GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP Supercharger Question?

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/07, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FRPP Supercharger Question?

Is anyone familiar with the FRPP non intercooled supercharger kit? I'm going to order the kit but I'm a little confused regarding what I'm getting. What is: "Includes Pro-Cal tool voucher with official Ford Racing calibration" ? Is this Ford's tuning kit?

Thanks!
Old 8/27/07, 04:57 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Once you receive the kit, you need to fill out the Voucher with your kit and car details then mail that to Ford Racing.

they will create the tune for your specs, load it up on a Ford Racing ProCal tool (handheld tuner) and ship that to you.

once you get it.. you plug it in and upload the tune for your supercharger
Old 8/27/07, 07:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Check out Lethal Performance for a good price on that Blower kit.
Old 8/28/07, 11:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by G.T
Once you receive the kit, you need to fill out the Voucher with your kit and car details then mail that to Ford Racing.

they will create the tune for your specs, load it up on a Ford Racing ProCal tool (handheld tuner) and ship that to you.

once you get it.. you plug it in and upload the tune for your supercharger
What Louie said! Also, make sure you contact them by phone. Unless they have changed the voucher, there is nowhere to indicate your gear or tire size. I had to call them directly and give them this information. They didn't get it right the first time and my speedo was way off cuz of my 3.73 gears and BF Goodrich KDW's. I had to send it back and it was good to go the second time around. Ray does all the calibrations for the pro cal tool. Be sure to ask for him. I don't have the number handy, but it can be found on FRPP's website. If you have stock gears and tires don't worry about calling them. Just fill out the voucher and you will be good to go. You will love the Whipple. Mine is non-intercooled and my only regret is that I didn't go intercooled to begin with. I'll be adding an intercooler by next year. Good luck!
Old 8/28/07, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by OKLACOP
What Louie said! Also, make sure you contact them by phone. Unless they have changed the voucher, there is nowhere to indicate your gear or tire size. I had to call them directly and give them this information. They didn't get it right the first time and my speedo was way off cuz of my 3.73 gears and BF Goodrich KDW's. I had to send it back and it was good to go the second time around. Ray does all the calibrations for the pro cal tool. Be sure to ask for him. I don't have the number handy, but it can be found on FRPP's website. If you have stock gears and tires don't worry about calling them. Just fill out the voucher and you will be good to go. You will love the Whipple. Mine is non-intercooled and my only regret is that I didn't go intercooled to begin with. I'll be adding an intercooler by next year. Good luck!
Are you happy with the tune they gave you? I'm a little concerned as I have an automatic and I'd love to get a better tune for that. Can I get a separate program just for the auto?

Thanks for your responses!

Mike
Old 8/28/07, 02:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine is non-intercooled and my only regret is that I didn't go intercooled to begin with. I'll be adding an intercooler by next year. Good luck!
Not available for AUTO trans. Ford will not reprogram it for the HP increase with more boost and intercooler.

You have to have a total cutom tune done. Check newest issue of MMFF for complete details on their FRPP intercooler install with a JDM Engineering custom tune for an automatic .
Old 8/28/07, 07:13 PM

I think Rob has a custom tune by Doug at Bamachips already. I'm sure he will update it when he gets the intercooler kit.
Old 8/28/07, 07:35 PM

Will the ford tune have the option of turning off your o2 sensors because I have a off road h pipe.

Thanks!
Old 8/29/07, 01:39 AM
GT Member

I have that kit and I have an auto 05 model and love it. I have changed the tune or wanted to for that matter. The people I have talked to at FRPP say our trans won't do a lot more if you want any life out of. Trust me you will be very happy with the 400 hp you get. I have headers from FRPP and x pipe so I am a little over the 400 hp I would guess 410 to 415 and love it.
Originally Posted by Smokeio
Are you happy with the tune they gave you? I'm a little concerned as I have an automatic and I'd love to get a better tune for that. Can I get a separate program just for the auto?

Thanks for your responses!

Mike
Old 8/29/07, 07:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by DavidM
I think Rob has a custom tune by Doug at Bamachips already. I'm sure he will update it when he gets the intercooler kit.
Yep, I do. Doug brought his dyno to Oklahoma for one of our shows and he tuned it for me then. To give you an idea about the hp gains.....my car was at 254 rwhp stock. The FRPP tune w/ the 6lb pulley gave me 324 rwhp. I upgraded to an 8lb pulley and my last pull on Doug's dyno after his tune was 344 rwhp. That was with a very hot engine bay. We figured that if the car been allowed to cool down and made another run, it would be putting down 350-360 rwhp. Doug said with a 10lb pulley and an intercooler we could reach 400+ pretty easily ans still be safe.

People are going to see these numbers and say "aren't you disappointed with the whipple?" My response is "no." I'd love to see 400 rwhp, and I will once I get an intercooler, but even being an automatic, when I mash the pedal from a dead stop I can roast the tires for as long as I want. With Doug's tune the car shifts hard! It will plant your butt in the seat.

In reference to the question about the FRPP tune. You will see a big difference from stock, but if you go with Doug's tune or whoever else you decide to go with, you will see just as big a difference from the FRPP tune to the custom tune. That being said, get a custom tune. Putting it simply, it will feel twice as good as the FRPP tune.

