GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

TPMS?Any fixes yet?

Search this Thread

Old 1/25/08, 09:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TPMS?Any fixes yet?

Has anyone figured out how to dissarm the TPMS...or switch SJB to 05-06 model year...or any other way around putting these **** sensors in my wheels...Thanks
Old 1/26/08, 08:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my new wheels and tires on within two weeks of getting my car and was looking at the same thing. I found info from people that put them in a pcv tube with an air valve stored in the trunk, to others that thought a tuner might be able to turn them off (not permissable by law). In the end Discount tire put them on my new wheels for 9.00 per tire. They used bands they keep in stock for this. Don't buy the new ones from Ford for 47.00 a peice. It's no big deal now that the tire stores are up to speed so just put em on and forget about em. just my .02 worth.
Old 1/26/08, 11:28 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
9.00 bucks a tire is a pretty cheap investment when it comes down to safety along with protectiing your tire purchase as well as helping to achieve better efficiency over the life of the vehicle.

I can't for the life of me wonder why folks consider TPMS so inconvient? Tires are the foundation for everything the car does and tire pressure is critical to the function of the tire at all times. Ideally, tire pressure should be checked every time the vehicle is operated if for no other reason than the crap inthe road that can damage the tire and lead to a failure - however I'd pay real money to meet the person that carries a pressure guage in their pocket and does that - However with the TPMS thats what you are essentially doing, checking the tire pressure continously as you operate the vehicle.

Nevermind the possible legal ramifiactions you open yourself up to by defeating a safety system on the car that could have prevented an accident.
Old 1/26/08, 01:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I can look at my tires and guess the pressure within 5 lbs +/-
17 years in the tire industry will do that to ya.
Old 1/26/08, 04:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tpms

..im not saying that if you have it already installed its incovienient...but when i have to break down a set of perfectly balanced 18 factory wheels...and have some bozo at a tire shop or even my dealer...mount that sensor and then try to rebalance them and get it right the first time...is what bothers me. My car came with factory 17's...i got the sensors..but i bought a set of 18's with tires...OEM. If i could do this alleged PVC tube trick...that would be great...not to mention paying 150.00 bucks to balance and dismount...ect...and then having to calibrate the whole thing...PAIN IN MY ? if you ask me...my '05 didn't have them and i had no trouble...and im good at guessing tire pressure as well...as stated above...lol
Old 1/26/08, 04:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just wish the TPMS would tell me which tire is going down, like the Jeeps that I've driven did. Real helpful in the winter, at night, in areas you'd rather not spend much time in!!!
Old 1/27/08, 01:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The TPMS sensors are about $60 each and have a 5-year battery inside each of them. The factory sensors have to be cut-off and replaced with the replacement sensors that are clamped to the wheel via worm gear.

NHTSA has made them mandatory for all cars as of MY 2007.

NHTSA just made dynamic stability control mandatory for all cars as of MY 2010, and Ford plans to implement DSC on all of its cars in MY 2009.
Old 1/27/08, 03:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Actually they are suppose to be 7-10 year batteries, but we shall see.

Battery powered for long life; 10 years or 150,000 miles.

Most direct type pressure sensors are powered by a lithium battery with an expected lifespan of seven to 10 years.
Old 1/27/08, 05:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It's unlikely they will last that long especially in extreme temperatures. The lithium ion complex doesn't work well in cold temperatures and heat is the enemy of all chemical reaction based batteries.