GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 10/10/05 | 04:57 PM
GT Member

If I get a dyno tune using an SCT tuner will I still be able to make adjustments using my Predator? Can I upload it in to my Predator as an performance tune? Can you down load the stock tune back in to the car using the Predator when having warranty work done?
Old 10/10/05 | 06:24 PM
GT Member

This has been looked @ 39 times, no one knows? How about a best guess?
Old 10/11/05 | 06:35 AM
GT Member

I have a JLT DPT tune in the car already. My problem is I cant find anyone in the Houston area that uses Predator for dyno tuning. My stock tune is already in my tuner but I have made some changes to my car and want a dyno tune. If I get a SCT dyno tune will the Predator hand held unit be able to tweak the tune if needed and will I be able to reinstall the stock tune later. Basically I want to modify the DTP tune in the car using a SCT program.
Old 10/11/05 | 06:51 AM
Big Falken Tires

I am guessing but I highly doubt at all that if it is tuned with SCT and you can adjust it with a Predator...... sorry dude....

I am going to be selling my Predator as a matter of fact pretty soon here - not because I don't like it but because I am going with Doug from Bamachips SCT tune for my auto.

(now if those guys from Texas where he is helping out would only let him get back home so I can get my tune :bang: ....... I know, I know.... they really need the assistance...... I am just dying to try out my new tune is all! )
Old 10/11/05 | 08:02 AM
GT Member

I would think that the format the tune is in is the same language Ford uses. So I cant think of any reason why it wouldn't work. Unless there is a way for SCT to lock out everything but there tuner. But that would mean that they also would lock out the dealer from reflashing the computer.
Old 10/11/05 | 10:34 AM
FR500 Member

The answer is NO.
Old 10/11/05 | 11:21 AM
GT Member

Why?
Old 10/11/05 | 11:44 AM
FR500 Member

The end result is in the same language, but not the programming interface.
Each tuner (manufacturer) uses their own programming interface/operating system.

If the tuner doesn't see a file it recognizes, it will do nothing, in fact in the case of a Diablo it will be looking for the stock tune to download into the tuner if it doesn't see a file it recognizes, but since you won't have a stock tune in there, it will most likely throw you an error code.
Old 10/11/05 | 01:17 PM
GT Member

The stock file is already in the programmer. When you say file do you mean something that is put in the computer that locks it to the predator but is not used to run the car? I know my predator is vin locked to my car after I installed my DTP tune. Is there additional programing that lockes it to Diablo?
Old 10/11/05 | 01:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Think of it as trying to install an Apple application on a Windows PC. The two just dont mesh. The predator reads an .frg file and the SCT does not.
Old 10/11/05 | 01:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, apples and oranges. Different companies, different tunes and tuners.
Old 10/11/05 | 01:49 PM
FR500 Member

Re-read my post. The first thing your Predator looks for is a tune file that it recognizes, if it doesn't find one, it will look for the stock tune...which is already in the tuner, thus it will throw you an error.

I guess the part that your not understanding is that the tune files each system makes is not interoperable with any other system.

All of this is a moot point. If you go to an SCT dealer for Dyno tuning with a Predator tune in your car, he's going to have you flash the car back to stock so that he can proceed. He won't be able to do anything without the stock tune in your car first.

SCT works the same way as Diablo in that it locks to your car based on loading the stock tune into the tuner. Put the stock tune back into the car and you can use that very same unit on any other car.

Go ahead and go to an SCT dealer with the Predator tune in your car. Take your Diablo tuner with you, so you save a trip back home.
Old 10/11/05 | 02:58 PM
GT Member

Re-read mine there is already a DTP tune in my car, my Predator is already vin locked and the stock tune is stored.

The more accurate analogy is to take a Windows Word document read and modify it on an Apple and the put in back in to windows. And that is done all the time. The binary language of the final tune is always the same. Just as a Word document is the same after being read on a Apple computer or Linux, it is still Word no mater how it is read. So the interface device must still read and put out the same type of file or the computer will not work. So the SCT must still read and extract the DTP tune from my computer because is the same binary language as stock tune. The point you make of having to start with the stock tune may be my answer. But I don't see why starting with the stock tune would make any difference. I am much closer with what I am using now than the stock tune. I am not trying to sound argumentative just trying to understand.
Old 10/11/05 | 03:28 PM
FR500 Member

They're different formats, they're not interoperable, they're propietary.

And I'll fix your analogy for you, so maybe this will make sense to you.
You are correct, that a word file can be edited cross platform. BUT....

Can you use MSWord for Windows on a MAC.....NO, you have to buy another licence for MS Word for the Macintosh.

SCT cannot write to Diablo's file format, Diablo cannot write to SCT's format. The output of these formats is irrelevant.

Like i said, go right ahead and go to an SCT dealer with your Predator tune loaded and tell us what happens.

Then you'll know for sure.
Old 10/11/05 | 03:33 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't understand why it's so hard for you to understand that they are two totally different formats.
Old 10/11/05 | 05:39 PM
Bullitt Member

SCT or Diablo, pick one. You can't mix and match, unless you buy both tuners.
Old 10/11/05 | 05:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by killo-11@October 11, 2005, 7:38 AM
I have a JLT DPT tune in the car already. My problem is I cant find anyone in the Houston area that uses Predator for dyno tuning. My stock tune is already in my tuner but I have made some changes to my car and want a dyno tune. If I get a SCT dyno tune will the Predator hand held unit be able to tweak the tune if needed and will I be able to reinstall the stock tune later. Basically I want to modify the DTP tune in the car using a SCT program.
Go here several pred tuners in and around HOuston
http://www.diablosport.com/OurDealers.php
Old 10/11/05 | 07:27 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Trampus@October 11, 2005, 3:36 PM
I don't understand why it's so hard for you to understand that they are two totally different formats.
I understand the formats are different at the programmer level. But they must be the same at when installed in my cars computer. Whats so hard to understand about that? So regardless of what programmer you use the modified file must be the same language as the original Ford or nothing would work. I cant make it any more basic than that.

I am not wanting to install a SCT file with a Predator. Only to modify the file that is installed in my cars computer now. Just like you can with either programer now. The base format (Ford format) must be understood by either programer as read from my cars computer regardless if it is modified or stock.
Old 10/11/05 | 08:51 PM
V6 Member

c:
So I can't use my apple to modify my word documents....
darn.....

Quick Reply: Tunes