GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

What's the best-mid pipe for GTAs?

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/07, 07:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What's the best-mid pipe for GTAs?

Do they sound the best with an X-pipe or a Prochamber? I found a place that has a Pypes O/R X-pipe for only $129. I see everyone getting GTAs but haven't heard of too many people putting an aftermarket mid-pipe with them.
Old 6/16/07, 08:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm running the GTA's with a offroad Mac Prochamber. I like it. Never heard them with an X-pipe. BTW, I have "no drone".
Scott

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...rent=Dyno2.flv

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...rent=Dyno3.flv
Old 6/16/07, 08:41 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm running the FRPP X-pipe on mine. No drone at all and, unfortunately, no sound files to share...
Old 6/16/07, 08:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
I'm running the GTA's with a offroad Mac Prochamber. I like it. Never heard them with an X-pipe. BTW, I have "no drone".
Scott

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...rent=Dyno2.flv

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...rent=Dyno3.flv
Yeah yours are the only ones I've seen so far with anything other than stock. I take that back, some other guy has an FRPP X-pipe but it still has the factory cats. Yours sound great. But the Prochamber is $400+ and the Pypes is only $129.
Old 6/16/07, 10:47 AM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,790 Posts
My understanding is this..When running an off road mid pipe ? chambered mufflers, such as GTA's and Flowmasters, sound best with either an o/r H, or o/r Prochamber. On the other hand, straight thru designed mufflers, such as FRPP stingers, Magnaflows, SLP loudmouths and Pypes violators, are best suited for o/r X pipes. Therefore, if your looking for that deep throaty muscle car sound, from a chambered muffler ? stay away from off road X pipes, otherwise you'll end up with that raspy/tinny, higher pitched sound instead..Personally speaking, I'll either be going with the Pypes off road H pipe, or MRT off road H, with my stock axle backs.
Old 6/16/07, 11:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
My understanding is this..When running an off road mid pipe ? chambered mufflers, such as GTA's and Flowmasters, sound best with either an o/r H, or o/r Prochamber. On the other hand, straight thru designed mufflers, such as FRPP stingers, Magnaflows, SLP loudmouths and Pypes violators, are best suited for o/r X pipes. Therefore, if your looking for that deep throaty muscle car sound, from a chambered muffler ? stay away from off road X pipes, otherwise you'll end up with that raspy/tinny, higher pitched sound instead..Personally speaking, I'll either be going with the Pypes off road H pipe, or MRT off road H, with my stock axle backs.
Ok, I was thinking it was the other way around. Especially since Ford uses an x-pipe with the GTAs on the Shelby GT-H and Shelby GT(I think). And I've heard clips of Stingers with an h-pipe(TacoBill for one) that sound excellent.
Old 6/16/07, 01:31 PM
GT Member

