GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

What's the verdict on the C&L intake manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 10/15/08, 07:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the verdict on the C&L intake manifold?

Anybody have one of these things? I'm guessing it will give some help at higher rpm's
Old 10/15/08, 10:39 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't heard anything about them for a while. Doesn't seem like it will give the gains they were hoping for.
Old 10/16/08, 08:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005+ C&L 3-VALVE MUSTANG INTAKE MANIFOLD
COMING THIS WINTER!

C&L is pleased to announce as of September 1, 2008 production tooling is complete and the manifold has been test fit on our 2005 GT. We are making final adjustments to the casting and we should be doing dyno testing soon. This product has been in development since December of 2005, and was first shown publicly at the 30th anniversary event for the Mustang Club of America on September 1st and 2nd, 2006. The information provided on this page is intended to disclose our findings during the development of this product, so that our customers will FULLY understand what can and can not be expected from an aftermarket intake developed for this application.

http://www.cnlperformance.com/05_3v.html
Old 10/16/08, 05:18 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm waiting for this manifold's release. I believe my '07 GT could benefit from this manifold based on the following excerpt from C&L's website....

"...Given the flow rate of the stock intake manifold, it does not appear to be a restriction on your typical stock or mildly modified application where the cylinder heads have not been modified. This is not to say that a higher flowing intake manifold "CAN NOT" improve performance over stock, but rather to confirm that the factory intake does not represent a measurable restriction on the stock factory cylinder heads. Because of this, we are not willing to "go out on a limb" and make ANY potential power gain predictions based solely on airflow. This testing shows that the primary user for an upgraded intake manifold on this engine will be using either ported cylinder heads, a form of supercharging, or both. These are the people who will benefit most from an aftermarket intake upgrade. People with completely stock engines MIGHT find some improvement, and we will be happy to provide exact details when they are available, but our initial testing has indicated that any aftermarket intake for this engine will only be ideal for more heavily modified applications."
Old 10/17/08, 06:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is getting harder and harder to bring out aftermarket parts that stomp the factory parts. With all the demands placed on the factories for emissions, fuel economy and performance, they just can't send cars out with the crappy parts that they used to.

For that reason, ANYTIME a company releases a part for my car and claims xx hp, I REALLY doubt it until I have seen they dyno results from several different people online.

Case where it was true: CAI and a good tune 25/30 hp/trq is NOT uncommon. Nice!

Case where it was flat out false: The billet throttle body that was good for 45 hp with the tune and CAI. Not even worth 5 hp over the tune and CAI and no where NEAR the 45 hp claimed all total.

It is good to see companies like C&L explain what conditions are required to see the gain or even any improvement with their part. That does wonders for my faith in a given company.