GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

What do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/08, 05:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you guys think?

I had posted last week about a problem I had with my car.....while crusing it would hesitate or lug every 5 - 10 seconds or so, but just barely. Today it was the worse it's ever been. There were times in which I thought that the car was going to stall. When I stopped, the idle would fluctuate a little also. I decided to remove my CAI and install the factory airbox and tune again. I also cleaned out the throttle body also. Well, after that the car is running good again, albeit a little quiteter
Right now I'm not sure if the problem was caused by an air leak in the CAI?? the tune itself? or maybe the throttle body being a little bit dirty??
I had read about people that had problems with dirty TB's but usually with 20,000+ miles on their cars.
Is it possible that this was the culprit all along even though my car only had about 4100 miles on her??
Old 2/27/08, 05:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Seeing as you had an issue with air/fuel it was most likely an air leak or a tune issue. Since you have all the parts and you have gotten the car working, you could simply clean and reinstall the CAI and tune. You would then have a definitive answer.
Old 2/27/08, 06:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GTMark052
I had posted last week about a problem I had with my car.....while crusing it would hesitate or lug every 5 - 10 seconds or so, but just barely. Today it was the worse it's ever been. There were times in which I thought that the car was going to stall. When I stopped, the idle would fluctuate a little also. I decided to remove my CAI and install the factory airbox and tune again. I also cleaned out the throttle body also. Well, after that the car is running good again, albeit a little quiteter
Right now I'm not sure if the problem was caused by an air leak in the CAI?? the tune itself? or maybe the throttle body being a little bit dirty??
I had read about people that had problems with dirty TB's but usually with 20,000+ miles on their cars.
Is it possible that this was the culprit all along even though my car only had about 4100 miles on her??
Funny... sounds like the issues I was having:

"When I’m cruising around 60, and go down a slight incline or ease up on the gas so I am barley on it, the car seems to be stuttering or hesitating. It feels like its being starved for air, gas, or both. During these times the RPMs do fluctuate as well. Have you experienced anything similar with yours? It’s almost the same feeling you get on a really windy day"

I also had surging idle issues.

Tim
Old 2/27/08, 09:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, thats it exactly! Tomorrow I'm going to put everything back again after I do another test run, just in case. I should know then. After reading your previous post about air leaks, I'm starting to get that funny feeling in my stomach.
Old 2/27/08, 09:29 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I can tell you that I had the same problem, and via a test at the dealer (a/f ratios), they determined that there was not a leak. That was done after a new fuel pump, new TPS, and new TB. The culprit in my case is either the CAI, the tune, or the combination of both. I'll know more when the 9 inches of snow outside melts.
Old 2/27/08, 10:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Well I can tell you that I had the same problem, and via a test at the dealer (a/f ratios), they determined that there was not a leak. That was done after a new fuel pump, new TPS, and new TB. The culprit in my case is either the CAI, the tune, or the combination of both. I'll know more when the 9 inches of snow outside melts.
Mine is due to the CAI. I'm not sure if it's a leak, turbulence, or some other factor. Doug was kind enough to send me a stock air box tune to try and the car has been running perfectly since. I have no doubt the CIA is the issue in this case, which really stinks after paying for a dyno tune and everything because I'm going to be changing intakes.

I actually worked with both Bama and Brenspeed on the issue. I originally purchased the CAI though Brenspeed, and later had the car dyno tuned by Doug. I can tell you this, both Doug and Brent are stand up guys with top notch customer service. Let's just say Brent addressed my concerns and got me headed in a new direction. And Doug, well Doug simply went way above and beyond to help. Proof positive you can't go wrong with either of these guys, although I still prefer Doug's tunes for my auto.

As for the WMS, I noticed Brenspeed no longer sells it. Coupled with your issues and other similar posts I have seen, it makes me wonder is there is not some design flaw. Either way I feel confident you will have your answer after you go back to stock. When your ready consider having Brent make up a stock air box tune to help you narrow it down.

