worth noting--ask any serious racer at the track, they'll tell you that your tire selection will influence how well your car stops just as much as the brakes do.

Stickier tires = shorter stopping distances, but usually also increased wear/decreased tire life.
Old 10/1/07, 11:53 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Rondosa

Rotors alone won't do much unless you are serious about road course racing and they are something you are adding to an already upgraded system. The GT500 Brembo 4 piston kit I installed last year comes with normal rotors, not drilled or slotted, and they work great. This kit has proved more then I need for my driving - though I absolutely love the extra power - in fact the other day, first time ever, I heard a chirp on braking. Made me smile..

Good luck.

PS - a small wheel spacer isn't a big deal if there's a kit out there that you want but won't fit under your stock wheels. spacers are much cheaper then new wheels.

Kristina
Thanks! I really didn't want to put a lot of money out for something that just LOOKS good. With everyones advice...I will put the money where it counts and get the results that I'm looking for. I'm surprised however, that no one spoke up to defend drilled and slotted rotors. I figured there would be at least a few. But...that only makes my choice easier. Thanks again.
Old 10/1/07, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey MSGTGT,

You gonna do the lines and pads?
Give me a shout. I'd like to help, watch, so I know how to redo my lines.

hags1
Old 10/1/07, 02:20 PM

Thanks! I really didn't want to put a lot of money out for something that just LOOKS good. With everyones advice...I will put the money where it counts and get the results that I'm looking for. I'm surprised however, that no one spoke up to defend drilled and slotted rotors. I figured there would be at least a few. But...that only makes my choice easier. Thanks again.

If you've GOT to have one, the slotted-style are a safer bet. There have been many reports of cross-drilled rotors that have cracked because of heat expansion under heavy use. Don't know if you're planning to track your car, but this would be a major concern for me if I had the cross-drilled.
Old 10/2/07, 06:02 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by hags1
Hey MSGTGT,

You gonna do the lines and pads?
Give me a shout. I'd like to help, watch, so I know how to redo my lines.

hags1
Hey Hags! How's it going? I haven't seen you on the road in a while.

I'm not sure when I'll attempt this...but when I do I'll let you know.
Old 10/2/07, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Hags! How's it going? I haven't seen you on the road in a while.

I'm not sure when I'll attempt this...but when I do I'll let you know.
My car has been in the shop for some work.....went up to Marv's for gears and dyno time....I put in headers last weekend and CMCV plates....going back to Marv's again and then I should be done for the year....getting ready to store the car for the winter, so it may only be out a few more times.....the long wait for spring is soon to begin....

I'd like to do s.s. lines, pads, and rotors next....not to sure on how to swap out the lines without making a mess of the situation....

hags1
Old 10/2/07, 11:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Who makes an upgraded brake system (good quality vented and slotted rotors) without changing the stock size wheels?
Depends on what your stock wheels are. 17's, you may get better two piece rotor (aluminum hat) in the stock size. Try DBA (Disc Brake Austalia). A light weight rotor reduces rotational mass, helping get-up-and-go as well as stopping performance.

18' fan blades can accept Baer Eradispeed kits that increase rotor size a little and use the stock calipers with a caliper relocation bracket. Use those in conjuntion with better pads and maybe opt for a two piece rotor here as well.

I'd also stay away from cross drilled stock sized rotors as they reduce available friction surface and may be prone to cracking due to high temperature heat cycling. Slotted rotors also reduce the friction surface a little but they can aid in keeping a good clean, straight surface on the pads.

Good pads on a full surface rotor will go a long way so you don't really need slotting or cross drilling with the right pads.
Old 10/2/07, 01:06 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Originally Posted by 06GT
If you've GOT to have one, the slotted-style are a safer bet. There have been many reports of cross-drilled rotors that have cracked because of heat expansion under heavy use. Don't know if you're planning to track your car, but this would be a major concern for me if I had the cross-drilled.

Yes. I installed Brembo Cross Drilled rotors and KBC pads on my previous car and the rotors warped a bit and the pads cracked off their backings. Needless to say I went with a proper kit this time around and have been very happy (though my wheels get so filthy so quickly now).

There are rotors out there that are slotted and dimpled, for the cross drilled look. My feeling is that if they aren't CAST that way, drilling into them never produces the results you want.

Good luck!

Kristina

ps - my recollection is that the Eradispeed kit that uses stock calipers with bigger rotors costs nearly the same that I paid for my entire Brembo upgrade through Ford.
Old 10/2/07, 03:05 PM
GT Member

Thanks to everyone who responded. I truely appreciate you sharing your experiance. I think it is clear that drilled and slotted rotors are not a bargain. This will save me a lot of time and money.

Quick Reply: Who makes a brake upgrade (stock size)?