GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Whipple/KB Questions

Search this Thread

Old 3/22/08, 04:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nickvaz
Does the KB scream like the whipple?
Not really, unless you put on some more boost, and it still doesn't have the "slide whistle" type scream of the Whipple, just a loud whine. Most KB's are pretty quite at idle, mine, for some reason whines pretty loud at idle, which is pretty uncommon for a KB, but then you can't hear it much once you get on it when the exhaust drowns some of the whine out.

But usually, for the same boost levels, a KB is quiter than a Whipple, and don't scream as much. Here's a link to mine on the dyno on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JASeXWxXpb8

Last edited by Hatchman; 3/22/08 at 04:56 AM.
Old 3/22/08, 09:28 PM
Bullitt Member

man, I really want one of these but they are just so darn expensive...
Old 3/24/08, 09:21 AM
GT Member

Thanks for all of your input. Now I just need to find a buyer for my Paxton.

Te be continued...............
Old 3/24/08, 10:03 AM

I loves my KB. It does whine at WOT when you are over 10 PSI.
Never had a single problem with it. Still on the original serpentine belt.

Old 3/24/08, 10:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ramairgt1
I disagree...if they were to use their own you would never be able to get your stock tune back if it were ever needed. They would also not be able to use the tuner again as it would have a stock program locked into it.
Most likely he will need to buy some sort of hand held tuner so it can stay with the car incase anything ever needs to be changed.
Duh! HA. What was I thinking when I wrote that? You're right you need your own tuner I think.
Old 3/24/08, 10:40 AM
GT Member

I already have the blue 39lb fuel injectors from the paxton kit. Will I be able to use them with either the KB or Whip? Also, I have the KB BAP, so I shouldn't need to get a new or different one with the KB kit right? Does the KB get come with an upgraded fuel pump like the Whipple?
Old 3/24/08, 10:54 AM
Cobra Member

KB uses KB BAP and Whipple uses GT500 fuel pump(s)
Old 3/24/08, 02:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I already have the blue 39lb fuel injectors from the paxton kit. Will I be able to use them with either the KB or Whip? Also, I have the KB BAP, so I shouldn't need to get a new or different one with the KB kit right? Does the KB get come with an upgraded fuel pump like the Whipple?
Yes, you are able to use your old 39lb inj, no difference. The tuner KB kit does not come with injectors.
All KB kits come with a BAP, but you can use the one you already have and sell the other.
Old 3/24/08, 03:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Whipple over KB. The whine. But in truth theres no difference in the happiness a s/c will bring. Hah
Old 3/24/08, 04:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hatchman
Custom dyno tune from RWTD here. James is a super tuner, great customer service. My car has had a couple of 'canned' tunes, and it either pinged or puffed black smoke. It always picked up more hp after a custom tune, andsafer fuel / timing to boot. So having more hp with a safer fuel and timing curve, it's worth the investment to me to go custom. Plus I just love running my car on the dyno.

I went with the KB because it's:
Bigger 2.6 > 2.3
Spins slower for same amount of boost, more efficient
Lower IAT Temps (don't get the polished, they retain more heat)
True Cold Air System (sucks it from outside the engine compartment)
Bigger 12" filter (9" for Whipple)
IAT sensor upstream of
inlet (Whipple can be moved)
Billet case
Edit: around the same price

I really like the Whipple too, and the fuel pump that comes with it, and it looks great, like it was suppossed to come on the car from the factory. Whipple also comes with spark plugs, but I can buy some HTO's for the KB. The Whipple also has a bigger intercooler, but since it's sucking in more hot engine compartment air, it probably needs it.

As far as RWHP results, seems the Whipple puts out a little more, but then again it comes as an 10psi kit where the KB is 8psi. Of course, swapping out a pulley and getting a tune will fix that on a KB. But mine put down 476 RWHP uncorrected on a cold/dry night, so that's plenty for me on 8 psi and a stock block. Either kit can get you in the 450-500 rwhp range no problem. KB is a little bigger, so more potential once/if you go built.

Either one of these kits you can't go wrong, both are awesome. Whipple has better looking pulleys though, ha! Kenne Bell you can get polished, but a lot more money and doesn't vent heat as well.

