GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

UDP install and CEL P0113???

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/07, 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
UDP install and CEL P0113???

After installing Steeda's underdrive pullies (crank and water pump), I'm getting an intermittent CEL. When the light stays on, I can pull "P0113 Intk AR TMP CIR HI IN", sometimes it just flickers and no code is stored.

I suspect the MAF or MAF connector, but any ideas appreciated.

John
Old 11/2/07, 06:59 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe

Check you air intake sensor connection..
Old 11/3/07, 07:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
· P0113 Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input

In addition to what Rick suggested, disconnect your battery and disconnect all your electrical connections that you removed for the UPD install and check for pin damage, then reconnect. Then reconnect your battery and check the system out for any CEL's.

Good luck!
Old 11/3/07, 07:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I'm just going to have to back track on this one. Thanks for the feedback.

John
Old 11/4/07, 06:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

It's getting worse: let me start over.

On Saturday my son (a mechanic) installed Steeda underdrive pullies. The C&L intake tube was removed, the power steering and rad fluid reservoir put aside, and the fan removed to make room per the instructions.

On the way home after work, after reaching operating temp (maybe 8 miles), he got a CEL which the xcal showed to be a P0113, the intake temp sensor voltage high. We disconnected/reconnected the MAF connector, and took it out around the block again. The CEL flickered on and off, but didn't store a code. Ok, it seemed like the connector. We disconnected/reconnected again, and all seemed well.

Sunday, the car went out again after a brief warmup. After reaching normal operating temp (190 degrees) the CEL came on and stayed lit. Three new codes were thrown:

p0300 rndm mult cy msfr det
p0301 falt cy a msfr det cy 1
p0306 falt cy g msfr det cy 6.

Tomorrow, we're going to work backwards and remove everything again (well, not the pullies--yet), spray the MAF with throttle body cleaner, and then reassemble. But does anyone have any other ideas on where to look or attempt a diagnosis? Crankshaft position sensor damaged, maybe?

mods are in my signature...
Old 11/4/07, 08:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jwgroovin
Three new codes were thrown:

· P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
· P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
· P0306 Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected

Only 2 electrical plugs were disconnected, right? (MAF and the elect. fan)

Try and disconnect the battery for a few mins, then re-flash your tune?
Crankcase breather off the C&L tube connected okay?

Just thowing out ideas...
Old 11/4/07, 08:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
· P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
· P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
· P0306 Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected

Only 2 electrical plugs were disconnected, right? (MAF and the elect. fan)

Crankcase breather off the C&L tube connected okay?

Just thowing out ideas...
Right, just those two connectors and the breather tube. All back and working. I'll try the battery disconnect and tune reload just for kicks--thanks for the idea. Right now we're going to check the coincidence factors (fouled plugs? coilpack "loose"?) and I might have to get a new crankbolt and put the originals back on, just to see if that fixes anything.

I hate this "what-should-be-simple-but-is-becoming-a-major-pain-in-the-a$$", but that's the price we pay!!

John
Old 11/4/07, 08:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jwgroovin
It's getting worse: let me start over.

On Saturday my son (a mechanic) installed Steeda underdrive pullies. The C&L intake tube was removed, the power steering and rad fluid reservoir put aside, and the fan removed to make room per the instructions.

On the way home after work, after reaching operating temp (maybe 8 miles), he got a CEL which the xcal showed to be a P0113, the intake temp sensor voltage high. We disconnected/reconnected the MAF connector, and took it out around the block again. The CEL flickered on and off, but didn't store a code. Ok, it seemed like the connector. We disconnected/reconnected again, and all seemed well.

Sunday, the car went out again after a brief warmup. After reaching normal operating temp (190 degrees) the CEL came on and stayed lit. Three new codes were thrown:

Tomorrow, we're going to work backwards and remove everything again (well, not the pullies--yet), spray the MAF with throttle body cleaner, and then reassemble. But does anyone have any other ideas on where to look or attempt a diagnosis? Crankshaft position sensor damaged, maybe?

mods are in my signature...
There is about a 90% chance the crank pulley wasn't installed right. I see this all the time at the shop. The UDPs come with a longer bolt to start the pulley with. Sometimes people don't read the directions and just use that bolt and leave it in. If this is the case, remove and install correct bolt. With the longer bolt, the crank pulley is not on far enough.

If this is not the problem, re torque the crank bolt. If this is not torqued correctly it will throw that CEL because the timing wheel behind the front cover is able to vibrate.

Ken
Old 11/4/07, 08:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by KenB
There is about a 90% chance the crank pulley wasn't installed right. I see this all the time at the shop. The UDPs come with a longer bolt to start the pulley with. Sometimes people don't read the directions and just use that bolt and leave it in. If this is the case, remove and install correct bolt. With the longer bolt, the crank pulley is not on far enough.

If this is not the problem, re torque the crank bolt. If this is not torqued correctly it will throw that CEL because the timing wheel behind the front cover is able to vibrate.
Ken
Thanks Ken, he did use the correct bolt, and verbally recited how he torqued, so he at least ATTEMPTED to do this correctly. Everything is pointing at an incorrect install however, so I'm ordering two new crankbolts, and I'll reinstall the bolt myself, and if that doesn't fix it, then I'll reinstall the original pullies and then see what happens. If THAT doesn't do it then I know I may need to look elsewhere.

Thanks I'll keep you posted.

John
Old 11/4/07, 09:49 AM
V6 Member

Stupid question....Did you check the fan to ensure it is working??Maybe the shroud and blade could have been knocked out of position and the fan never operates correctly??
Old 11/4/07, 10:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Oddly enough, this appears to have cleared things up. I took the car for a short, 10 minute drive at operating temperature, zipped it up to a quick 100mph, stopped at the gas station, and no new CELs appeared.

We're letting it sit for a few hours to work on the '87 Mustang, then will take it out for a longer cruise to see what happens. I'm still buying 2 crankbolts and if the same CELs come up, will use a new bolt and retorque per instructions again, and if THAT doesn't fix it, then put the original pullies back in and see what happens.

Thanks for the quick feedback everyone, more as I know it.

John
Old 11/4/07, 11:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rick06gtmustang
Stupid question....Did you check the fan to ensure it is working??Maybe the shroud and blade could have been knocked out of position and the fan never operates correctly??
Not stupid at all--we had the hood up after starting the car last night and waited until the fan DID come on, just to be sure, as you indicate. It's been tough eliminating variables, but it was coming down to either the crank pulley not getting torqued correctly, the crank pulley sensor, or even fouled plugs. Since the CELs haven't come back on since disconnecting the battery, then reflashing my tune, I'm taking it out for a longer drive, then assuming there are no problems, will check the spark plugs anyhow since it's worth a peak, trouble or no trouble...

Thanks for the suggestion.

John
Old 11/14/07, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, it's been about 10 days. Did reflashing the tune do the trick?