If you have any other questions or want me to fax or scan my dyno sheets let me know.
Old 8/29/07, 11:00 AM

In reference to the question about the FRPP tune. You will see a big difference from stock, but if you go with Doug's tune or whoever else you decide to go with, you will see just as big a difference from the FRPP tune to the custom tune. That being said, get a custom tune. Putting it simply, it will feel twice as good as the FRPP tune.

If you have any other questions or want me to fax or scan my dyno sheets let me know.
Can I assume I will need to have the car tuned on a dyno?

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 8/29/07, 12:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Smokeio
Can I assume I will need to have the car tuned on a dyno?

Thanks for your feedback.

ABSOLUTELY! If you want a custom tune that is. Forced induction is a serious mod. This isn't simply a cold air intake. My first C&L cold air intake came from Lidio at Alternative Auto in Michigan. I loved his tune so when I inquired about the Whipple he said he would not do a mail order/email tune for any forced induction car. He said there are way to many variables that have to be addressed.

Because of all of the great things I had heard about Doug I called him and he said the same thing. He then told me about the portable dyno and his willingness to come to Oklahoma to custom dyno tune the car. I was sold!!!!!! So absolutely get a custom tune on the dyno. Find a good tuner locally if you can, if not get w/ your local mustang club and try to put together a tune day or try to do a tune day in conjunction with a car show. I'd start by posting a thread to on here to others in your area and see who all will commit to having doug tune their cars. Then get with a local club and see if there is any other interest. Get a list together and contact Doug at Bamachips. I think we ended up w/ 9 or 10 who wanted tunes and that was enough for Doug to come to Oklahoma.

Until you can get a custom tune just enjoy the FRPP tune for a while. It's going to be a lot better than stock. Then when you get the custom tune hang on!

Just a few other pieces of advice that I wish I would have followed:

Once you get the Whipple installed and you have the FRPP tune don't do any other engine performance related mods until just before the custom tune is done. I mean mods such as headers and exhaust. The FRPP pro-cal tool cannot account for any mods other than gears or tire size. I had long tube headers and I can't explain it any other way other than the car just felt funny.

Also if you are going with a custom tune down the road you will need the Shelby GT500 Fuel pump. The stock pump will handle the FRPP tune, but if you want to get a more aggressive custom tune you will need the new pump or you may experience fuel starvation. Moving on............If you are going to get a custom tune, go ahead and get the 8lb pulley. Its safe for the auto. Doug recommended it and I am really happy with it.

Lastly, If you are going to do this and want the fuel pump let me know. I really want to get an intercooler kit, but it comes with the Shelby GT500 fuel pump that I already have. I'm in no hurry, but I'm looking for someone who would be willing to buy the fuel pump from me if I buy the intercooler kit. Again, I'm not in any hurry, but if you are interested let me know. Sorry for the lengthy post. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me.
Old 8/30/07, 08:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

ABSOLUTELY! If you want a custom tune that is. Forced induction is a serious mod. This isn't simply a cold air intake. My first C&L cold air intake came from Lidio at Alternative Auto in Michigan. I loved his tune so when I inquired about the Whipple he said he would not do a mail order/email tune for any forced induction car. He said there are way to many variables that have to be addressed.

Because of all of the great things I had heard about Doug I called him and he said the same thing. He then told me about the portable dyno and his willingness to come to Oklahoma to custom dyno tune the car. I was sold!!!!!! So absolutely get a custom tune on the dyno. Find a good tuner locally if you can, if not get w/ your local mustang club and try to put together a tune day or try to do a tune day in conjunction with a car show. I'd start by posting a thread to on here to others in your area and see who all will commit to having doug tune their cars. Then get with a local club and see if there is any other interest. Get a list together and contact Doug at Bamachips. I think we ended up w/ 9 or 10 who wanted tunes and that was enough for Doug to come to Oklahoma.

Until you can get a custom tune just enjoy the FRPP tune for a while. It's going to be a lot better than stock. Then when you get the custom tune hang on!

Just a few other pieces of advice that I wish I would have followed:

Once you get the Whipple installed and you have the FRPP tune don't do any other engine performance related mods until just before the custom tune is done. I mean mods such as headers and exhaust. The FRPP pro-cal tool cannot account for any mods other than gears or tire size. I had long tube headers and I can't explain it any other way other than the car just felt funny.

Also if you are going with a custom tune down the road you will need the Shelby GT500 Fuel pump. The stock pump will handle the FRPP tune, but if you want to get a more aggressive custom tune you will need the new pump or you may experience fuel starvation. Moving on............If you are going to get a custom tune, go ahead and get the 8lb pulley. Its safe for the auto. Doug recommended it and I am really happy with it.

Lastly, If you are going to do this and want the fuel pump let me know. I really want to get an intercooler kit, but it comes with the Shelby GT500 fuel pump that I already have. I'm in no hurry, but I'm looking for someone who would be willing to buy the fuel pump from me if I buy the intercooler kit. Again, I'm not in any hurry, but if you are interested let me know. Sorry for the lengthy post. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me.
Your post tempts me into getting the loan I would need to go whipple...
Old 8/30/07, 08:36 PM

Mine is on order!