GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Ultimate Racing Twin Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/05, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By the way the measurements for this FMIC are: 22"x6.5"x 2.5" I think something like this would look much better and even a little intimidating. Just a thought.
Old 1/14/05, 08:57 PM

I could be wrong but if the whole point of this kit is to be bolt on without doing any permanent modifications to the car maybe a bigger IC wouldnt fit without some serious cutting? I would also think bigger = more expensive = kit costs more in the end. If it does the job whats the difference... All most cars will see anyway including that mazda with the big intercooler you posted are the tail lights :drive:
Old 1/15/05, 12:32 PM

05_John,

Looks aside, my point is that if a 2.0 liter mazda is using an larger intercooler when upgraded to a single GT28RS turbo setup perhaps maybe the intercooler in the Ultimate Racing package is too small for a dual turbo setup. I'm not sure, but to me it sure does seem like it might be blowing alot of hot air. Plus if you look closely you'll see that there should be enough room for a larger(longer) intercooler without any major cutting. However, without looking under an 05 I'm just assuming(hoping) here. I won't even dignify the comment about the taillights with a response.
Old 1/15/05, 01:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by max2000jp+January 14, 2005, 3:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (max2000jp @ January 14, 2005, 3:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-thezeppelin8@January 14, 2005, 4:05 PM
cant wait to see the numbers produced
Id venture to guess that the car will produce in excess of 450rwhp(assuming supporting mods) on 8 lbs of boost. Tuning is the key to making high horsepower reliably. I have a friend who has a custom built turbo on his 95 Maxima that puts down a little more than 500 fwhp with a bone stock engine. A lot of people will say that the VQ 3.0 isn't very boost friendly from the specs, but his car is tuned very efficiently. Also, you have to remember though that 7lbs in a S/C isnt equal to 7lbs in a TC. The TC running at 7lbs will be more efficient. I am starting to save my money for this kit, might be a while though [/b][/quote]
with you 190 hp maxima (thats what they had in 1995) you would have to run 20lbs of boost to get close to 500hp, are you telling me that they are running 20 lbs of boost on a stock 1995 maxima???? I find that very hard to believe
Old 1/16/05, 02:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow I have been waiting for a turbo kit for the 05 since I decided that is whear I am gona slam down my cash. But I was wondering if maby it would be easyer to just make an intercooler upgrade/op[tion for something bigger. I dont know just an idea. The intercooler does look abit on the puiny side. In fact that is the only dowm side. Maby you could cut out the two outside lower grill cover peices. I hope I am describeing them well and that sould provide sufficent airflow for a wider intercooler.
Old 1/16/05, 02:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by TURBO 05+January 15, 2005, 3:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TURBO 05 @ January 15, 2005, 3:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by max2000jp@January 14, 2005, 3:22 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-thezeppelin8
@January 14, 2005, 4:05 PM
cant wait to see the numbers produced

Id venture to guess that the car will produce in excess of 450rwhp(assuming supporting mods) on 8 lbs of boost. Tuning is the key to making high horsepower reliably. I have a friend who has a custom built turbo on his 95 Maxima that puts down a little more than 500 fwhp with a bone stock engine. A lot of people will say that the VQ 3.0 isn't very boost friendly from the specs, but his car is tuned very efficiently. Also, you have to remember though that 7lbs in a S/C isnt equal to 7lbs in a TC. The TC running at 7lbs will be more efficient. I am starting to save my money for this kit, might be a while though
with you 190 hp maxima (thats what they had in 1995) you would have to run 20lbs of boost to get close to 500hp, are you telling me that they are running 20 lbs of boost on a stock 1995 maxima???? I find that very hard to believe [/b][/quote]
IIRC he is running 14.5 PSI with a 60 shot of nitrous.
Old 1/16/05, 05:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Not that it matters but I am going to go on a little rant about boost here about the maxima. First off 14.7 psi is one bar or one atmosphere of boost. So if you are running 14.7 psi you have 2 atmospheres of air getting pushed into your motor. So running 14.7 psi you should assuming it is a 100% efficient system you should double your horsepower. So max if we round 14.5 to 14.7 psi and turbo 05's stock maxima hp numbers are correct you buddy would have 380 hp. Plus a 60 shot would give you 440 hp. So maybe you might have close to 500 hp at the flywheel. But manufactures tend to rate their hp numbers at the flywheel so that the 440 I stated above would really be at the flywheel to begin with. Although when your buddy measured his shot it was a 60 shot to the rear wheels that would convert to 69 hp assuming we use a 15% drive train loss which is a little high for a front wheel drive car to begin with. That would give you a 449-flywheel horsepower. I am not flaming you or calling you a liar I am just trying to educate.
Old 1/16/05, 05:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by ZwerRacing@January 16, 2005, 7:28 PM
Not that it matters but I am going to go on a little rant about boost here about the maxima. First off 14.7 psi is one bar or one atmosphere of boost. So if you are running 14.7 psi you have 2 atmospheres of air getting pushed into your motor. So running 14.7 psi you should assuming it is a 100% efficient system you should double your horsepower. So max if we round 14.5 to 14.7 psi and turbo 05's stock maxima hp numbers are correct you buddy would have 380 hp. Plus a 60 shot would give you 440 hp. So maybe you might have close to 500 hp at the flywheel. But manufactures tend to rate their hp numbers at the flywheel so that the 440 I stated above would really be at the flywheel to begin with. Although when your buddy measured his shot it was a 60 shot to the rear wheels that would convert to 69 hp assuming we use a 15% drive train loss which is a little high for a front wheel drive car to begin with. That would give you a 449-flywheel horsepower. I am not flaming you or calling you a liar I am just trying to educate.
The number I quoted was to the wheels. I saw the dyno sheet with my own eyes. I don't know much about the specs of the kit, but I do know the car has run 11.9@124.XX. The car is a bone stock internal VQ engine. He does have upgraded injectors and a Z32 MAF.
Old 1/16/05, 08:22 PM

