GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Torque convertor question....Need answers fast.

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/08, 08:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Torque convertor question....Need answers fast.

I need some torque converter advice. I have a tranny leak. I'm told it's due to the torque converter getting too hot because of the Whipple. Ford will put a new stock converter in, or I can go aftermarket. What do you all recommend. I'm somewhat familiar with TCI, but that's about it. Keep in mind my car is an automatic and I'm not taking it to the track every weekend. Doug is going to be here in a week and a half to retune my car so I need to decide something quick. I'm assuming It needs to be installed before the tune.......or does the tune even affect the torque converter?

Also.......who has the best price. Thanks guys.......I know you all will be a big help......and yes I realize I misspelled convertor in the title.
Old 1/14/08, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You do know that all these 5R55S automatics spit fluid by the torque converter, right?
What are they basing this recommendation on? dripping tranny fluid?

5R55S has a vent that leaks right on to the converter. There is a vent in the back near the tail shaft. There is a long rubber hose that runs to the front of the trans from the vent and it attaches on to the bell housing to a "L" fitting. That fitting then dumps the overflow tranny fluid to the converter housing area. This overspray happens frequently when driving the car hard. Then you have tranny fluid dripping from your converter area that appears to be a bad seal - it is NOT. It is just the vent spitting fluid.

You can buy a breather kit from JDM to resolve this.

Converter: If you really need one, I would avoid TCI. They are simply reworked stock converters. They change the impeller angle and that then raises the stall. That will increase temps and not necessarily increase life.
If I were you I would buy a good converter from PI or Level 10.
You should get a multi-disk PI because you are running the Whipple.
I have the Level 10 billett converter and that has worked great.
Old 1/14/08, 10:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks uberPony great info. You may have just summed it up.........anyone else?
Old 1/14/08, 10:17 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I am extremely happy with the stall converter I bought from Fuddle Racing last fall. Great product, works as advertised, great warranty and exchange program, etc. All are lock up style for better fuel economy in 4th & 5th gear (just like a factory converter). All have a huge clutch that can handle full lockup at wide open throttle. All are priced at $560, regardless of stall speed. They offer three different stall speeds. See them all by clicking on the link below...

http://www.fuddleracing.com/05stang.html#AODe

Keep in mind that any stall converter will flash higher as you mod the engine for more power. With your whipple, you should probably stick to the lower rpm stall speed offering (3,000 to 3,200 rpm's), as it'll likely stall much higher than that (perhaps 3,500 to 4,000 rpm's due to the whipple).

I have their 3,800 to 4,000 rpm converter in my N/A 07 GT. With the mods I've done, it actually flashes to 4,300 rpm's (which is just under peak torque - perfect for street/strip action).
Old 1/14/08, 01:08 PM

Here is an image showing the vent tube. The connection at the top of the bell housing is where the tranny fluid is just dumped. This will frequently drip down from the torque converter inspection pan. If you drive the car hard, it vents even more fluid. I thought my new tranny had a bad front seal but it was just the vent blowing off fluid.
The JDM kit remove the line from the top of the bell housing and the extends it to a breather mounted on the firewall.
I am going to buy this kit myself before Spring.
So be careful if someone tells you your trans is leaking because it is most likely just venting fluid and not leaking.
Attached Thumbnails Torque convertor question....Need answers fast.-5r55strans.jpg  
Old 1/14/08, 01:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One more reason to stick with a manual
Old 1/14/08, 01:34 PM
Bullitt Member

If you're considering a new converter, check with alan at
http://www.dirtydogperformance.com/

He really knows his stuff.
Old 1/14/08, 05:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by OKLACOP
I have a tranny leak. I'm told it's due to the torque converter getting too hot because of the Whipple.
Your dealer is full of crap! I'm running an 05 GT @ 14 psi and an 06 GT @ 12 psi - both Saleen S/C'd with the stock transmission and converter. The leak is caused by the vent hose attached to the bellhousing. The answer is a catch can.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...ighlight=catch

Be very careful when choosing a high stall torque converter for a daily driver. I had a TCI SSF T/C in my 05 and went back to the stock converter. I suggest before you decide on a high stall converter for a daily driver, you go for a ride in a similar vehicle with the converter you are considering including the same gear ratio. "Choose wisely".
Old 1/14/08, 05:40 PM
Bullitt Member

If you decide to get a new converter than get the PI multi-plate as it is the only one that will hold up with a supercharger. Get one with about 2800 stall for your TS aplication.

Earl
Old 1/14/08, 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
If you decide to get a new converter than get the PI multi-plate as it is the only one that will hold up with a supercharger. Get one with about 2800 stall for your TS aplication.

Earl
The TCI SSF I had started slipping the lockup clutch on the dyno at about 425 RWHP. The stock converter held up to more RWHP. I definitely recommend a multi-plate like the PI if your still convinced you want a high stall converter.
Old 1/14/08, 07:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

uberPony and tmcolegr, Thanks for your info. This is precisely what the problem was. Once the main Ford tech that works on my car looked at it, he said it was the vent blowing and nothing more. He called JDM and they want $180 and change for the kit. It's a catch can and some hose. Blake found this http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...46737_-1_10475

at Jeggs. It should blend under the hood much better than a silver one once I pull the decal off. All I'll have to do is get some hose and it'll be done. This should fix my problem. Thanks again guys and everyone else that chimed in. I kinda jumped the gun a little thinking it was the torque convertor.
Old 1/14/08, 07:55 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OKLACOP
I kinda jumped the gun a little thinking it was the torque convertor.
But, you still want a stall convertor, even if you don't know it yet.
Old 1/15/08, 06:11 AM

PI stuff is really good. I really like the Level 10 converter I have been running. It has a billett case, multi-disk and locking clutch. It also eliminates the two piece flex-plate.