Search this Thread

Old 10/5/05, 06:35 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have them?? If so, what are your impressions?? Thanks
Old 10/5/05, 07:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Mine just arrived yesterday, gonna find someone to install them, let you know my impressions later on.
Old 10/5/05, 08:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by MaverickMLFD371@October 5, 2005, 9:23 AM
Mine just arrived yesterday, gonna find someone to install them, let you know my impressions later on.

Mine are Steeda and were installed by Steeda , so they're properly balanced and installed. There are some threads on here about this , I would suggest doing a search for them. Make sure the ones you get meet Ford spec's and are correctly installed or you can have problems with the bearings ...
Old 10/5/05, 08:15 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't you need them custom tuned? My predator manual says to not use U/D pullies with the pre-programmed tunes.
Old 10/5/05, 09:30 AM
Bullitt Member

I have had them for about 3000 miles. They made a big difference for me. No cooling issues through the summer and you can see I live in Yuma AZ. I installed them myself. It was not to bad a job. A puller is needed. I have never heard of anyone balancing them before install. These motors are internally balanced so it would not be needed.
Old 10/5/05, 01:04 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the Steeda Underdrive Pullies sitting here in my office. So long as I am not delayed again, I plan on trying to install them on Sunday, so I will let you know what I think of them.

I called around, and the shops around here wanted $80-$96 to install them, which is 1 1/2 hours labor.

For that much, I am going try it myself. The instructions look fairly simple, and I have the tools needed, with exception to the Crank Pulley Puller. I called Autozone and they said they could loan me one for a day for $15.

I'll be sure to update later on....
Old 10/5/05, 01:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

yea i got an apt set up next week with a co. called Glenwood, he's in tabernacle. guy goes by the name of Larry, supposibly he is the #1 Mustang guy in NJ or some sort of title like that, his brother Tim is gonna intsall them for $65, not a bad deal, so I'll give my progress report sometime next week.
Old 10/9/05, 11:16 PM
Bullitt Member

As I had promised, I did get to put my Steeda Underdrive Pullies on today.

It was not too bad to do, but if your have $70-$80 to waste on letting a shop do it, it will save you a bit of a pain in the rear and a couple hours of your time. I got the pulley puller from Autozone, but it was way to big to get it in the space you have to work with. Luckily, my grandfather had a 4" 3-prong puller that worked beautifully.

I have not gotten to drive it a whole lot just yet, but from the 10-miles or so I drove around, you do notice some subtle difference, although not huge. The biggest thing I have noticed is that the engine really seems to rev up quite a bit faster than it did before when you punch it down the highway.

Like I mentioned above, there is not a huge gain in power, but when I am giving it about 1/2 throttle while accelerating, it does seem to be a bit more energetic as it revs up, which makes it feel a litte quicker than before. I'm not sure if that is more power or if it is just revving into the powerband faster -- or both.

All in all, from my initial impressions, if I had it all to do over again, I do think I would do the Pulley's again. But like I said above, don't expect any huge difference, but there are certainly some subtle differences to be noticed.
Old 10/9/05, 11:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

So what are the Pro's and Con's of U/D Pulleys?

I pretty well understand the gains, but what are you giving up when you run them? side effects?

Tom
Old 10/9/05, 11:56 PM
GT Member

I bought the Steeda U/D Pulleys before I decided to add a blower. So if anyone's interested I have a set I'd be willing to sell.
Old 10/10/05, 05:39 AM

Originally posted by ZeroK@October 9, 2005, 11:59 PM
I bought the Steeda U/D Pulleys before I decided to add a blower. So if anyone's interested I have a set I'd be willing to sell.
How much do you want?
Old 10/10/05, 06:55 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Wardog 07@October 10, 2005, 1:51 AM
So what are the Pro's and Con's of U/D Pulleys?

I pretty well understand the gains, but what are you giving up when you run them? side effects?

Tom
When you install under-drive pulley's you are "under driving" the alternator and water pump. Meaning they are spinning at less RPM's than they did when the engine was designed. This yeilds more ponies but only 10-15.....Cooling is such a huge part of today's engines due to the fact that they run leaner and hotter than in the past.... I personally would not install them if you drive hard...unless you plan on upgrading the radiator and thermostat. Just my $0.02

Brad
Old 10/10/05, 08:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by True_HP@October 10, 2005, 2:58 PM
When you install under-drive pulley's you are "under driving" the alternator and water pump. Meaning they are spinning at less RPM's than they did when the engine was designed. This yeilds more ponies but only 10-15.....Cooling is such a huge part of today's engines due to the fact that they run leaner and hotter than in the past.... I personally would not install them if you drive hard...unless you plan on upgrading the radiator and thermostat. Just my $0.02

Brad
Thanks . . . I figured there was a "catch" to it. They do make heavy duty radiators for the Mustang, I wonder in Kevin has one?

