GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Which Tune do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/07, 09:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea but if I get a tune I'm done with 87(I use 89 now as 87 will get pings on hot days every now and again). I figure using 91 tunes most of the time means I can easilly find gas anywhere I go.
Old 6/9/07, 09:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Willie
As far as I'm concerned, no canned tune is the BEST for your vehicle. They will most likely be better than the stock tune for most but not completely optimized. For a few, these may cause some driveability issues. Therefore, I use my own. Read Post #9 in this thread:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=65913

If you're planning on one or two or a number of mods, then go with a canned tune. The problem is, you'll probably want to continue to mod. And when you do, you'll need another tune file... and on and on. This is why I decided to buy the software (SCT's Advantage III) so I can modify my own tunes as I mod the car.... In the long run, it's the most economical (if you can call modding cars economical) and it gives you the best tune for your car.
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Problem with that is not everyone is knowledgable enough or willing to try and tune there own car. Plus getting a canned tune from Doug or Brenspeed has been proven safe and effective time and time again. If you add mods Doug and Brenspeed offer to update your tunes at no additional cost. I took my car to get dynoed at JBA while running Dougs tune and after looking at the results from my pulls the techs told me they're custom tune would only net me 1-2 extra HP.
Recommending that people buy the software and try to tune themselves is all well and good until the blow their engine cause they dont know WTF they are doing....
Old 6/9/07, 09:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Why mess with a good thing. People like Doug are very dedicated and have just about every variable figured out. I don't know how much faith I put in local speed shop tunes to start with. We have gotten plenty of blown up cars that were 'hooked up' by local speed shops. And as is said, spending even more money for another tune isn't going to get you any worthwhile extra power. Bama/Tillman/Brenspeed make it as easy as putting two big lego blocks together to get more power then hours of tinkering would get you a few years ago.
Old 6/10/07, 12:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by philster2003
I didn't realize that Leo, Doug will send an updated tune if I *** 4.10 gears for example? Or I add UDP's?

That’s totally cool is that’s the case. Wow that’s why we buy from these reputable dealers. Value add, and customer service are there selling points.
Yes he will modify your tunes as you add new stuff. I think the only time he charges is if you need a tune for S/C.
Old 6/10/07, 07:40 AM

93 Race Tune

I just got back from Jasper, Alabama yesterday where Doug personally dynoed tuned my Mustang at the Bama Race-Track. I had about a 1/2 tank of 87 octane so Doug set me up with the 87 Tune until I could put 93 in going forward. I got the C&L Racer Intake and the X-2 with 93-P, 93-T, and 93-R tunes.

It was about 97 degrees yesterday and my 07 Mustang pulled a 252 HP - 265 - Torque bone stock. (Also after I drove 200 miles).

We installed the 87 Tune and Intake and the new numbers were 270 HP - 282 Torque.

I filled up with 93 last-night and installed the Race Tune this morning. Went for a test drive and Holy ****!!! I rolled out of 1st gear until about 3 grand and nailed it. WAAAAAHHHUUUUU!!!! Hit second and my Traction Control Indicator came on!!! Man this tune really woke up my car. I really want to see how much more HP / Torque I got with the Race Tune. It sure feels like 10+ HP / Torque.

I asked Doug if the 93 Race Tune would hurt the car for daily driving and he said absouletly not.

Doug is awesome and I would recomend anyone who lives in his area to get your car duno / tuned by him.

Thanks everyone.
Old 6/10/07, 07:36 PM
GT Member

The race and performance programs from Doug are identical; the only thing that is changed is the aggressiveness of the throttle calibration.
Old 6/10/07, 08:28 PM
V6 Member

Hey fellas, new to the forums. Just bought an 07 GT a few weeks ago. So who is Doug and what's his website?

I ordered the C&L Racer intake with the xcal 2 from brenspeed.com (also picked up an o/r H and the MAC a/b). I've read good things about them around the net and figured i'd give it a shot. But it seems that Doug is the almighty around here...lol. Enlighten me.....

Thanks!
Old 6/10/07, 08:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have 1 tune and that is the 91 octane from Brenspeed.

I would like to see some dyno numbers for the race and torque tunes on the same car on the same day. Personally I think they are just marketing gimmicks.
Old 6/10/07, 08:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TonyN
Hey fellas, new to the forums. Just bought an 07 GT a few weeks ago. So who is Doug and what's his website?

I ordered the C&L Racer intake with the xcal 2 from brenspeed.com (also picked up an o/r H and the MAC a/b). I've read good things about them around the net and figured i'd give it a shot. But it seems that Doug is the almighty around here...lol. Enlighten me.....

Thanks!
www.bamachips.com
Old 6/10/07, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyN

Thanks!
He may have some good tunes for you 02 alsoBrenspeed may thoses also
Old 6/10/07, 08:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Are his tunes that much better than anyone elses? I have Steeda right down the street when I want to go downt he mod route. Keep in mind I am a total noob to modding a mustang so any help would be apprieciated.
Old 6/11/07, 07:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
I typically run 91P from Tillman Speed. Their Race tune is really responsive, but too much so for daily driving. The performance tune is almost as fast overall, but more driveable.
Old 6/11/07, 08:04 AM
Cobra Member

I think you will find there are a few great providers (BAMA, Tillman, Brenspeed) that come to mind and are probably close to each other in performance and results. You can't go wrong with any of these guys.

I have BAMA installed and I have the 93Race tune installed and its outstanding and very drivable, very drivable.

Just buy from a quality dealer especially if you want customer service and after sales support!

I also don't think I would ever tweak a program parameter with the SCT I have, I let the professionals create and maintain these great programs. I can really see a train wreck as we call them at work coming when someone tweaks a provided program or tries to do their own programming. I'm sure there are some that can do that but the number would be very small across the US IMO. To easy to screw it up, I just let the big boys do the work and support.
Old 6/11/07, 11:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Doug's 93 race tune
Old 6/11/07, 05:21 PM
V6 Member

Ahh okay, makes sense now. Thanks fellas!

Well, I'll see how my brenspeed tune turns out. Can't wait, these cars aren't all that fun in stock form. The tune should really wake it up and increase the fun factor.