GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

UPR TB spacer

Search this Thread

Old 11/29/08, 09:27 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPR TB spacer

I picked up and installed a UPR throttle body spacer for my 2006 Mustang GT. I have read that they work and that they are a waste of money. While searching Ebay I found them for about $30 shipped. That is about $20 less than anywhere else that I had seen them advertised for. So, I figured nothing ventured nothing gained and the price was right. Since I have installed it I am averaging about a 4 MPG improvement. I drive down 231 North into TN often and I was getting 28.7 MPG according to the computer. I have aslo noticed a slightly better throttle responce, nothing ground breaking on a NA engine. The responce is better at higher speeds, but the improved MPG made it wirth the cost and 20 minute install. I figured that after 3 fillups it will have paid for its self. Like I said the price on Ebay was cheaper and it comes from a reputable company. Other TB spacers cost $100 or more, but I feel that this one gave me the most bang for the buck. The improved MPG was during normal legal driving. I still managed to get improved MPG at high speed as well, I woun't sat how fast I was going but I was getting 19.3 MPG.
Old 11/29/08, 12:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Congrats your the first one I've heard of that has ever had any success.
Old 11/29/08, 01:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the mpg just from the trip computer, or from calculating it after a fill up? Let us know what the average is after a full tank of gas has gone through it.
Old 11/30/08, 01:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Congrats, now you can remove the thing from your car, drill a hole in it and put a nozle to spray some laughing gas in there and get some real performance.

I think the mpg is either a fluke or you ecu is freaking out.

Here is the theory on throttle body spacers.

Back in the carburated days you had all components of your car built out of metal. Mostly iron. When you went for a long drive or took a trip down the 1/4mile your car was boiling hot. It caused the fuel to evaporate and in allot of cases caused detonation and basically hesitation. It was then discovered that if you put a spacer or spacers between your carb and your intake plenum it would separate the heat and also increase low down torque by basically increasing the runner length as well as creating a more homogeneous mixture to be burned. In the old days the spacers were made of wood mostly and not metal, especially not alu.

Here is why this theory does not hold true with 3v engines or the 2v ones or basicaly all fuel injected engines. The injectors are at the ports for one, and secondly the intake plenum in our cars is made of plastic to reduce heat soak. That is why you can actually touch your throttle body and your intake plenum even after you put a few ***** to the wall runs on the engine.

What you basically accomplished is that you increased the space air has to travel into your engine. The ecu is either freaking out and giving you misreadings or you actually filled with real gasoline and not the 10% alcohol junk they force down our throats these days. I have done a few honest to goodness 28mpg runs in my car while fluctuating between 4-6% throttle @60-75mph depending on conditions.

I say get a few electric superchargers and a 1/2 dozen tornado's and shoot for the mighty 60mpg goal.
Old 11/30/08, 07:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The TB spacer has no real impact on the air transfer function, so the PCM has no reason to freak out.
Old 11/30/08, 10:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

well since the post got delted years ago, i was the very first to test the JET T/B spacer and it DID work. it got rid of the throttle lag for the time being of only having the K&N intake and no tuner. I did see a 1HP incrase and 12lb tq on the dyno a few days after installing it. i did notice a good 3-5MPG increase during those long hauls. so I'm safe to say that they DO work, which is what ive tried to tell people so long, and all everyone else posted was they are paper weight and they are a waste. usually people who never experiment with them make those claims
Old 11/30/08, 02:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MaverickMLFD371
well since the post got delted years ago, i was the very first to test the JET T/B spacer and it DID work. it got rid of the throttle lag for the time being of only having the K&N intake and no tuner. I did see a 1HP incrase and 12lb tq on the dyno a few days after installing it. i did notice a good 3-5MPG increase during those long hauls. so I'm safe to say that they DO work, which is what ive tried to tell people so long, and all everyone else posted was they are paper weight and they are a waste. usually people who never experiment with them make those claims
Not deleted.

Your July 2005 thread on the JET TBS is here - http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=414054.

However, while you were the first to post, I'm pretty sure I beat you to the Dyno on this.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...&highlight=jet (check out post #189 on p. 10)

Dyno showed about +1 hp and +10 ft/lb torque.

Last edited by ILikeBond; 11/30/08 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11/30/08, 02:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
who knows.. i love working on my car and im out of mods right now, so i'll put the T.B back on, if it dose'nt work, i get to work on me car more... WooHoo!!
Old 11/30/08, 03:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Can you use the stock intake plenum cover (Running horse powered by Ford) with the spacer?

Why didn't the OEM just design the intake manifold for an additional 1/2" to 1" in length at the TB if it would increase the fuel economy by 2-3 MPG??

Last edited by metroplex; 11/30/08 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11/30/08, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

While your at it add a turbonator. I hear they do wonders.
Old 11/30/08, 05:30 PM
Bullitt Member

ok
Old 11/30/08, 05:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by jaguarking11
While your at it add a turbonator. I hear they do wonders.
Funny guy there Bruno. Trust me, Paul doesn't use items on his car unless THEY WORK!! Why won't you believe the FACTS he posts?
Old 11/30/08, 07:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Funny guy there Bruno. Trust me, Paul doesn't use items on his car unless THEY WORK!! Why won't you believe the FACTS he posts?
Because anyone can be bought although I doubt that he got bought but I have seen some stuff on the forum that are bias. Secondly the reported results are within margin of error and that makes me wonder. Sometimes a persons mind plays tricks on them. I also think the fuel economy reported is not out the reach of a carefully driven gt.

Just my thoughts. Hell im this close to purchasing one of these and installing them. I would even give them a fair trial.
Old 11/30/08, 07:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I installed an AirRaid spacer on my 90 Bronco w/ 5.4 a while back, didn't do diddlysquat. Looks cool though.....
Old 11/30/08, 07:52 PM
GT Member

had one ...one of my first mods...all stock...base line dyno with and without were the same on a dynojet. same day, same temp...mine was a mmr...and other than a few people in here that have posted slight positive results that could be imagined and within variables of mpg computations and dyno factors the overwhelming opinion of these devices are they are a gimmick on the s197 and show no real benefits at all...I also know 4 veteran ford tuners that agree with me!! but hey...buy one and try it if you need to ...i did and i saw what i saw...your money is better spent elsewhere!!!
Old 11/30/08, 08:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I have heard stories about these, I got one on my truck and actually will admit it did help my 5.4 in my F 150. The paperweight was a plus for my truck, but wouldn't even dare on the pony.
Old 11/30/08, 09:27 PM
V6 Member

I took my numbers from the computer. I make the trip often due to an F150 build being done at my dads. Unless the computer has AI and has decided to play a trick on me it does work. My car is stock other than that and that could be the reason. At a cost of $30 to the door I figured why not try it for myself. The spacers used with carbs was for cooling the fuel and aiding in the mixture process. A TB spacer just adds plentium length which is why there is more TQ gain than HP. The physics behind the part has a solid train of thought however, if you are out beating up on your tires you won't see any help at all. I stated that my mojor improvement was done while driving at legal limits or within 5 MPH. It's just one of those parts that will be disputed by some and liked by others. I will try to keep up with the spacer results to see if it was just the change in outside temp or if it really works. Load of variables.