GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

What is the Best Way to Add HP & Torque to '06 GT ?

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/06, 12:18 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
75 shot of nitrous
Old 5/18/06, 03:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Slate,

Go with a CAI ( I recommend JLT with a bama chip tune) simple install. screwdriver to un do the intake, socket to pull the air box out. Easy assemble of the new air tube and filter. You hook up the tuner to the port under your steering wheel and in about 3 minutes, you are done and will be amazed by the performance.

This was my first performance mod and you cannot go wrong. Some of these guys were just having some fun with the scoops. GO with a CAI and tune and you will be happy.
Old 5/18/06, 09:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by freebass55
Warranty?
And, I don't think you are going to be ablew to add 75 horses 'economically'.
4 words. Bottle In A Bag
Old 5/18/06, 11:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by traffic142
Slate,

Go with a CAI ( I recommend JLT with a bama chip tune) simple install. screwdriver to un do the intake, socket to pull the air box out. Easy assemble of the new air tube and filter. You hook up the tuner to the port under your steering wheel and in about 3 minutes, you are done and will be amazed by the performance.

This was my first performance mod and you cannot go wrong. Some of these guys were just having some fun with the scoops. GO with a CAI and tune and you will be happy.
This is a great way to start with these cars and to get going in the mods. The tuner can be used to nearly remove the throttle lag, change the shift points, remove the rev limiter, adjust the AFR for the CAI and various other calibrations.

In the Automatic, the tune makes for a noticed response and harder shifts. With a good tune and CAI, the real gain will be around 15-20 rwhp. Have the tuner expendable to account for a full offroad exhaust system when the time arrives, and it could get you close to 300 at the wheels.

Beyond this, one needs to consider other options such as going inside the Motor or applying Forced Induction. ( Superchargers, etc.)

Some shops are forgoing the Warrenty issue (on problems not directly affected by the mods ) if you have pipes and air as they know they are common mods. Herein is the knowledge from SEMA, and highlighted in the last issue of Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Mag., that the Dealer needs to prove the mod is the reason for the breakdown. Some come into the Dealership nowadays looking specifically for a lightly ( bolt-ons) modified Mustang.
Old 5/18/06, 01:49 PM
Cobra R Member

And if you get the bug, go with Steeda ud pulleys and a set of 3.55 gears. you will like the result!
Old 5/18/06, 05:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by RKNMACH
Thanks for the quick response. Here's my dilemma: I'm going to put on a set of MagnaFlow catbacks in addition to a CAI. I have a Steeda CAI but no SCT Xcal2 tuner. If I put on the CAI w/o a tune, will the onboard computer pick up the displacement difference and adjust the stock tune to one that will run ok? I know I won't realize the full potential of the CAI w/o a tune and want to avoid any possible damage to the system. Or, is the safe thing to do buy the tuner with the two options and then set up the system. One more question if I may, is loading the tune into the onboard computer a matter of plugging it in and running a preprogrammed program or do you have to enter the different settings? Trying to make the leap from the timing light/dwell meter world to the electronic world we now live in. Again, thanks for your advice.
With the Steeda CAI you need a tune or it will run lean. Buy a tuner from Doug at Bamachips or Brent at Brenspeed they will com with 3? I think tunes preloaded just tell them which CAI you have because they have different tunes for each CAI
Old 5/18/06, 06:34 PM
V6 Member

There will hopefully soon be some #s on the various new cams that are now or soon to be available.

This is certainly not a simple bolt on job but could be a real nice option if they can bump up another 25 or 30 HP as rumored. Haven't seen any install and test reports as of yet. Has anyone?
Old 5/19/06, 06:32 PM
Cobra R Member

My state is now tying into the computer in the car to hunt for CEL's on emmissions testing. I am not too worried, Since the tune does not cause a CEL. Like it was said, reflash to factory, put in the ugly box and go on.
Old 5/19/06, 09:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dustindu4
A body kit and a large rear wing will give you at least 50 HP
You're an a$$.

The guy seriously does not sound like a "super wing & scoop" kind of guy.

Just looking for some advice. This board used to have such a strong sense of comraderie that is quickly vanishing as the boards continues to grow. And you can't really hide behind that excuse, as you have been around a long time...
Old 5/19/06, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Don't forget at least a half dozen large fake scoops, the bigger and faker the better -- make 'em stick way out in the airstream for at least another 50 hp. Careful not to make them functional as you could easily loose 30-40 hp instead, it's the flashy "bad azz" look that create all that torque and power.
you too
Old 5/27/06, 01:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Check out Ford Racing packages.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/perfo...cepackages.asp
Old 5/29/06, 12:14 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by RKNMACH
Thanks for the quick response. Here's my dilemma: I'm going to put on a set of MagnaFlow catbacks in addition to a CAI. I have a Steeda CAI but no SCT Xcal2 tuner. If I put on the CAI w/o a tune, will the onboard computer pick up the displacement difference and adjust the stock tune to one that will run ok? I know I won't realize the full potential of the CAI w/o a tune and want to avoid any possible damage to the system. Or, is the safe thing to do buy the tuner with the two options and then set up the system. One more question if I may, is loading the tune into the onboard computer a matter of plugging it in and running a preprogrammed program or do you have to enter the different settings? Trying to make the leap from the timing light/dwell meter world to the electronic world we now live in. Again, thanks for your advice.
Get the tune and load it along with your planned mods. The tune is packaged and tested already, so no adjustments will be required. IMO, I would contact Doug at Bamachips, explain the planned mods and he will supply you with a safe performance tune.

Paul
Old 10/21/15, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bingo
You're probably going to void your warranty no matter what you do...

1) Intake/tune
2) Full exhaust (including headers)
3) Underdrive pulleys
4) Gears (no horsepower gain, but more giddyup)

Are headers difficult to install??
Old 10/22/15, 06:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Holy thread resurrection batman

Headers are an above average difficulty install.
Old 10/23/15, 04:42 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
A BMFH and small hands and a lot of time. Or paid somebody else to do it.