Tom
Old 10/10/05, 09:21 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by mikem@October 10, 2005, 5:42 AM
How much do you want?
$200
Old 10/10/05, 09:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And just for the record, the thermostat really doesn't have much to do with cooling capacity. Either the radiator can cool the engine or it can't. The only thing the thermostat does is set the operating temperature that the system is going to TRY to maintain. If your radiator can't disipate the heat, it doesn't mater if you have a 90F thermostat, you are STILL going to overheat.
Old 10/10/05, 12:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think i'll leave my pulleys alone. I like my A/C working 100%.

Furthermore, I might want to install a 2000W mega bass sound system.

J.K. :-)
Old 10/10/05, 12:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MaverickMLFD371@October 5, 2005, 1:20 PM
yea i got an apt set up next week with a co. called Glenwood, he's in tabernacle. guy goes by the name of Larry, supposibly he is the #1 Mustang guy in NJ or some sort of title like that, his brother Tim is gonna intsall them for $65, not a bad deal, so I'll give my progress report sometime next week.

Hey Paul:

Let me know how you make out. I've had great luck with those guys at Glenwood. That's seems like a fair price. When are we going back
to Atco??
Old 10/10/05, 03:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by True_HP@October 10, 2005, 6:58 AM

Brad
Like I said above, I live in Yuma AZ(115 + in the summer)and drove it in the heat every day with N0 over heating or any issues at all. I can't tell you how it would work with a million watt stero system though.
Old 10/10/05, 04:23 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Firedude@October 5, 2005, 9:33 AM
I have had them for about 3000 miles. They made a big difference for me. No cooling issues through the summer and you can see I live in Yuma AZ. I installed them myself. It was not to bad a job. A puller is needed. I have never heard of anyone balancing them before install. These motors are internally balanced so it would not be needed.
NO JOKE GUYS, LOL! These are friggin pulleys for crying out loud. Install them yourselves. This is cake...... pull old pulley off, put new pulley on. DONE!
Old 10/26/05, 07:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

After long wait, I finally got my Steeda Pullies Installed! B)

I went to a guy named Paul Vaughn, owner of Modern Muscle Motorsports in Tabernacle, NJ.

Apparently he doesn't have a PRO mechanic shop, he works out of a pole-barn in his backyard, but good enough, he has every tool to do the job. He's even got project cars including, Mustangs, Lightnings and other Fords ranging in the 700-900 Horsepower Range!!! WOW!

He was very anxious and eager to work on a new 05 and to get up close to a new 05 and of course I saw the big smile on his face when he saw it and he was in heaven. He loves the new body style.

So we get to work, pop open the hood, start disconnectiong the pullies and sliding off the belts. Get the water pump pulley off and now moving on to the crank pulley! WHAT A PITA!! :angry: Steeda calls to use a tool called a 3 prong puller. Ok, well he had one, guess what, we can't fit a 3 prong puller in there, cause its such a tight fit, it ends up hitting the radiator fan! So we do some home edition make up of a three prong puller using nuts and bolts, sure enough, 2 hours later, darn pulley still does not want to come off!!!

So after hours of frustration, we've had it. He takes 2 small sized crowbars, he tells me to take one on the top and he crawls under the car with the other, put the crowbars in, lightly tug on the crowbars a few times, TA DA!!! PULLEY IS OFF!!! FINALLY!!! And almost landed on his head...

Ok, worries are over! Or at least we think they are. Ok put the new pullies on, torqued everything to the factory specs. Alright, I can finally go home and eat dinner! Guess what, the belts!!!! And the thing that sux, Ford didn't have a belt route guide under the hood, NOR IN THE OWNERS MANUAL, WTF?!?!?!?!?!?! So there we are, playing with the belts for another good hour trying to figure out how they go back on. Myself is trying to call anyone with an 05 Mustang to give us a detail guide of how the belts run on the pullies but of course no one answered their phone except for my buddy in Fair Lawn, which he was a little help, but couldn't help much due to it being dark and not being able to see his belts. Finally after an hour of playing with the belts, we figured it out! Put the intake back on, cranker her up and VROOOOOOOOM!!!! She cranked!!

Review:

Another Bang for the buck!!!! Def. feel a power increase and she revs a lot quicker!!! She also growls a little louder under the hood which is a great thing to hear! Overall, it took us 3 hours! But if we knew the belt guide b4 we took the stock pullies off or if Ford bothered to put one under the hood and if we knew it was gonna be easy to pry off the crank pulley with crowbars instead of trying to use this so called three prong puller, it would of taken us a good hour - hour 1/2. Overall, very pleased with the performance mod!

Quick Reply: U/D Pullies