GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

TPMS question.

Search this Thread

Old 10/26/07, 06:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS question.

I have an 07 GT with obviously has the TPMS. I'm going to get some after market rims/tires. I know I can get them out of my stock wheels, but do you have to run this monitoring system? If there is fault, will you fail state safety inspections?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 10/26/07, 06:57 PM
V6 Member

Don't know about the state inspection. However, it is my understanding that you only have to reset the "dummy" light/message when you start the car. I'll find out for sure when I put on my Foose wheels tomorrow. I opted to not install the TPMS bands for the larger wheels.
Old 10/26/07, 07:05 PM

A buddy of mine has aftermarket wheels and he just turns of the idiot light at startup. Now sure on the state inspections?
Old 10/26/07, 07:11 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can have the TPMS sensors moved over to your new wheels. Discount tire did that for me when I bought mine. They called it a "chrome band" and it cost $10 per wheel.

Doing something like that would be your best bet......

Originally Posted by 07alloygt
I have an 07 GT with obviously has the TPMS. I'm going to get some after market rims/tires. I know I can get them out of my stock wheels, but do you have to run this monitoring system? If there is fault, will you fail state safety inspections?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 10/26/07, 07:16 PM
GT Member

Even if you don't get the sensors put on your aftermarket wheels it's not a big deal. My dummy light comes on maybe 4-5 times per "month" and you just press the reset and it's gone. Are you going to be storing your factory rims/sensors in the garage or near your car? If so then you will rarely ever see that dummy light as the system is satisfied.
Old 10/26/07, 07:46 PM
V6 Member

I bought new ford bands for the 18" rims I was going to get. paid $200 for all four. I got 19" instead. Now what do i do with these?
Old 10/26/07, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just had one of my tires fixed on Wednesday because I had run over a screw. Anyway, when the mechanic removed the tire from the rim, the tightened band had extra length on it. I'm not certain, but it might fit a 19" rim. Did you contact your dealer and ask? I have the Ford replacement bands also...nice pricing huh?
Old 10/27/07, 03:44 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard that the Ford one are expensive!

Get some bands from Discount tire for about $10 per, or the American Muscle ones for $17 each.....

Due to federally mandated bureaucracy, all 2007+ Mustangs are coming equipped with TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) Sensors. This is the cause of great despair and anguish for owners of these Mustangs that wish to upgrade their stock wheels to some kick'n new aftermarket wheels.
Until now their only options were to drive an illegally sensorless vehicle with annoying warning lights all over the dash, or stop by papa Ford's place for replacement bands and sensors at almost $120 per wheel!
Now American Muscle allows you to reuse your factory wheel's sensors on your aftermarket rims for a fraction of the price! A single, sensorless band from Ford costs on average $56, now you can use our Universal Mustang TPMS Sensor Mounting Band and Brackets on any of our aftermarket 2005+ wheels and you can have 4 of them for only slightly over the cost of a single Ford band! Now that is value!

NOTE: Kit Contains Single Band and Single Bracket...need it for 2 wheels...buy 2 kits...need it for 4 wheels...buy 4 kits!

http://www.americanmuscle.com/universal-tpms-bands.html

Originally Posted by GTMark052
I just had one of my tires fixed on Wednesday because I had run over a screw. Anyway, when the mechanic removed the tire from the rim, the tightened band had extra length on it. I'm not certain, but it might fit a 19" rim. Did you contact your dealer and ask? I have the Ford replacement bands also...nice pricing huh?