GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Tune Needed for JBA Short Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/08, 05:21 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Tune Needed for JBA Short Headers?

Just wondering if a tune adjustment is needed to run the JBA Shorty Headers?

From my understanding nothing needs to be done but i just want to make sure.

And i did use the search feature.
Old 5/30/08, 05:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
No tune needed for any shorties that I know of..... that's what I've been told by my local tuner. Didn't need it nor could I have gained anything after I installed my Ford Racing shorties.
Old 5/30/08, 05:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree there is no tune needed for shorties. There ia a place for all of the O2 sensors just like stock. But that is alot of work to put them in with very little benefit. I know where you are located long tubes are out of the question. I would spend my money and energy on another mod.
Scott
Old 5/30/08, 06:03 PM
Cobra Member

Can't pass up the deal and i disagree that the shorties are not a benificial mod. you can gain upwards of 15 Hp and 20 Ft Lbs of torque. I was not going to do them due to normal cost, but i got a deal that i could not pass on.

Thanks guys
Old 5/30/08, 06:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD
Can't pass up the deal and i disagree that the shorties are not a benificial mod. you can gain upwards of 15 Hp and 20 Ft Lbs of torque. I was not going to do them due to normal cost, but i got a deal that i could not pass on.

Thanks guys

Well Richard..if you are not going to loose the cats(which is where the biggest benefit comes from) I don't agree and my dyno sessions with differernt exhausts all the way up to longtubes have to disagree. And I think Tom echos what I am saying. The stock exhaust manifolds have been proven to support up to 650 RWHP. Only 2 trips to the dyno will prove your point.
Scott

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 5/30/08 at 06:11 PM.
Old 5/30/08, 06:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Good luck Richard....... performance gains or not, they will certainly look better than the stockers.

Old 5/30/08, 06:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Never have thrown a code with my JBA shorty headers and I got 45 rwhp & 50 rwtq when I installed mine.
Old 5/30/08, 06:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
Never have thrown a code with my JBA shorty headers and I got 45 rwhp & 50 rwtq when I installed mine.

Gee Rich...are you parting them out also? I will sell my OBX longtubes and buy them puppies in a heartbeat!!! You must have a set of "SUPER SHORTIES"
Old 5/30/08, 07:08 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Good luck Richard....... performance gains or not, they will certainly look better than the stockers.

Yeah that is also another reason
Old 5/30/08, 07:09 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
Holy smokes. What other mods did you have. Thats more than guys have been getting with cams.
Old 5/30/08, 07:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

I was just kidding. Shortys look good and in combination with pulleys, delete plates and cold air kit/ tune I think they add H.P.
Old 5/30/08, 09:51 PM
GT Member

Ahh I was wondering how you got that hp number.
Old 5/31/08, 03:38 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are the jba's tuned shorties? I have heard from several people that have the jba's they don't really do too much. I have heard from several people that they noticed a difference in power and sound with the bbk shorties... I was thinking about getting a set over longtubes to avoid changing my down pipes...
Old 5/31/08, 04:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I don't yet have a dyno to back it up, but I definitely feel a difference with the JBA shorties, and there is a distinct sound change, especially at flat idle, and again at WOT...
I had the shorties done at the same time as the UDP's and Delete Plates. Yes, part of the gain is from these two, but I am convinced there is a good gain from the headers as well....And, they look a ton better......

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Tune Needed for JBA Short Headers?-gomods-001-large-.jpg   Tune Needed for JBA Short Headers?-gomods-003-large-.jpg   Tune Needed for JBA Short Headers?-gomods-004-large-.jpg   Tune Needed for JBA Short Headers?-gomods-012-large-.jpg   Tune Needed for JBA Short Headers?-gomods-014-large-.jpg  

Old 5/31/08, 04:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Got Oatz
Well, I don't yet have a dyno to back it up, but I definitely feel a difference with the JBA shorties, and there is a distinct sound change, especially at flat idle, and again at WOT...
I had the shorties done at the same time as the UDP's and Delete Plates. Yes, part of the gain is from these two, but I am convinced there is a good gain from the headers as well....And, they look a ton better......

Mike
Yep I am with you. I am certain they will give a gain.
Will it be huge?
Doubtful

Will they be worth what i paid?

Yes

I paid if under 500.00 bucks for the silver ceramic deliverd and I am pretty sure i will get at the minimum 15 HP/20Ft. Lbs.TQ and the added benifit of the good looks then it is money well spent in my book.

Also i have been using JBA headers for about 20 years now and they have always made an improvement to any vehicle I have had them on. Both in sounds and performance.
Old 5/31/08, 04:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD
Yep I am with you. I am certain they will give a gain.
Will it be huge?
Doubtful

Will they be worth what i paid?

Yes

I paid if under 500.00 bucks for the silver ceramic deliverd and I am pretty sure i will get at the minimum 15 HP/20Ft. Lbs.TQ and the added benifit of the good looks then it is money well spent in my book.

Also i have been using JBA headers for about 20 years now and they have always made an improvement to any vehicle I have had them on. Both in sounds and performance.
Richard,
I love the silver ceramic coated. I am so glad I went that way. I am getting ready to change out my valve covers to Black Powder Coat, and the JBA's will look great down below em. And knowing what your engine bay looks like....

And yes, that is a good deal. Same thing I did....I got mine for 483 delivered. Folks all over E Bay list em for 697.....Good deal.....

Mike
Old 5/31/08, 04:50 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the compliment

After seeing your install the one thing that bums me out is I also have some Prothane Motor Mounts with the Red Bushing and looks like those won't be visible due to the headers. Such is life.
Old 5/31/08, 04:59 PM
Cobra Member

I have the so called equal length tube JBA shorties. Besides being nearly equal length, they do have a nice transition spike where the 4 tubes joint in the collector, which has been shown to improve header performance. I think they will make a measurable difference, and at least at one time JBA were claiming a 20HP increase over the stock header.

Ashamed to say mine are not installed yet, but I did recently get them back from Jet Hot for ceramic coating (they are actually silver, but the sunset when the photo was taken added some red).

After I install I plan to run it on a chassis dyno, if not for anything else just to be sure the tune is as good as it can be. Especially want to get rid of that throttle hang between shifts. If it makes +20HP over stock, I will be over the moon.
Attached Thumbnails Tune Needed for JBA Short Headers?-dcp_0796.jpg  
Old 5/31/08, 05:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

You still don't have those headers on yet?
Old 5/31/08, 05:28 PM
Cobra Member

Sad, isn't it!

Quick Reply: Tune Needed for JBA Short Headers?