GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Tuner or Chip?

Search this Thread

Old 4/3/07, 01:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuner or Chip?

1.Which is the better way to go...Tuner or Chip?
2.Also does it truly help your MPG?
3.I have seen on eBay there is the SCT and the Diablo Predator....is one of these better than another, and is there others out there that are better?

Please let me know on your experiences with these!
Old 4/3/07, 02:05 PM
Bullitt Member

99% of what I seen are tuner. I ordered one. Waiting for delivery. If you buy one from ebay, make sure it is re flashed to stock or something like that. If not you will have to send it in for retuning. Also, you must have a specific tune for your car (computer etc.). So you will have to have a place tune it anyways...

I believe the tune is the way to go. From what I see understand...
Old 4/3/07, 03:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm using a sctii.
1. I believe a tuner is more useful as it allows you to adjust for tire size, gear ratio,s etc.
2. It hasn't helped my mileage at all because I can't keep my foot off the throttle.
3. It might be wise, no matter whose you buy, research it first and see if you have someone in your area that supports it, so you don't have to keep mailing it back to where you bought it for support of course unless you want to. This may help if your going to have dyno tuning done locally that the person understands the system your using.
Old 4/3/07, 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Tuner all the way! There is so many things you can do different. You can further mod you car and the tuner will still be in complience.

Most around here use XCAL and that is what I have, so I can't speak for the other one. But there seems to be many more tuners that use the XCAL and most mag articles you see the car was tuned by the XCAL.

There is another player now which I haven't heard anything about, superchips now makes a hand held unit.

Oh and as far as gas the car is just way to fun to drive to keep your foot oout of the throttle to notice,
GOOD LUCK
Old 4/3/07, 05:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Go with a SCT II custom tuned by Doug@Bamachips you won't regret it.
http://www.bamachips.com/store/index...695ae1a0bc2def
Old 4/4/07, 06:28 PM
Bullitt Member

I have read a lot about the SCT tuner to increase MPG.... I have also seen on some pages there is a usb/OBD2 cable that you can connect to a laptop, and download Tune's to the car directly.... has anyone else seen this?
If you have seen this does it work well?
Old 4/4/07, 06:32 PM
eci
Banned

err, you cant exactly chip a Spanish Oak.
Old 4/4/07, 06:37 PM
Bullitt Member

What does that have to do with a spanish oak?
I am asking about a cable to connect directly from a laptop to the OBD2 port in my mustang... So I dont have to buy a SCT2...I heard you can download a sofware and buy the Tune's without using a SCT2.
Old 4/4/07, 07:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here you go: http://www.sctflash.com/product_racer.php

It is a laptop program I heard it cost about $450
Old 4/4/07, 07:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I see that program is for a Chip mod... is there any program that comes with a Cable to directly connect to a Laptop via USB that connects on the other end to a OBD2 port on your car??
Old 4/5/07, 05:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tuner all the way, well worth the investment. There is no "best one" either IMO. XCalII people will swear by theirs, Predator people will swear by theirs.
Old 4/5/07, 09:13 AM
Bullitt Member

You can't chip "Spanish Oak", which is the name of PCM in S197.

Get SCT XCal 2 with highest available octane tunes from Bamachips.
Old 4/5/07, 09:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Get yourself a SCT from Brenspeed. My tuner was loaded with 3 tunes from him that were spot on! My a/f is perfect and smooth 12.5-12.8 throughout. I showed a "tuner" my dyno sheet, and he said very little is to be found remaining in the car.
Old 4/5/07, 12:16 PM
Former Vendor

I wouldn't purchase an Ebay Xcal2, personally. Go with a reputable tuner. The extra... 10-15 dollars you save will not add up to the extra horsepower, customer service, etc from a tuner such as ourselves, Bamachips, or Brenspeed.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 4/5/07, 05:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You can't use a chip on a 05 and newer Mustang. The new CAN PCM doesn't even have a port for it.

Like said above, dont waste your time with Ebay as all you'll get it standard tunes, if you want quality you have to pay for it and $20 is nothing when it comes to good tunes.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 4/6/07, 04:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Doug,

If you install a tune and then go in for service and re-install the stock tune - can they (Dealer Service Dept.) read that the tune was changed?
Old 4/6/07, 05:02 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
Hey Doug,

If you install a tune and then go in for service and re-install the stock tune - can they (Dealer Service Dept.) read that the tune was changed?
Not if you drive a little ways before bringing it in... I believe 50 miles or so.

CR
Old 4/7/07, 06:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
Hey Doug,

Yes and no. The dealer service department cannot, even if you did it in their parking lot it will only give a system clear code or P1000 which could mean the battery's been disconnected but no clear indication that a tune has been loaded.

The ONLY way that a Ford dealer could would be IF ford were to send out an engineer with their computer software system and then he could check the PCM and see how many times it has been reflashed and then compare that with the warrenty notes. Even then all they could see if the number of reflashes not the actual loaded tune.

I've seen the above situation with Lightnings and 03-04 Cobra's when they would loose an engine but NEVER with a standard GT. Of course you're not gonna blow the engine with a n/a tune on a standard GT unless it is WAY off anyway and you'll get alot of warnings well before that.

Ohh, dont leave the tuner sitting in the passenger's seat, that is one way they could tell, its been done....

Thanks Doug.
Old 4/7/07, 07:06 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Go with a SCT II custom tuned by Doug@Bamachips you won't regret it.
http://www.bamachips.com/store/index...695ae1a0bc2def
Definitely
Old 4/7/07, 07:13 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Originally Posted by Doug904

Ohh, dont leave the tuner sitting in the passenger's seat, that is one way they could tell, its been done....

Thanks Doug.

That sounds like something I would do. I'll have to remember that.

Quick Reply: Tuner or Chip?