I have them together with the FRPP X-pipe. Make them sound a bit deeper and smoother, and slightly louder at WOT, I love the combo, and it's still legal from the emission, which is nice too. There are plenty of clips of Shelby GTs and GT-Hs online, they sound just like that...
Old 6/16/07, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jimp
Ok, I was thinking it was the other way around. Especially since Ford uses an x-pipe with the GTAs on the Shelby GT-H and Shelby GT(I think). And I've heard clips of Stingers with an h-pipe(TacoBill for one) that sound excellent.
Yes, your correct, Ford does use an X-pipe with GTA's on the Shelby GT. However, Ford also uses the factory cats along with them. As for off road applications ? if your looking for the deep muscle car sound ? then yes, you can run both a chambered and straight thru designed muffler, with either an off road H or off road Prochamber, but if you run a chambered muffler with an off road X-pipe/with no cats.. you'll end up with a tinny/raspy, higher pitched sound instead.
Old 6/16/07, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by sycd
I have them together with the FRPP X-pipe. Make them sound a bit deeper and smoother, and slightly louder at WOT, I love the combo, and it's still legal from the emission, which is nice too. There are plenty of clips of Shelby GTs and GT-Hs online, they sound just like that...
The reason why yours sound deeper ? is because you still use the factory cats..I was strictly referring to off road X-pipe applications only.
Old 6/16/07, 04:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yes, your correct, Ford does use an X-pipe with GTA's on the Shelby GT. However, Ford also uses the factory cats along with them. As for off road applications ? if your looking for the deep muscle car sound ? then yes, you can run both a chambered and straight thru designed muffler, with either an off road H or off road Prochamber, but if you run a chambered muffler with an off road X-pipe/with no cats.. you'll end up with a tinny/raspy, higher pitched sound instead.
Ok, thanks for the info. That's exactly what i wanted to know. I've done searches about it and found exactly one post where a guy put an O/R H with GTAs and he said it sounded like crap. I haven't heard a sound clip so I don't know. I guess I could try it myself and let everyone know.
Old 6/17/07, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jimp
Ok, thanks for the info. That's exactly what i wanted to know. I've done searches about it and found exactly one post where a guy put an O/R H with GTAs and he said it sounded like crap. I haven't heard a sound clip so I don't know. I guess I could try it myself and let everyone know.
Well all I can say is.. if GTA's with an off road H sound like crap ? they'll sound even worse with an off road X..As I previously mentioned, straight thru designed mufflers sound best with off road X-pipes, and also with off road H-pipes. However, chambered mufflers such as the stock axle backs, GTA's and Flowmasters, are designed for and sound best, with off road H-pipes or off road Prochambers, exclusively.. And once again, I'm strictly referring to off road mid pipes only, and not those which include factory or high flow cats.
Old 6/17/07, 02:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well all I can say is.. if GTA's with an off road H sound like crap ? they'll sound even worse with an off road X..As I previously mentioned, straight thru designed mufflers sound best with off road X-pipes, and also with off road H-pipes. However, chambered mufflers such as the stock axle backs, GTA's and Flowmasters, are designed for and sound best, with off road H-pipes or off road Prochambers, exclusively.. And once again, I'm strictly referring to off road mid pipes only, and not those which include factory or high flow cats.
I believe you man. I'm just telling you what some other guy said.

So I'm going to think about getting an O/R H or LTs+O/R H. Thanks for the info.
Old 6/17/07, 03:57 PM

NP, just want to let you know, that you can't always rely on sound clips as the sound quality on some, have been nothing short of sounding like something coming out of an empty soup can lol. I've listened to both off road H and X pipes with chambered mufflers personally, and can tell you that if you're really searching for that deep/throaty muscle car sound ? the off road H, is your best option IMHO I'll be giving Brenspeed a phone call tomorrow, to find out if he carries the Pypes off road H-pipe, in 409 grade stainless steel, and if he does ? I'll be placing my order.. Otherwise, I'll order the MRT off road H-pipe, that's available in 304 grade stainless steel..
Old 6/18/07, 05:36 AM

I've been running the GTA's/Pypes O/R H combo for a while now. I don't have any sounds clips though. I like the sound and I'm sure the neighbors do too, lol. They're just deep enough growl for me.

They do have that "trumpeting" sound though at around 2500 RPM, but it dosn't bother me. I'm sure other would be bothered if you don't like that sound though.
Old 6/18/07, 08:14 PM