This is off-topic for the thread, but since it's my Maxima being discussed in the last few posts I thought I'd chime in. Jason called me and told me a guy or two here were having a hard time believing what my car put down. I purchased this car as is (I had another all motor maxima in the mid-low 13s which was wrecked in November) from another member of the maxima.org forum. His name is hlh0501 on the forum and he used to have a couple sites dedicated to the car, hlh0501.com and www.fastmaxima.com but he has since taken them down because he no longer owns the car obviously.

This dyno was given to me along with a bunch of other paperwork (parts reciepts, etc) when he drove the car up here (kalamazoo, mich) from louisville to sign the title over. Here are a few pics I just took of the dyno sheet and today's paper, sitting on top of the turbo. This dyno image was NOT with this turbocharger, nor this piping setup. This dyno image was at 10psi + 65shot. This was using a smaller turbo than the one in the pic. This dyno was with a T3/t04e, I do not know what the details of the turbo were, as I didn't own the car then. Interestingly the car at the time of this dyno was running stock injectors at 100% DC, and quite high fuel pressure, not the safest setup. The rest of the motor is stock, never been opened up. In this form the car ran 12.2 @ 121 on street tires, spray was used in 3rd and 4th gear only.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddim...zMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

The turbo in the pictures is a much larger 61mm ball bearing turbo, .70 a/r on the cold side and .84 a/r on the hot side. The compressor wheel is a Garrett T61 wheel, and the turbine wheel is a P-trim. With this new turbo at 14.5psi and an NX wet kit 65 shot of spray, it put down 538whp and 603 ft-lb. It went 11.98 @ 124.6 in this configuration, spraying only in 4th gear. On 18psi, and no nitrous, it went 12.1 @ 122. Hal was not able to find the dyno sheet for this dyno run before he brought the car to me. They were posted on his website, but his website is now gone, thus the posts he made which showed the dyno sheets show broken images now. If I am able to get ahold of them from him I will post them up if you want to see them.

Obviously none of this proves that the car has a stock motor, but all I can say is that it indeed does. It's not the original motor, hal blew two motors I believe running his old setup with the stock injectors, from detonation because of fuel delivery problems (100% DC and super high FP tends to do that) however the car has been running as it is now, tuned well with greddy emanage and wideband, for a year now (10000 miles).

Here is a picture of the car from the front in my garage right after I got it.

Here are some videos of the car if you are interested. Only the video of the race with the 350z was made while I have owned the car (since Nov 28th). The rest of the videos were made by the guy who built the car. You must enter the password provided to view the videos (protected so people can't rip the whole site at once and kill it's bandwidth with a site ripping program).

