GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Twin Turbos on 3V in MM&FF

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/05, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone else see the MM&FF article this month where they dyno tested twin turbos on the 4.6L 3V '05 engine? I'm not a big turbo guy myself, but it is an interesting article.

They started with a motor without any accessories on it (just an electric water pump), JBA long tube headers (w/open exh), 36# injectors, and a FAST system. The base line dyno test was 351 hp, 374 tq (all numbers are at the crank). Then they installed the TTS, and bigger 65# injectors. With the TTs running at 6.2psi, it made 500hp and 529 tq. They then cranked the boost to 9.1psi. Dyno numbers were 578hp and 617 tq. Finally, they cranked it to 11psi, and it made 624hp and 666tq.

Yikes... no telling how long the internals (or driveline) would last with these numbers!!
Old 7/29/05, 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'll find out soon, they will be doing another article soon with that system on my car. They are woking on a intake manifold first before they instal on my car
Old 7/29/05, 10:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

The funny thing, they backed off for the pistons, not the crank or block. I was guessing those two would be the first thing to go.
Old 7/29/05, 10:57 PM
GT Member

Prediction: the tranny will go long before the engine.

I'd also bet that as far as the actual engine itself, the pistons and crank would go long before the block.

I'll be looking forward to the article. I'd also love to see them do some durability information over time. For example how's a daily driver running 6.2PSI doing after a year. Personally I don't care that someone managed to run stock internals at 600HP for a single trip down the drag strip. I care about building a high performance durable car that'll run for years without nuking the engine or transmission in daily use.
Old 7/29/05, 11:28 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by don_w@July 29, 2005, 8:27 PM
Anyone else see the MM&FF article this month where they dyno tested twin turbos on the 4.6L 3V '05 engine? I'm not a big turbo guy myself, but it is an interesting article.

They started with a motor without any accessories on it (just an electric water pump), JBA long tube headers (w/open exh), 36# injectors, and a FAST system. The base line dyno test was 351 hp, 374 tq (all numbers are at the crank). Then they installed the TTS, and bigger 65# injectors. With the TTs running at 6.2psi, it made 500hp and 529 tq. They then cranked the boost to 9.1psi. Dyno numbers were 578hp and 617 tq. Finally, they cranked it to 11psi, and it made 624hp and 666tq.

Yikes... no telling how long the internals (or driveline) would last with these numbers!!
Interestingly enough figuring 18% power loss that's only 410HP and 434tq at the wheels... which has already been run on a manual tranny stock. The Saleen 281SC dynoed 390HP and 387tq to the rear wheels in the same issue, and the Saleen is bone stock engine internals/drivetrain and is warranted for 3 years, even on the auto tranny. You could probably run the 6.3PSI boost without a problem and be fairly safe (it's also well within the safe range Kenne Bell came up with for their super chargers). Alternative Auto also has an automatic pushing 400RWHP.
Old 7/29/05, 11:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by TURBO 05@July 29, 2005, 7:36 PM
i'll find out soon, they will be doing another article soon with that system on my car. They are woking on a intake manifold first before they instal on my car

OK, how do you guys get your cars in articles let alone have them install a turbo system on your car. Is this a freebie for you? I'll take some free parts too, I can be a ginypig!!

Yeah, I just read the article. I think that 6.2PSI sounds quite safe for a stock motor. I'm thinking in the low to mid four hundred rear wheel horsepower range. Does that sound right?

Scott
Old 7/30/05, 12:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by grendel@July 30, 2005, 2:31 PM
Interestingly enough figuring 18% power loss that's only 410HP and 434tq at the wheels... which has already been run on a manual tranny stock. The Saleen 281SC dynoed 390HP and 387tq to the rear wheels in the same issue, and the Saleen is bone stock engine internals/drivetrain and is warranted for 3 years, even on the auto tranny. You could probably run the 6.3PSI boost without a problem and be fairly safe (it's also well within the safe range Kenne Bell came up with for their super chargers). Alternative Auto also has an automatic pushing 400RWHP.
The engine was on a stand, so should lose even more power in a car. I'm guessing about the same power as the 281SC, so the tranny shouldn't be a problem with 6.3 PSI. Amazingly the tranny is only rated for 360 lbs of torque. Whipples run 7 or 8 PSI and they're sold thru FRPP. That's unoffically telling me the manual tranny should take about 460 lbs of torque, or a little more, at the crank.
Old 7/30/05, 09:01 AM
Cobra R Member

Does anyone know the cost of the twin turbo system?
Old 7/30/05, 10:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by srichard@July 29, 2005, 11:31 PM
OK, how do you guys get your cars in articles let alone have them install a turbo system on your car. Is this a freebie for you? I'll take some free parts too, I can be a ginypig!!

Yeah, I just read the article. I think that 6.2PSI sounds quite safe for a stock motor. I'm thinking in the low to mid four hundred rear wheel horsepower range. Does that sound right?

Scott
My brother is friends with richard holdner. end of story
Old 7/30/05, 11:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by red454@July 30, 2005, 9:04 AM
Does anyone know the cost of the twin turbo system?
$7k-9K but they come with everything you can immagine....
see this...
Every company claims their products are better than their competition. HP thinks you should know the following facts and decide for yourself:

1. Every HP kit is a COMPLETE kit. For example, compare and discover that no other '79-'95 Mustang kit comes with all of these components included STANDARD !!:

C&L ® 76mm Mass Air Meter (calibrated to the injectors) - STANDARD !!

42 lb. fuel injectors - STANDARD !!

Walbro ® 255 lph high-pressure fuel pump - STANDARD !!

