GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

When do you notice the gains of long tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 9/21/07, 07:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When do you notice the gains of long tubes?

I'm going back-and-forth on whether or not I should get long tubes. How loud they will be is not that much of a concern now, what is a concern is when I will notice the gains. Will they be felt throughout the rpm range or only above a certain number. My car is a daily driver that will probably never see the race track or drag strip. Right now, I have no plans to get a S/C but one never knows, I might bow to the pressure.

Jon
Old 9/21/07, 07:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

I personally feel mine come on around 3000rpm.....from there up they scream. if you not going to race you might want to go in a different direction. Really the only benefit your going to get out of them would be the sound. and only you can justify the cost at that point.
Old 9/21/07, 07:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FordRacing
I personally feel mine come on around 3000rpm.....from there up they scream. if you not going to race you might want to go in a different direction. Really the only benefit your going to get out of them would be the sound. and only you can justify the cost at that point.
Jon, +1 to everything he said. When you get on the car on a highway, the upper RPM band the car is just a rocket!! I don't track mine at all, but the power is just wonderful to have, and to be all honest, I did this upgrade mostly for the sound (an expensive sound upgrade, lol). The extra power in the upper RPMs was an amazing bonus.
Old 9/21/07, 07:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

Given the way I drive the car, long tubes would be an expensive upgrade for mainly a sound improvement, but the power would be nice! For what LT's cost, I could do a whole lot more to the car if I went another direction, but what direction should I go?

Jon
Old 9/21/07, 09:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
long tubes tend to work better have more inpact in lower rpm range where as the short tube are better for higher rpm's