GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

What is the easiest way to run 15" drag wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/06, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since the middle of last summer, I have been following the adventures of several of you guys as you added 15" wheels for drag racing. I so much want to do that as well... I need more choices on tire size, etc. I have read accounts of the efforts needed to get Bogarts, Welds, etc. on these cars over the large rear brake set-up.

Frankly, I'm looking for the easiest way to add 15's (especially in the rear). I'm not gung-ho on cutting/relocating and welding suspension components, or major stuff like that. Can this be done with spacers and/or a little grinding on the calipers, and maybe a little nip & tuck here or there? I don't much care about the amount of tire/wheel that may stick out of the fenderwell either, so can a different offset/backspace help? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

I don't want to run 15's everyday... just at the track. There are a lot of smart guys here who have made modifications to do it. Maybe we can brainstorm a way to do it easier?? Please chime in if you have some ideas.
Old 2/4/06, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMR now has a swaybar relocation bracket as well. The only pita would be the studs. The stock studs will only be flush with the face of a Bogart. I bought some Moser axles and ordered them with the studs. I drilled out the front hubs with a very good drill bit. No cheap bits will last. Took my time and I had no problems. I used open lugs and washers to seat the studs. The reason for the washers is for that little bit of the knurl that shows thru the hub. The washer allowed me to snug it up 100%. I used an electric drill, as opposed to a cordless drill. I was reluctant at first. It was only going to cost me $50 to get a machine shop to do it. I just decided to take the plunge and do it myself.
Old 2/4/06, 07:41 PM

I think I called George one or two times before doing it. He made me feel warm, fuzzy and confident in doing it! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] My mind was set on having to buy another set of hubs b/c of screwing it up or something. If you just take your time, let the drill bit do the work, and not press on it hard, you'll have no problems.
Old 2/16/06, 03:03 PM

Thanks to a member at ModularFords, we know that the Weld Prostar XP 15x9 (5.5bs) wheels will work on an '05 without modification. And, I have been told that all of the Weld "XP" wheels have the same hub configuration. The problem is that the XP line has been discontinued, and we have to find them pre-owned. So, I'm going to take a little gamble. I just purchased a pair of "secondhand" 15x9 (5.5bs) Weld Draglite XP's, and I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that they work as good as the Prostars. Although they are "secondhand", they are brand new in the box, and should have shipped out to me today. With any luck, I'll report back on a test fitment sometime in the next week or so.

EDIT: By the way, the total cost of these two wheels (shipped) was about $100 less than one Bogart wheel.

Old 2/16/06, 04:34 PM
Cobra Member

So yeah, I just got off the phone with a rep at Weld. Not a single 15-17" wheel that they currently offer will fit our rears. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

-Dan
Old 2/16/06, 04:37 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cleveland @ February 16, 2006, 3:37 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
So yeah, I just got off the phone with a rep at Weld. Not a single 15-17" wheel that they currently offer will fit our rears. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

-Dan
[/b][/quote]

I have often wondered why Weld (or anyone else) doesn't make something that is a direct fit. Maybe Weld would resurrect the XP line if enough of us 05, 06 and beyond guys scream loud enough (I still need fronts... haha). BTW, I have also wondered why Bogart can't come up with a design that doesn't require so much modification to fit the car. For what they are charging, the wheels should fit right on.
Old 2/16/06, 07:49 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ February 16, 2006, 3:06 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks to a member at ModularFords, we know that the Weld Prostar XP 15x9 (5.5bs) wheels will work on an '05 without modification. And, I have been told that all of the Weld "XP" wheels have the same hub configuration. The problem is that the XP line has been discontinued, and we have to find them pre-owned. So, I'm going to take a little gamble. I just purchased a pair of "secondhand" 15x9 (5.5bs) Weld Draglite XP's, and I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that they work as good as the Prostars. Although they are "secondhand", they are brand new in the box, and should have shipped out to me today. With any luck, I'll report back on a test fitment sometime in the next week or so.

EDIT: By the way, the total cost of these two wheels (shipped) was about $100 less than one Bogart wheel.

[/b][/quote]
Don, where did you find those? I would like a lower cost set of 15's for the rear. I am still considering just using my spare, and buying another to match for the front. It may look cheap, but who cares, it's just for the track.
Old 2/16/06, 08:27 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jvm051 @ February 16, 2006, 6:52 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Don, where did you find those? I would like a lower cost set of 15's for the rear. I am still considering just using my spare, and buying another to match for the front. It may look cheap, but who cares, it's just for the track.
[/b][/quote]

A guy had them listed in the Classifieds Forum at ModularFords. BTW, I checked the UPS tracking, and they are scheduled to be delivered next week. So I'll be able to confirm how well they fit then.
Old 2/18/06, 07:20 AM
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ February 16, 2006, 9:30 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
A guy had them listed in the Classifieds Forum at ModularFords. BTW, I checked the UPS tracking, and they are scheduled to be delivered next week. So I'll be able to confirm how well they fit then.
[/b][/quote]

Hey Don,

Do you know the back spacing on these wheels? I've found a few sets but I just dont know the actual back spacing and I dont wanna buy the wheels unless it is correct.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 2/18/06, 08:11 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doug904 @ February 18, 2006, 6:23 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hey Don,

Do you know the back spacing on these wheels? I've found a few sets but I just dont know the actual back spacing and I dont wanna buy the wheels unless it is correct.
Thanks, Doug.
[/b][/quote]

I was told they are 15x9 w/5.5" bs. When I get the wheels, I will test fit them and also measure the backspacing to verify all the numbers.
Old 2/27/06, 07:44 PM

With all the umm, errr... "excitement" surrounding my engine's premature death, I almost forgot about these wheels. UPS dropped them off last Thursday, and I took one to Adam's shop on Saturday to test fit it. And it fits great!! There is enough clearance around the calipers, and the swaybar bracket. No interference at all, and no modifications needed to make them work. The only downside is that the offset makes them stick out of the fenderwell maybe 1/2" or so. I didn't measure exactly, just eyeballed them. Since they are for track use only, I'm not very concerned about that part. At least I have 15" rear wheels now. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Here are a few pics:

Old 2/27/06, 08:01 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doug904 @ February 18, 2006, 7:23 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hey Don,

Thanks, Doug.
[/b][/quote]
Doug, were you able to verify if these were the correct wheels? if so do you have, or know of another set for sale?
Jon.
Old 2/27/06, 09:12 PM

The backspacing is indeed 5.5" on the wheels I have (I measured it). Based on the clearance I had, a 6"bs would likely hit the sway bar or bracket.
Old 2/27/06, 11:01 PM
Cobra Member

Too bad they dont fit under the wells, they could rub on a hard launch with high enough rubber if the rear was lowered.

-Dan
Old 2/27/06, 11:12 PM

That's true Dan. But, mine isn't lowered so I should be OK. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

If you could find a 15x8 with 5.5bs, it probably wouldn't stick out, and you could still run a MT 28x9-15 slick or a 275/60R15 (28x11.50) drag radial. If not, 26's would work either way.