I had the chance today, to speak with Dave, from Brenspeed about going with an off road H-pipe, with my stock axle backs. And according to both him and Brent ! they found that during their R&D testing, the Mustang's 3v 4.6 produces a raspier/tinny sound, when compared to the previous SN-95 Stang's 2v and 4v 4.6, regardless of whether an off road H or X was used, although he also mentioned, that the off road X, was even raspier than the off road H. Dave also confirmed, that for those who are concerned about achieving that deep muscle car sound ? both he and Brent recommend running either long tubes, with high-flow catted H or X pipes, stock manifolds with catted X-pipes or stock manifolds, with factory H-pipe w/cats..He also recommends, that unless your Stang is to be used for track and racing applications only ? there's very little to be gained, performance wise by going with either an off road H or X pipe, as the factory cats are considered as high-flow design, as is..Being that my Stang is neither raced, nor is considered as a track car ! I've decided to follow Dave's advice, by sticking with the factory exhaust, and only swapping out the stock axle backs, for the Pypes Violators, just for deeper and louder sound..Anyway just thought I'd share my findings with those, who may have similar concerns..
Old 6/18/07, 10:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the chance today, to speak with Dave, from Brenspeed about going with an off road H-pipe, with my stock axle backs. And according to both him and Brent ! they found that during their R&D testing, the Mustang's 3v 4.6 produces a raspier/tinny sound, when compared to the previous SN-95 Stang's 2v and 4v 4.6, regardless of whether an off road H or X was used, although he also mentioned, that the off road X, was even raspier than the off road H. Dave also confirmed, that for those who are concerned about achieving that deep muscle car sound ? both he and Brent recommend running either long tubes, with high-flow catted H or X pipes, stock manifolds with catted X-pipes or stock manifolds, with factory H-pipe w/cats..He also recommends, that unless your Stang is to be used for track and racing applications only ? there's very little to be gained, performance wise by going with either an off road H or X pipe, as the factory cats are considered as high-flow design, as is..Being that my Stang is neither raced, nor is considered as a track car ! I've decided to follow Dave's advice, by sticking with the factory exhaust, and only swapping out the stock axle backs, for the Pypes Violators, just for deeper and louder sound..Anyway just thought I'd share my findings with those, who may have similar concerns..
Rocky, your story is why I have been so impressed by brenspeed! Brent is not out to just sell parts ! every time I have dealt with brenspeed by email or phone I have got there honest opinion even if it may cost them from selling me parts!.......
Old 6/19/07, 07:59 AM

No offense but I disagree. I have the GTAs with the Pypes offroad Hpipe and it sounds awesome, very much the old muscle car sound. I have no raspiness and only minimal drone at highway speeds. Brenspeed has dynoed the Pypes and found that it can add as much as 10 horses when installed. You can confirm that on their website. For the price you can't go wrong with the Pypes offroad H and the GTAs
Old 6/19/07, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Rocky, your story is why I have been so impressed by brenspeed! Brent is not out to just sell parts ! every time I have dealt with brenspeed by email or phone I have got there honest opinion even if it may cost them from selling me parts!.......
You took the words right out of my mouth STD, which is exactly why I'll be looking to Brenspeed, for all my future performance needs exclusively ! Not only did they earn my trust, because of their honesty and un-biased opinions ? but also, it's because they don't let their customers down, when it comes to returning their phone calls and replying to their e-mails, within a timely manner. Unlike certain vendors, who are just out to make a name for themselves, and then there's others, who claim their customer service is second to none, but when it comes down, to their customers depending on them for support, the most ? their just left, hung out to dry. and Btw, this post is NOT referring to Doug, from bamachips..this post concerns my frustrations, towards another vendor altogether.
Old 6/19/07, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by cobra4548
No offense but I disagree. I have the GTAs with the Pypes offroad Hpipe and it sounds awesome, very much the old muscle car sound. I have no raspiness and only minimal drone at highway speeds. Brenspeed has dynoed the Pypes and found that it can add as much as 10 horses when installed. You can confirm that on their website. For the price you can't go wrong with the Pypes offroad H and the GTAs
No offense taken Jeff, as for the 10 horses you claim on the website ? it lists word for word, the H pipe started making more power, when the Mustang went wide open throttle, and at 5000 RMP's, the Pypes off road H was making 8 more rwhp and 10ft.lbs. more torque. Perhaps you see something that I don't, but if I'm reading into this accurately ? I just don't see how an 8 peak HP gain at WOT, justifies replacing the stock exhaust and besides, just because the Brenspeed car made 8 peak HP ? doesn't necessairly mean, that every other Mustang will, as each car is different. What matters most, is what the car makes under the curve at part throttle, as a daily driver..As for sound ? perhaps you haven't experienced any raspiness or tinniness personally ! However there have been other's, who have claimed otherwise, and have also complained about trumpeting as well..Anyhow, I was just sharing info. that I obtained, from Dave at Brenspeed, during the phone conversation I had with him..Therefore, any disagreements that you may have ? should be taken up with him personally..