GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Too many superchargers and turbos confusion?

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/07, 12:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too many superchargers and turbos confusion?

FRC, Vortech, Granatelli turbos, Saleen, Rousch, etc...

Is there any system that is generally agreed upon as the best performer through all RPM ranges. I want to boost my 05 GT Vert AT to around 425 (My tranny won't take more power).

I am going to do the install myself. Your humble opinions please.
Old 7/8/07, 01:26 PM
V6 Member

supercharger

Everyone seems to have their own opinion on what's best. But you hear a lot of good things about the Whipple and Kenne Bell. A Saleen or Roush would probably be a safer bet. A factory spec saleen or roush would run lower boost.
Old 7/8/07, 02:57 PM
GT Member

Roush is a roots blower and I think is one that needs to wind up, also runs warmer and is less efficient, very little potenial and overly expensive.

Saleen/Whipple are both twin screws and are factory options like the roush is. The twin screw is the most efficient of the 3 types of blowers on the market and you get power all the way up doesnt just turn on. Kenne Bell is also another very good twin screw, turbo I dont know as I'll be going SC with one of the 3 twin screws. I'm not an expert this is based off of the research I have done up until now so if wrong someone will chime in. Whipple and Kenne Bell have the most potential of the SC's mentioned here but as stated the Roush(too expensive for what you get) and Saleen both run lower boost levels, although stock you should be ok up to about 10psi. Whatever you do get a GOOD tune, it's all in the tune
Old 7/8/07, 03:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with the twin-screws. KB, Saleen, and Whipple are all quite easy to get 425RWHP with a save level of boost and conservative tune. And you can always go crazy if you felt like it down the road. The Roush at 425 is working pretty hard. The twin screws give you a more efficient level of boost and lower temperatures. If the Roush was $2000 less then the others it would be another story, but its typically more expensive then the others.
Old 7/8/07, 03:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i personally like vortech..idk why but i just do.
but dont listen to a 1 year old lol....seriously
Old 7/8/07, 03:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

If always seen centrifugal blowers as kinda cheesy and under-engineered. The newest, well-engineered turbo setups seem like better options for a setup that is not integrated with the engine itself, and seem to put out more linear power curves with none of the hassle of belts with the centrifugal blowers. The turbo kits now available like Granatelli's look like a great alternative solution to a positive-displacement supercharger with more power using less PSI, with virtually 0 lag and a flat power curve. But there is still a lot to be said of the ultra-clean packaging of a whipple.
Old 7/8/07, 03:51 PM
GT Member

I almost forgot that Brenspeed is coming out with a Saleen kit around end of this month, which will rn a close second to the whipple when the time comes for me to take the plung
Old 7/8/07, 03:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I was in the market for a supercharger this is what I would go with-

JDM Engineering has done tons of these and zero failures that I know of!
http://www.teamjdm.com/shop/product_...roducts_id=178

JMO!
Old 7/8/07, 03:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

whipple kit is great! but anyone near the 425 RWHP range, the Saleen kit stage 1 kit from JDM Performance is a great option too!
Old 7/8/07, 05:09 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
If I was in the market for a supercharger this is what I would go with-

JDM Engineering has done tons of these and zero failures that I know of!
http://www.teamjdm.com/shop/product_...roducts_id=178

JMO!
I have heard bad things about jdm service after the sale...on the flip side I have also heard no one is better at tuning the Saleen sc. If I choose the saleen I'll go with Brents package then maybe get a tune from JDM.
Old 7/8/07, 05:37 PM
Cobra Member

Definitely go with a twin screw for all around performance. You get boost instantly. You'll likely wait for it with a turbo or centrifugal. Turbos are actually one of the most efficient of the bunch, but are the most tricky to size. Whatever you do, make sure you intercool it. You'll be able to run more boost safely with the added benefit of a cooler intake charge which will add to the longevity of the short block.
Old 7/8/07, 05:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Do a lot of reading

Save up your money

Buy a Kenne Bell

I'm partial to KB because I'm getting one installed soon. However check out this link to make your decision:

http://www.superchargersonline.com/?source=google

Old 7/9/07, 06:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Cost was a factor in my decision making, along with the fact that I felt that I didn't need much more power on the street, as a car with over 300 rwhp for normal street driving is enough IMO. So I went with a Vortech, which I can drive around town like normal but still can scream at the track when I get a chance to go. Dyno numbers are in my sig.

If I had no budget limitations, I woulda went with a turbo, probably from Hellion. But, the additional cost of the turbo along with the fact that I could hit the power range I wanted to hit with a centri, made the decision for me. I have no interest in spending an additional +6K to build a motor just to handle the additional boost.
Old 7/9/07, 08:12 AM
Bullitt Member

If I were going FI, I like the new STS turbo, it mounts on the passenger side where the muffler is located. All the plumbing runs along the frame rail to the front and all that you have to do under the hood is run the air intake tube to the TB. You might have to install the intercooler up front of the radiator. No pulling intake manifolds or other pieces off the engine. Zero lag on these new turbos and you will be right at your 425 rwhp with 8 psi boost. It's a nice setup.

And it can be expanded later on to a twin turbo set up if you just have to have that extra power.

Bobby M.
Old 7/9/07, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dswhalen
I want to boost my 05 GT Vert AT to around 425 (My tranny won't take more power).
Don't sell this tranny short... it's been proven by many many people that it is stronger than most originally thought.
Old 7/9/07, 11:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Agree with Don. And the whole secret is in the tune. JimSr@JDM is a wizard with 5R55S tunes, there's no problem putting 450 rwhp thru the slushie with JDM tune (it'll broke eventually if you drag it every weekend though... everything will).
Old 7/9/07, 02:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by MooStang05gt
If I were going FI, I like the new STS turbo, it mounts on the passenger side where the muffler is located. All the plumbing runs along the frame rail to the front and all that you have to do under the hood is run the air intake tube to the TB. You might have to install the intercooler up front of the radiator. No pulling intake manifolds or other pieces off the engine. Zero lag on these new turbos and you will be right at your 425 rwhp with 8 psi boost. It's a nice setup.

And it can be expanded later on to a twin turbo set up if you just have to have that extra power.

Bobby M.
Yea, but don't you end up with a one-pipe exhaust GT? The Granatelli setup builds boost very early(before the N/A engine gets up and going) and stays flat all the way up. Giving up one exhaust pipe is kinda strange.
Old 8/29/07, 10:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

Saleen intercooler?

Does the intercooler come standard with the Saleen kit?
Old 8/29/07, 08:53 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MooStang05gt

Bobby M.
Agreed, I love the sts turbo!
Old 8/29/07, 09:34 PM

If turbo....put it up front by the motor!!!!!!!!!!!
I've installed a Whipple and was very pleased at the ease as well as the detailed instructions they provide.

Quick Reply: Too many superchargers and turbos confusion?