GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Trans temp sender location?

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/06, 10:56 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans temp sender location?

Hey guys, made my first post into a question. If anyone has installed a trans temp gauge, I wanted to know if you tapped the transmission pan for the sender, or if you used the diagnostic pressure port? I'm just starting to learn about gauges, so opinions and constructive flames are more than welcome.
Old 3/2/08, 08:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Hi Sook,
I want to add an autometer trans temp gauge, how did you end up doing yours?
Thanks
Old 3/28/08, 08:47 AM
GT Member

No follow up response on this? I'm curious to the answer myself.
Old 3/28/08, 11:28 AM
GT Member

sorry, I never got a response out of this thread and forgot all about it. Basically, I found that there is a pressure port on the drivers side of the transmission. It just so happens to be 1/8 NPT, the exact size of the autometer sender. It just screws right in.

To get to the diagnostic pressure port plug, you will need a 1/4 drive 11mm socket. You can't really see the plug, but you can feel it. It is above and a bit aft of the TR sensor (black thing). There is a picture of the port in the factory service manual. I can post the PDF when I get home from work. Just unbolt the plug and screw in the sender. I didn't even lose any trans fluid really when I pulled the plug.

I normally see temps around 180* in traffic and only crested 200* once during a spririted game of follow the leader.

Last edited by sook; 3/28/08 at 11:37 AM.
Old 3/28/08, 03:07 PM
GT Member

found a picture. It is in the Special Testing Procedures section of the Automatic Transmission part of the service manual. This view is looking at the drivers side of the tranny. The TR sensor is the black thing that you can use a visual landmark. Pull the bolt in position 1 and replace with your sender. Over a year on mine in that location with a single issue.
Attached Images  
Old 3/28/08, 03:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just want to add some additional info. If you don't want to go with a specific trans temp gauge you can do what I did and install dual Aeroforce scan gauges that plug into the OBDII port. You can scan many of the engine and transmission sensors available. One of the ones I scan is the trans temperature. It usually runs between 170-180 degrees. These gauges are very flexible as far as what parameter you want to scan.
Scott
Old 3/29/08, 10:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks guys, glad to get this information!
Old 3/29/08, 10:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
I just want to add some additional info. If you don't want to go with a specific trans temp gauge you can do what I did and install dual Aeroforce scan gauges that plug into the OBDII port. You can scan many of the engine and transmission sensors available. One of the ones I scan is the trans temperature. It usually runs between 170-180 degrees. These gauges are very flexible as far as what parameter you want to scan.
Scott

Hey Scott - any pictures of the actual OBDII connection and your pods as installed?
Curious if the connection would be in the way of my leg...

Last edited by Emu Hunter; 3/29/08 at 10:49 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 3/29/08, 11:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Emu Hunter
Hey Scott - any pictures of the actual OBDII connection and your pods as installed?
Curious if the connection would be in the way of my leg...
Here is a picture of my scan gauges and the OBDII connect. The connector has a 90 degree plug on it. It never will get in you way. It is tucked up nice and neat. You can also see my trans temperature is the bottom reading.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails Trans temp sender location?-scan-gauges.jpg   Trans temp sender location?-obd-connection.jpg  
Old 3/30/08, 05:59 AM
Bullitt Member

****, that is a nice setup. So here's my mathematical dilemma now...

I've previously bought 3 of the very nice Nexus gauges, not knowing about these scan gauges until this weekend. I've bought A/F ratio, trans temp, and oil temp. Adding in the receiver unit that is needed with Nexus gauges, it comes to a whopping $1K of goodies (ouchie).

But now I'm thinking I want to get these scanning gauges due to their plug&play aspect! I see it would run me $400 at most shops online to get the double gauge package like you did. Single scan gauge is $240. I have a 3-gauge pod SOS a-pillar ready to go, so I'm a bit misconfigured if I change my plans now.

If money were no object, my past 24-hours research seems to suggest I would want to do the following setup:

Nexus A/F Ratio gauge
Nexus Oil Temp gauge
Aeroforce Scan gauge

This would retain my SOS pillar and maximize the data too, since Oil Temp is not sent from the OBDII port. I think cutting and welding into the exhaust line isn't too too bad a job to have done, but I haven't found yet if there is a diagnostics port to place the oil temp sensor into. I have zero intentions to drill into the engine/pan to get the oil temp data.

Hmm... dilemmas dilemmas...
Old 3/30/08, 06:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Emu Hunter
****, that is a nice setup. So here's my mathematical dilemma now...

I've previously bought 3 of the very nice Nexus gauges, not knowing about these scan gauges until this weekend. I've bought A/F ratio, trans temp, and oil temp. Adding in the receiver unit that is needed with Nexus gauges, it comes to a whopping $1K of goodies (ouchie).

But now I'm thinking I want to get these scanning gauges due to their plug&play aspect! I see it would run me $400 at most shops online to get the double gauge package like you did. Single scan gauge is $240. I have a 3-gauge pod SOS a-pillar ready to go, so I'm a bit misconfigured if I change my plans now.

If money were no object, my past 24-hours research seems to suggest I would want to do the following setup:

Nexus A/F Ratio gauge
Nexus Oil Temp gauge
Aeroforce Scan gauge

This would retain my SOS pillar and maximize the data too, since Oil Temp is not sent from the OBDII port. I think cutting and welding into the exhaust line isn't too too bad a job to have done, but I haven't found yet if there is a diagnostics port to place the oil temp sensor into. I have zero intentions to drill into the engine/pan to get the oil temp data.

Hmm... dilemmas dilemmas...

I do see your dilemma. And I have to agree since you have the triple SOS pod you could just add the one scan guage to the Nexus gauges you have. These scan gauges can also read engine oil temps but you have to get an additional sending unit that cost like $60 to my it read correctly. These scan gauges also saved me about another $400. I was ready to buy a Gentex rearview mirror with temp/compass in it but the scan gauges have intake air temp and it is very accurate for ambient air temps as long as the car is moving.
Good luck!!
Scott