GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Tri-ax shifter install

Search this Thread

Old 2/18/05, 01:04 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok so out of all these tri-ax's out there, which of you intalled it yourself? If you did, please tell how it went?

Was it all top down without putting the car up? Was it easy to get to all the bolts/etc to undo the old one and tighten up the new one?

I've installed short shift kits in BMWs before, but this is uncharted territory.

Thanks!
Old 2/18/05, 01:13 PM
GT Member

Talking

It is not quite as easy as installing a top loading transmission short throw shifter. I did however install mine all by myself. You do have to put the car up in the air. It is mostly all done beneath the car. Because it is a shifter that works by linkage not direct, the brackets on it bolt to the underside of the car, and to the transmission. Steeda says that you need to remove the drive shaft in order to do the job, but I did not. It would have made it a little easier to manuver around a little, but it just took some fancy arm bending work. Basically, after unbolting the stock shifter, it easily comes out the top. The Steeda piece comes in two pieces, and that was the way I had to put it in; in two pieces, and then bolt them together under the car. If you take out the driveshaft, you can avoid that. Make sure you lube the brass bushings, and tighten the rear bracket on tight, or it will start to squeek. Have fun!

-Andy
Old 2/18/05, 05:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Andy covered it well........I removed the drive shaft, no biggie and made it very easy. It took me about 2-1/2 hours from start to finish.
Old 2/18/05, 05:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by peet@February 18, 2005, 2:07 PM
Ok so out of all these tri-ax's out there, which of you intalled it yourself? If you did, please tell how it went?

Was it all top down without putting the car up? Was it easy to get to all the bolts/etc to undo the old one and tighten up the new one?

I've installed short shift kits in BMWs before, but this is uncharted territory.

Thanks!
what exactly is the benefit of going with the tri-axe shifter. the speed shop i got my exhaust at suggested it, so i was just curious.

Old 2/18/05, 06:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hi Steve...... The Tri-ax(Most any aftermarket unit) will shorten the throws and GREATLY decrease the slop in the stock unit. There is some small increase in noise when shifting and driving, but not objectionable IMO. I have put them in the last (4) stangs I've owned, the 05 is the "Best" stock so far.
Old 2/18/05, 06:17 PM
V6 Member

Thanks fellas! Question about the 'increase in noise' aspect... you mean in shifting into gear the '*****, *****' sound of the limiter hitting the lever or there is noise from the tranny itself?

Lastly, did you do this work on stands, ramps or a lift? I get nervous every time I have to go under a ton of steel Wish I could find a reputable small shop by me. Sadly I live in a land of mass consumption, fast food and kids stores (aka foofie suburbs).
P
Old 2/18/05, 08:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by peet@February 19, 2005, 1:20 AM
Thanks fellas! Question about the 'increase in noise' aspect... you mean in shifting into gear the '*****, *****' sound of the limiter hitting the lever or there is noise from the tranny itself?

Lastly, did you do this work on stands, ramps or a lift? I get nervous every time I have to go under a ton of steel Wish I could find a reputable small shop by me. Sadly I live in a land of mass consumption, fast food and kids stores (aka foofie suburbs).
P
You will hear the "*****" and there is some noise, buzz if you will ,because of the design of the unit. I have the stops set back so you would only hit them if you bang gears. I did the work with front ramps and the rear axle on stands and laying on a creeper. It's a straighforward mod. The tria-ax comes with good instructions and a s Andy above said use grease on the brass bushings for the shift arm. As I say I don't find the noise to be an issue, just wanted to be accurate about it.
Old 2/18/05, 10:01 PM
V6 Member

Thank you again for the info!
Old 2/20/05, 01:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
What kind of grease should be used? Since there are different types for different applications.
Old 2/20/05, 02:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

I used a Moly grease.