Tim
Old 2/28/08, 07:09 AM
V6 Member

I need to know which CAI you guys are using.

I just ordered my JLT CAI and tune yesterday and will be installing it this weekend. SO I am a little curious.
Old 2/28/08, 07:56 AM
I lust for a M24

Mine's the WMS, but it's not a problem isolated to just that CAI.
Old 2/28/08, 10:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Both mine and Tims intakes are the DeMolet Tunable Induction intake. I did my test run back to stock config this morning and again everything is running normal. I'm going to put the CAI and 91 tune back in and see if the problem starts again. I will post my findings here a little later.
Old 2/28/08, 11:32 AM
Former Vendor

I don't know how close you are to us, but we're right off 322 in Aston, PA. We could do a custom tune for you if you'd like. Give us a call! We have an in-house Dynojet 224xLC.

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-5776
Old 2/28/08, 11:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well I re-installed the Demolet TI CAI and 91 tune and the hesitation/surging issues started again I can only assume that since there were no problems up until recently and I haven't added anything but facia mods, the problem cannot be with the tune. So the CAI appears to be the culprit here as well. To say that I'm not happy would be an understatement!!!
I suppose it could've been a little worse, I WAS considering on the purchase of new tunes for this CAI, now I'll purchase tunes for a different CAI.
I guess I need to edit my signature once again.
Old 2/28/08, 11:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks CR. I'm only about 1 1/2 hrs away so I will seriously consider it. Though, after dumping $500 on the other CAI/SCT2 kit (I basically paid $500 for the tuner) I'm back to trying to decide which CAI I'm going with. Here we go again
Old 2/28/08, 12:18 PM
Former Vendor

Thanks CR. I'm only about 1 1/2 hrs away so I will seriously consider it. Though, after dumping $500 on the other CAI/SCT2 kit (I basically paid $500 for the tuner) I'm back to trying to decide which CAI I'm going with. Here we go again
Go with the C&L racer intake. I was also happy with the performance gains on the Airaid cold air intake we did the other day. However, the racer nets the BEST gains out there. I can work you up a super package deal on the intake and custom dyno tune. Let me know!

CR
Old 2/28/08, 01:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

I went with a BBK. It may fall short of some other intakes by a few HP, but after my experience I wanted something of the highest quality and this intake looks solid and will make a great show piece. Not to mention it’s a good $100 less then the C&L. Brent got me updated Tunes and I’ll be installing it tomorrow. I’m out my custom dynotune as a result of the change, but Doug is working with me so I can get my Bama Race tune going again.

Tim
Old 2/28/08, 02:48 PM
I lust for a M24

Make sure you let me know whether or not the problem resurfaces w/ a different CAI.
Old 2/28/08, 03:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Make sure you let me know whether or not the problem resurfaces w/ a different CAI.
If it does, I will try and get a post off just before slitting my throat!

Tim
Old 2/28/08, 03:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tdbrown75
If it does, I will try and get a post off just before slitting my throat!

Tim
ROFLMAO

Sounds like something I would say as well
Old 3/2/08, 11:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

ROFLMAO

Sounds like something I would say as well
I'm happy to report the car is running perfectly with my new CAI and tunes. Here are a few shots of the installation. It's a great quality piece and very well engineered.

There's a polished version of this CAI available, I kind of wish I went with that option, although this finish matches my paint pretty well.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails What do you guys think?-dsc08295.jpg   What do you guys think?-dsc08297.jpg   What do you guys think?-dsc08298.jpg  

Last edited by tdbrown75; 3/19/08 at 07:53 PM.
Old 3/2/08, 01:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thats great news and it sure looks great too. I was going to ask you to compare perfomance "feel" of the BBK to the TI, but the TI had a dyno tune so it probably doesn't compare...or does it??
Old 3/2/08, 09:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Feels about the same, if there is a difference it's not more then a couple HP.

Tim