Very Tiny Dent Repair Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12/17/06, 10:02 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very Tiny Dent Repair Suggestions

So...

Unfortunately I just noticed a very tiny dent just behind the passenger door slightly up from the front of the fender. Not sure what caused it...

You can see it if you look at the car on an angle but not straight on (the light catches it especially when clean).

My question is:

a) Should I just live with it? (which I'm prepared to do)

b) Do you think a body shop can easily fix it using paintless dent repair methods?

Although I'm thankful its very minor, I take a lot of care to protect my car from door dents etc. and its a bit disappointing to find any damage.

Thanks for any input,
Danny
Old 12/17/06, 11:42 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like something for PDR to me. I've got the same thing... it's going to stay like that. Not worth it to me. Only I know where it's at and at what angle you need to be to see it. The Mustang God's say that one scratch/ding on a car prevents others.
Old 12/18/06, 07:20 AM
GT Member

I used PDR to fix hail damage (on my Dodge truck, not my mustang), and was very impressed with the results. They need to be able to gain access from the back-side, but these guys have all the right tools. You don't necessarily need to go to a body shop - there are guys who specialize in PDR. (I used dent doctor).
Old 12/18/06, 08:21 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That can totally be fixed at a body shop
Old 12/18/06, 08:23 AM
Cobra Member

I've used the dent removal process many times in the past, and they can work miracles. What I usually do is wait until I get at least 2 before going in. Usually it isn't much more to have 2 removed than one, especially if they are on the same panel, since the time for them to set up is part of the cost.
Old 12/18/06, 08:23 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You mentioned that you're willing to live with it... I could not. I would recommend going with mobile dent repairer, i.e., Dr. Dent, Dent Wizard, etc. Dealership use them... Look in the Yellow Pages. I've had them repaire several of my vehicles. They come to your house or work. It's pretty amazing to watch. Since it's the door, they should be able to fix it pretty easily. They'll just slip metal device down through the door panel and tap it out... If they can't reach it from the top, then they have to drill, and plug, a small hole in the side of the door. If there is no paint damage, it'll look perfect. It varies, but I have paid anywhere from $60-$100. Well worth it...
Old 12/18/06, 12:55 PM
V6 Member

I might have the same dent in my car. I noticed it the day after I had two adults in the back seat. They both exited out the passenger side and may have used a elbow or palm to pry themselfs out of the car. I will live with it for now. If it starts to bother me I came fix it later.
Old 12/18/06, 02:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
You mentioned that you're willing to live with it... I could not. I would recommend going with mobile dent repairer, i.e., Dr. Dent, Dent Wizard, etc. Dealership use them... Look in the Yellow Pages. I've had them repaire several of my vehicles. They come to your house or work. It's pretty amazing to watch. Since it's the door, they should be able to fix it pretty easily. They'll just slip metal device down through the door panel and tap it out... If they can't reach it from the top, then they have to drill, and plug, a small hole in the side of the door. If there is no paint damage, it'll look perfect. It varies, but I have paid anywhere from $60-$100. Well worth it...
SteelTown is a goat roper! but in this case I have to agree with him, After I had my 06 build date 05/31/06 about a week I noticed a small up-ding on the front of the hood! and what looked to be a small indent on the driver-side just past the door both obviously factory installed! Sick of my Ford dealer I went to a dent remover who has done work for me before! and remove both for $100 bucks, absolute beautiful work! most the time as long as the paint is not compromised these guys can work miricles!...
Old 12/18/06, 03:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
SteelTown is a goat roper! but in this case I have to agree with him, After I had my 06 build date 05/31/06 about a week I noticed a small up-ding on the front of the hood! and what looked to be a small indent on the driver-side just past the door both obviously factory installed! Sick of my Ford dealer I went to a dent remover who has done work for me before! and remove both for $100 bucks, absolute beautiful work! most the time as long as the paint is not compromised these guys can work miricles!...
... Metaphysical WHAT!?! I see that Scottie broke out the thesaurus on that quote . Hey Scottie, go ride Tiffany .
Old 12/18/06, 04:06 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Thanks everyone! I will look into PDR further. By the way, the dent is behind the door (think above the rear arm rest between the beltline and the line through the door handle). I'm not sure how easy that is to get at?

Its small, but still bothers me. I also have another very small ding in the lower corner of my driver's side door. I would have this fixed at the same time.

Danny

P.S. Anyone know any PDR shops in the Greater Toronto Area?
Old 12/18/06, 04:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Dan,
I also promote using a Dent Wizard type of guy. I let one of them work on my 70 Mach 1 last summer for a small rock dent in one of the front fenders. The trick is the paint cannot be chipped or cracked. If it is a smooth dent they can work wonders. I would have rather let him have my wife of 31 years than work on my 70 but it all turned out great.
Scott
Old 12/18/06, 09:51 PM
Bullitt Member

They can pull them out from the outside now - no need to take your car apart to get at it from behind the panel. Amazing technology nowadays... Good luck!
Old 12/19/06, 06:04 AM
Cobra Member

If they can't get to it or pull it from the outside, they may have to drill a hole in the panel inside the door and plug it. They'll tell you this before they do the repair. If they don't, definately ask. I had a whole door repainted due to a dent from a shopping cart intentionally pushed against my car years ago, before I found out about the painless dent repair. They know me by name at the place I use.
Old 12/25/06, 01:12 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally Posted by RandyB
They can pull them out from the outside now - no need to take your car apart to get at it from behind the panel. Amazing technology nowadays... Good luck!
Thanks, I will look into it in the spring.
Old 12/25/06, 01:13 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally Posted by lodom
If they can't get to it or pull it from the outside, they may have to drill a hole in the panel inside the door and plug it. They'll tell you this before they do the repair. If they don't, definately ask. I had a whole door repainted due to a dent from a shopping cart intentionally pushed against my car years ago, before I found out about the painless dent repair. They know me by name at the place I use.
Drill into my door? I'd sooner live with it I will definately make sure they don't try that.
Old 12/25/06, 09:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Do You have a Real Good Vaccume lots of suction may help, as people said above there is a guy here company Dentx and as long no chip or crease they can get it gone.
Old 12/26/06, 12:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in Ohio and found 3 dents in about the same area (passenger side, top of fender just next the the trunk deck. It almost looked like somebody had elbowed it on purpose. I went to the "DENT JENT" and it cost about 75.00 to fix....He did have to drill a hole to get at it and the hole was in the back (took the rear light out) and he went in that way. He coated the plug with rust proofing stuff and the dent was gone (you can't see it unless you remove the rear light) ...Don't ever worry about drilling...The factory did enough on their own so what's another one. Trust me, you will be glad you did or it will just eat away at you like it did me.
Old 8/11/07, 11:24 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Just an update, I had the paintless dent repair guy fix the repair after all. It looks as good as new! I'm a believer!
Old 8/12/07, 12:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to hear it Dan, I recently got dinged and it was gone the same day as I could not live with it. Wait a minute, I own my own set of tools, LOL