Me with and 4 passengers at 14.5psi, no spray (I haven't used the spray at all yet) vs a 350z (which went 13.3 @ 104) - 22mb
http://www.vqpower.com/v2/downloads-file-149.html

The rest of the vids aren't so large as the above one, they are 1-5mb

hlh0501 Compilation 1
http://www.vqpower.com/v2/downloads-file-74.html

hlh0501 Compilation 2 -
http://www.vqpower.com/v2/downloads-file-87.html

hlh0501 Compilation 3
http://www.vqpower.com/v2/downloads-file-150.html

hlh0501 11.9 @ 124 vid from october 2004 though you can't see the times at all
http://www.vqpower.com/v2/downloads-file-148.html

hlh0501 12.7 @ 119 vid - sept 2003 video
http://www.vqpower.com/v2/downloads-file-117.html

So yeah, this post became really long and off the original topic. Sorry for that.

Neal
Old 1/17/05, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by H-Town Speed@January 15, 2005, 2:35 PM
05_John,

Looks aside, my point is that if a 2.0 liter mazda is using an larger intercooler when upgraded to a single GT28RS turbo setup perhaps maybe the intercooler in the Ultimate Racing package is too small for a dual turbo setup. I'm not sure, but to me it sure does seem like it might be blowing alot of hot air. Plus if you look closely you'll see that there should be enough room for a larger(longer) intercooler without any major cutting. However, without looking under an 05 I'm just assuming(hoping) here. I won't even dignify the comment about the taillights with a response.
Back on topic...

I actually re-read my original post on the intercooler dimensions and noticed I had them REALLY wrong. The actual dimensions on the intercooler are:

18.5" x 12" x 3.5"

I think you may be easily fooled by the look of the intercooler as it flow vertically as opposed to horizontally. The endtanks are on the top and bottom as opposed to on the sides so it may look a bit smaller, but the intercooler itself is larger than the one you have posted above from the Mazda!

Darryl
Old 1/17/05, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by ZwerRacing@January 16, 2005, 4:38 PM
Wow I have been waiting for a turbo kit for the 05 since I decided that is whear I am gona slam down my cash. But I was wondering if maby it would be easyer to just make an intercooler upgrade/op[tion for something bigger. I dont know just an idea. The intercooler does look abit on the puiny side. In fact that is the only dowm side. Maby you could cut out the two outside lower grill cover peices. I hope I am describeing them well and that sould provide sufficent airflow for a wider intercooler.
Really there's no need to run a wider intercooler than the one we have right now. It flows more than enough for the setup.

Even if we wanted to run something larger, we couldn't! There's just no space to route piping!

Darryl
Old 1/17/05, 09:40 AM

H-Town Speed, the point I was trying to make is that youre arguing over something that is purely asthetic and has nothing to do with performance. As long as it does the job as advertised whats the problem?

Thats good to know Darryl! Any more updates on the kit itself?
Old 1/18/05, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by 05_John@January 17, 2005, 11:43 AM
H-Town Speed, the point I was trying to make is that youre arguing over something that is purely asthetic and has nothing to do with performance. As long as it does the job as advertised whats the problem?

Thats good to know Darryl! Any more updates on the kit itself?
Our Stang started today. We're now into the tuning process! If you're all good I'll post a video of the beast on the rollers B)
Old 1/18/05, 08:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

That will be a vid worth seeing.....the beast? muahahaha gotta love that!

John
Old 1/18/05, 10:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Ultimate Racing quick question regarding ground clearence...I am not sure if it was the angle of the pic but one concern I would have would be damaging the pipes if I say had my car lowered and hitting something (ie: speedbump) do the pipes hang down off the engine much
Old 1/19/05, 09:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Darryl,

Give us those videos please!
Old 1/19/05, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by Murphy77@January 19, 2005, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Racing quick question regarding ground clearence...I am not sure if it was the angle of the pic but one concern I would have would be damaging the pipes if I say had my car lowered and hitting something (ie: speedbump) do the pipes hang down off the engine much
The angle of the pictures make the piping look to be hanging low. There's actually A LOT of clearance. Here are some pictures I just snapped. (The car is not on the hoist, it's completely on the ground)

Darryl
Old 1/19/05, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by RRRoamer@January 19, 2005, 11:17 AM
Darryl,

Give us those videos please!
I guess it was wrong to tease you about dyno videos.

They'll be coming shortly. Just give us a bit more time.

Thanks,

Darryl
Old 2/28/06, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ok, now it's a year later...what's going on? I guess they gave up on the kit.
Old 2/28/06, 11:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Looks like they gave up on more than just the kit. Go to their website and you will see their '05 Mustang info is still the same and the last news article on this page was posted 11/6/2003.

The boss Hog

Quick Reply: Ultimate Racing Twin Turbo Kit