GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Tune question

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/07, 09:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tune question

I am planning on getting 2 tunes for my upcoming XCal2. One for the street, one for the track. Can the track tune be set up to default the traction control to off? I don't want to have to remember to turn it off every time I start the car at the track.
Old 8/27/07, 09:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes, just ask the tuner to do so.
Old 8/27/07, 12:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I remember seeing a thread that said the tuner could deactivate the TCS but it would be off permanently (it cannot be turned back on with the TCS button) until you load your regular tune (which has it on as the start up default).
Old 8/27/07, 01:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Which is exactly what he is doing......
Old 8/27/07, 02:21 PM
Bullitt Member

True, but he only asked if it could default to off, not if it would be permanently deactivated. Just wanted to make sure he knew that he might not be able to turn it back on without loading the street tune.
Old 8/27/07, 04:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.
Old 8/27/07, 04:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

If the TCS is disabled in the tune, you will get a warning on the message center EVERY time you turn the ignition on that the system is not functioning. Then you must push the Reset button to clear the message. So, whether the system is disabled or not, you must push a button:

1) Disabled -- Push Reset, or
2) Enabled -- Push the TCS button to turn it off.

For me, it's not worth disabling it because you will have the push the Reset button every time you start the engine. With it enabled (stock), the only time you'll need to push the TCS button to turn it off would be at the track.
Old 8/27/07, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

If I forget to turn off the TCS before a road race, my brakes are toast. I'd rather not have that problem.
Old 8/27/07, 05:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by JonW
If I forget to turn off the TCS before a road race, my brakes are toast. I'd rather not have that problem.
You will notice immediately. Just get into the routine of hitting the button. It's not rocket science.
Old 8/27/07, 07:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yes, you will notice if it is enabled the first time you hit the gas and the car shuts down on you for a second. You will remember then!!

I forgot the other night when I went drag racing to turn it off before i tried to do a small burnout. It didn't work out so well. I remembered then, and turned it off. I had already embarrassed myself though. Oh well!!
Old 8/28/07, 11:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

If having the TCS disable thru the tune causes a message to pop up in the message center, can I just ignore it, or do I have to reset it every time I start the car, as was stated above?
Old 8/28/07, 11:43 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

You have to reset it everytime you start the car. An error message pops up on your onboard computer.
Old 8/28/07, 12:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Jon,

You don't physically HAVE to push the reset button but this warning is similar to the low fuel level warning. If you don't hit Reset, it won't go away. It's kind of a pain and why I elected not to disable TCS.

Willie
Old 8/28/07, 03:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Willie
Jon,

You don't physically HAVE to push the reset button but this warning is similar to the low fuel level warning. If you don't hit Reset, it won't go away. It's kind of a pain and why I elected not to disable TCS.

Willie
My TCS was disabled by a tune I got from Tillman Speed, and I never had to hit reset. The computer never complained at all. The only annoyance was the light for the TCS inside the tachometer stayed light.
Old 8/28/07, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

My TCS was disabled....and I never had to hit reset. The computer never complained at all.

When you say "computer", do you mean the message center display? This is where I read the message. You do not have to hit the Reset unless you want the display to go back to mileage, etc....

The only annoyance was the light for the TCS inside the tachometer stayed light.

Agreed.

I write my own tunes and noticed something interesting about the TCS scalar. One would think it is a binary switch, i.e. "0" = Off / "1" = On but it is not. The scalar range is from 0 to 99 where "0" = Permanently Disable. I have not experimented with this scalar value but wonder now what the difference would be, for example, between a "40" and a "90"....... Could this somehow be varying degrees of "disability"? In other words, I wonder what value your scalar is. Mine is set to "46" and it is enabled. Maybe different values cause the PCM to react slightly differently and this is why your result is different from mine? Food for thought...

Willie
Old 8/30/07, 07:21 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Willie
My TCS was disabled....and I never had to hit reset. The computer never complained at all.

When you say "computer", do you mean the message center display? This is where I read the message. You do not have to hit the Reset unless you want the display to go back to mileage, etc....

The only annoyance was the light for the TCS inside the tachometer stayed light.

Agreed.

I write my own tunes and noticed something interesting about the TCS scalar. One would think it is a binary switch, i.e. "0" = Off / "1" = On but it is not. The scalar range is from 0 to 99 where "0" = Permanently Disable. I have not experimented with this scalar value but wonder now what the difference would be, for example, between a "40" and a "90"....... Could this somehow be varying degrees of "disability"? In other words, I wonder what value your scalar is. Mine is set to "46" and it is enabled. Maybe different values cause the PCM to react slightly differently and this is why your result is different from mine? Food for thought...

Willie
Yes I was refering to the message center, where it tells you when the gas is low, etc. I never had a peep from it about the TCS being disabled, so perhaps your are correct about the scaler range.