3 1/2" CNC mandrel-bent downpipe - STANDARD !!

3 1/2" to 3": CNC mandrel-bent Y-pipe and connectors to stock catback - STANDARD !!

3" CNC mandrel-bent cross-over pipe - STANDARD !!

3" CNC mandrel-bent intercooler piping - STANDARD !!

Jet-Hot ® "Sterling" ceramic coating on ALL piping and headers - STANDARD !!

Stainless steel aircraft grade T-bolt clamps and V-band clamps - STANDARD !!

Jet-Hot ® ceramic coated Garrett ® Turbine housing - STANDARD !!

Tial ® billet aluminum 44mm wastegate - STANDARD !!

High-cfm electric cooling fans with wiring harness and relays - STANDARD !!

Largest custom-built aluminum 3-row intercooler available - 25" x 14" x 3½" - STANDARD !!

High-grade multi-ply silicone connectors - STANDARD !!

2. Every HP kit comes with all the tubing, hoses, clamps, fittings and fasteners required for a complete installation. The customer doesn't have to spend time and money trying to find the "little things" needed to complete an installation.

3. Every HP kit provides outstanding performance value. Read what our customers say about their kits HERE.

4. Every HP kit contains precision components from major performance components manufacturers that are carefully matched and calibrated to produce incredible horsepower and torque gains, while providing excellent driveability characteristics.

5. Every HP kit comes with the absolute best warranty in the business - 1 year on all parts made by HP, manufacturer's warranty on components (such as turbos, wastegates, etc.), 3 years on ceramic coatings and limited lifetime warranty on headers and all tubing components.

All of the turbo kits built by HP Performance are comprised of the very highest quality components, engineered with a passion for power, built with care and attention to detail second to none, and backed by a wealth of experience in tuning Mustangs for maximum performance and driveability. For example, HP's 60 mm turbocharger for the 5.0 Mustang is not just an off-the-shelf turbo that you can pick up anywhere, but is a precision engineered hybrid turbo made up of carefully chosen and modified components built by HP in-house to deliver quicker spool-up and maximum power output. All HP headers and tubing are built at their facility and feature full CNC mandrel-bent 14 ga. tubing and TIG welding. HP intercoolers are also hand-built of custom components in-house, are the largest intercoolers shipped standard with any kit available, and are capable of supporting up to 1,000 hp. HP's custom kits are all built from the ground up to fit perfectly and compliment your car.

http://turbochargedpower.com/HP%20Turbo%20Kits.htm
Old 7/30/05, 11:54 AM

And now.. back to our regularly scheduled programming...
Old 7/30/05, 01:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

7k to 9k sound outrageous to me.... am I the only one here to think so. I've seen "COMPLETE" SC kits for around 4K to 5K max. I guess we will have to wait to see if these turbo kits are that much better. I need some other opinions here. :scratch:
Old 7/30/05, 02:39 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 1trickpony@July 30, 2005, 1:08 AM
The engine was on a stand, so should lose even more power in a car. I'm guessing about the same power as the 281SC, so the tranny shouldn't be a problem with 6.3 PSI. Amazingly the tranny is only rated for 360 lbs of torque. Whipples run 7 or 8 PSI and they're sold thru FRPP. That's unoffically telling me the manual tranny should take about 460 lbs of torque, or a little more, at the crank.
Yeah, I had looked up the tranny specs. The manual looks WAY underrated. My guess is that the limiting factor in that 360tq number is the clutch... I'm willing to bet the stock clutch will not hold up to more than that without failing before the 3yr warranty period ends. What I'd really like to know is if the auto would hold up to the torque from 6.3lbs boost over time. (Ordering my car in the next few days and still having the auto vs. manual debate with myself... auto would be REALLY nice in Pittsburgh with traffic and hills, but I have real concerns about shredding it with even a moderate turbo or sc down the road...).
Old 7/30/05, 05:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

I curious myself about the stock auto. Not a lot of hard data. I'm guessing 400ish. Jaguar has this tranny in the S-Type for awhile. I think they switched to a ZF or Mercedes tranny when the put on a blower on the V8. The 4.0L V8 was only making 390 crank and they still wanted to swap the tranny.
Old 7/31/05, 02:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by srichard@July 30, 2005, 1:46 PM
7k to 9k sound outrageous to me.... am I the only one here to think so. I've seen "COMPLETE" SC kits for around 4K to 5K max. I guess we will have to wait to see if these turbo kits are that much better. I need some other opinions here. :scratch:
sc kits dont come with new tubular k-members, top quality intercooler, full exhust systems, shocks/springs camber caster plate...
Old 7/31/05, 02:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by grendel@July 30, 2005, 2:42 PM
Yeah, I had looked up the tranny specs. The manual looks WAY underrated. My guess is that the limiting factor in that 360tq number is the clutch... I'm willing to bet the stock clutch will not hold up to more than that without failing before the 3yr warranty period ends. What I'd really like to know is if the auto would hold up to the torque from 6.3lbs boost over time. (Ordering my car in the next few days and still having the auto vs. manual debate with myself... auto would be REALLY nice in Pittsburgh with traffic and hills, but I have real concerns about shredding it with even a moderate turbo or sc down the road...).
stock clutch has NO hold above 500 hp

by the way the kits are around $7k not $8-9, but i still understand it is alot but add a n intercooler and some of the other components that come with the kit to a sc kit and you will be up there too, this kit is just complete and as safe as possible with out having to add things later
Old 9/25/05, 10:44 AM

A 76mm Mass Air Meter is awfully small. Have they considered going to a 90mm?