Hope this helps, I was asking the same question a year and a half ago.
+1 on what Brad said! He obviously did a lot of research before buying his KB. My KB with the 8 lb. pulley dynoed @ 451 rwhp with the KB canned tune. The A/F ratio was a little lean, so I changed to a 10 lb. pulley and got a custom tune from a local SCT tuner. The A/F is now much safer, and I'm now at 498 rwhp on stock internals. I may be rolling the dice, but IMO it's worth it!

I do agree that any twin screw is a blast. It comes down to personal preference and overall budget. My SC cost me a little more because I opted to get the GT500 dual pumps and sell the BAP that came with the kit.
Old 3/24/08, 05:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for all of your input. Now I just need to find a buyer for my Paxton.

Te be continued...............
Since you're so desperate.... how much do you need for it?
Old 3/24/08, 08:31 PM

I chose both.......I had the KB 2.6 and got the motor built so I could turn up the boost. I was dissapointed with my 520 rwhp on 100 octane
ST Motorsports adapted a Whipple 3.4 to fit, but the 2.3 is not far behind in performance. The Whipple is a more complete kit and the Whipple has lower IAT's. I still have my KB manifold and the cold air comes in by the bumper.

Both kits are going to perform, its like splitting hairs. Good luck.
Old 3/24/08, 08:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Whipple's kit is very nice. Intercooler and heat exchanger are both larger and any blower should be dyno tuned for sure. Like someone stated before, both the KB and Whipple will bring happiness, but I can vouch for the Whipple HO kit. Very nice, complete, and reliable kit.
Old 3/25/08, 06:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by anthony05gt
Whipple's kit is very nice. Intercooler and heat exchanger are both larger and any blower should be dyno tuned for sure. Like someone stated before, both the KB and Whipple will bring happiness, but I can vouch for the Whipple HO kit. Very nice, complete, and reliable kit.
Why does it need to be dyno tuned? I hear the Whipple tune is very good. Granted you can probably get another 20-40 hp from a dyno tune, but if conservative is what you want, why not Whipples?
Old 3/25/08, 06:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Because the goal is to make sure the tune is spot-on...... you don't want your new $5k+ blower install to also equal a $5k+ engine rebuild. The Whipple, KB, and Saleen tunes will all be good, (likely) safe tunes but having a pro tune it = good insurance.
Old 3/25/08, 09:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Because the goal is to make sure the tune is spot-on...... you don't want your new $5k+ blower install to also equal a $5k+ engine rebuild. The Whipple, KB, and Saleen tunes will all be good, (likely) safe tunes but having a pro tune it = good insurance.
Indeed. I've seen people getting custom tunes with the whipple that run around 470 rwhp. How exactly do the tuners, "tune down" their tunes so it's in a safer HP range(say 430/440)?
Old 3/25/08, 09:40 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by tw0scoops123
Indeed. I've seen people getting custom tunes with the whipple that run around 470 rwhp. How exactly do the tuners, "tune down" their tunes so it's in a safer HP range(say 430/440)?
I think it's mostly playing with the timing while making sure that the air/fuel ratio is optimal.
Old 3/25/08, 11:15 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Larmo
Since you're so desperate.... how much do you need for it?
Who said any thing about being desperate? How much for what?
Old 3/25/08, 11:28 AM
GT Member

Well, after a long talk with one of my friends at GTR High Performance, the best thing for me to do is add an intercooler to my paxton 1200. I could easily see another 50rwhp to my 379, which would put me over my goal of having 400+. I'll save a **** load of money and could always trade in my 1200 head unit to Paxton for a 2200. Both systems use the same mounting, plumbing, etc.

Again, thanks for the replys.
Old 3/25/08, 12:43 PM
Cobra Member

Who said any thing about being desperate? How much for what?
I think he thought that you were desperate about getting rid of the blower...and he is asking how much you wanted for the blower if you were planning to sell to upgrade to a Whipple/KB

PS I think its wise that your just going to add the IC...Seems like a fairly simple upgrade with great results

Quick Reply: Whipple/KB Questions