GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Total package for '06 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 1/9/06, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know much about cars and will need someone to install any upgrades to a V8 2006 mustang that I want. Basically, I need to know what I engine upgrades to buy and also how to locate a trustworthy installer in the San Antonio area. I don't want to use the car for racing. Rather, I want a powerful sounding engine with a reliable supercharger (probably a twin screw since I've read that this style has a louder whisling sound than the centrifugal version) and I want the deepest,throaty exhaust system that I can. The sound of the vehicle and reliability are my two main concerns.

Unfortunately most threads I've read just refer to individual parts such as a supercharger, tuner, or ported pistons. Since I don't know squat about cars, I need to know what TOTAL package of parts I would need to order and have installed. I don't mind spending up around $7,500 for parts and installation.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 1/9/06, 10:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1) Roush supercharger kit (complete)
2) SLP loud mouths
3) Enjoy

tom281
Old 1/10/06, 11:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what tom said
Old 1/10/06, 11:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, I'll have a number 1 please. Does that come with number 3?
Old 1/10/06, 12:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Twin screw louder than centrifugal? I thought it was the other way around. Of course, traditional roots being the loudest. Right?
Old 1/10/06, 12:26 PM

I gotta agree with Chris... the twin screws I have heard in person (Saleen, KB) on '05s don't seem as loud as the Procharger or Vortech (I've heard them in person too). But really, none of them are really that loud anyway.

This is a video of a Kenne Bell (black car - stick) vs. a Saleen SC (silver car - auto): Video Link. Note that the KB was running "at least" 10lbs of boost, and the Saleen was just at 4lbs. Both had stock gears/exhaust. The black one was having clutch "issues" as well.
Old 1/10/06, 01:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by RandyB@January 10, 2006, 1:50 PM
Yeah, I'll have a number 1 please. Does that come with number 3?

Absolutely! Thank you, please pull to the 2nd window please.........
Old 1/10/06, 01:48 PM
Bullitt Member

The Roushcharger is a roots type like the '03/'04/'07 Cobra, and is more audible than a twin screw I believe, but less than most centrifugals (without helical gears).
Old 1/10/06, 01:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just for the record, I don't know for sure (atleast with the new cars) which supercharger is loudest. I recommended the Roush because its a very thorough kit, gets great performance even using the factory airbox and such, and reads like its fairly easy to install (cheaper labor costs).

However, one thing to remember is if he wants a loud exhaust, you may not notice the difference in volume between any of the superchargers too much, especially if he goes with Loudmouths.

tom281
Old 1/10/06, 06:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by don_w@January 10, 2006, 1:29 PM
This is a video of a Kenne Bell (black car - stick) vs. a Saleen SC (silver car - auto): Video Link. Note that the KB was running "at least" 10lbs of boost, and the Saleen was just at 4lbs. Both had stock gears/exhaust. The black one was having clutch "issues" as well.
Dang, the KB car frog hopped the Saleen car pretty badly. Was that from the big difference in boost, or did the Saleen car just not launch as hard?
Old 1/10/06, 07:03 PM

KB was running at least 10lbs of boost and was a manual, with 3.55s (and maybe DRs, too). The Saleen was just 4lbs of boost, with an auto tranny, with 3.31 gears and stock tires. It wasn't a fair fight by any means.

I don't know what the KB car ran that night, but I do know that the Saleen car never did run as fast as mine did (without a blower). His best was 8.47 and mine was 8.43.
Old 1/10/06, 07:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

About what to get for 7.5k that fits your goals? Any complete FI kit and (full?) exhaust.
Old 1/12/06, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the great feedback. But what about changing out the shifter, gears, or a pulley? Is a Roush supercharger and SBL loudmouths really just enough?

Is Roush really better than Saleen or ProChargers superchargers?
Old 1/12/06, 03:32 PM

eselle... don't take this wrong, but you are asking some very broad questions without really knowing what you want to do. In your first post, you said, "I want a powerful sounding engine with a reliable supercharger (probably a twin screw since I've read that this style has a louder whisling sound than the centrifugal version) and I want the deepest,throaty exhaust system that I can. The sound of the vehicle and reliability are my two main concerns."

And now you are asking about "shifter, gears, or a pulley"... which is somewhat different from your original statement.

And blanket questions like, "Is Roush really better than Saleen or ProChargers superchargers?" and "Is a Roush supercharger and SBL loudmouths really just enough?" have no single right answer. The answer is "it depends". It depends on what you want to do with your car, and how you plan on driving it, and a bunch of other things.

Do you even have the car yet? If not (or even if you do), I suggest you spend some quality time reading this forum to educate yourself on what options are out there, and what each one does. That's what I did about a year ago... before I even got my car. I did a lot of reading of multiple forums, and learned a lot from guys who have "been there, done that"... and I still do - every day.
Old 1/13/06, 07:29 AM

I've read up on various forums including MMFF and supercharger online forums, and I will continue to read them in addition to magazines since I have a long way to go as far as understanding what I need (before I buy the mustang).

I really only care about reliability and sound. And so, the "best" product would be the one excelling in those aspects.

I was asking about shifters, pulleys, and gears because I am working on the assumption that they generate/unlock more horsepower which in turn causes the engine to produce more thunder.
Old 1/13/06, 09:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Don's right, the questions are kinda very general and broad.

Every supercharger is going to put "unecessary" stress and strain on an engine, thus reducing reliability vs. a non supercharged engine. That being said, every supercharger has strengths and weaknesses. The twin screws boast lower boost pressure and lower incoming air charge temp, but at the same time, the twin screws are "always on" which might negate any benefits from the lower boost pressure in terms of stress on the engine. The centrifugals "spool up" at higher RPM which means you can kinda drive your car around as if it wasn't supercharged if you wanted to. Some centifugals are tap into your car's oil and coolant instead of being "self contained." This can be a benefit or liability. If the supercharger taps into your car's oil and somehow malfunction, it could seriously damage your engine. I'm not too sure what the liability of a self contained unit it. A turbo has the same benefits of a centrifugal in that you can drive out of boost if you want to. A turbo is a lot more complicated because of the rerouting of your exhaust to spin the turbine. This causes a lot more heat under the hood, and that combined with the difficulty of tuning a turbo app might make it not fit under your "reliable" requirement.

Pulleys might mess up your car's air conditioning and alternators capabilities. I wouldn't recommend pulleys if you are concerned with a problem free ride.

Gears will reduce fuel economy (oops, as will a supercharger, duh) and might make driving unpleasant if you don't like shifting a lot. Rear gears don't actually generate/unlock hp, they simply alter all your gear ratios (faster acceleration, less top speed for each gear).

I'm not a guru, my knowledge merely comes from reading internet forums, so maybe Don or someone can say yay or nay for the advice I'm spouting out here.

P.S. Don...dang, that's some nice driving... (referring to beating a s/c 05 with your n/a 05.