GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Tokico D-Spec owners come in. (Wierd Noises)

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/08, 02:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting thread. I have the Steeda setup with coil overs from Tokico (front/rear). I have had them since April this year and everything was great. What I recognized was that the upper strut mount nuts were getting loose after some thousand miles of driving. I don't know if this is a typcial Tokico issue, but it is annoying. I have just tightened them like hell, so lets see when it happens again. Already happened 3 times since I put them on.
Also since a few weeks I have some strange clanking noise coming from the front. You can even feel the vibrations on the gas pedal whilst driving over road grooves. Checked with my mech and he suspects that the endlinks are trashed. I just ordered some new from Steeda to replace the current ones. Hope this eleminates the sound. If not... well then I have to further investigate what this might be...
Old 10/9/08, 12:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by StangRalle
What I recognized was that the upper strut mount nuts were getting loose after some thousand miles of driving. I don't know if this is a typcial Tokico issue, but it is annoying. I have just tightened them like hell, so lets see when it happens again. Already happened 3 times since I put them on.

Loctite? Mine haven't come loose in over two years.
Old 10/9/08, 12:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Definitely time for some Loctite.
Old 10/9/08, 03:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by scramblr
Loctite? Mine haven't come loose in over two years.
You got it.
Old 10/9/08, 05:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by StangRalle
Interesting thread. I have the Steeda setup with coil overs from Tokico (front/rear). I have had them since April this year and everything was great. What I recognized was that the upper strut mount nuts were getting loose after some thousand miles of driving. I don't know if this is a typcial Tokico issue, but it is annoying. I have just tightened them like hell, so lets see when it happens again. Already happened 3 times since I put them on.
Also since a few weeks I have some strange clanking noise coming from the front. You can even feel the vibrations on the gas pedal whilst driving over road grooves. Checked with my mech and he suspects that the endlinks are trashed. I just ordered some new from Steeda to replace the current ones. Hope this eleminates the sound. If not... well then I have to further investigate what this might be...
I have this noise too lately, but I have a feeling mine is in the driveline, as I can no longer hit 2nd at 6000 RPMs. 5000RPM launches probably did that. Now I gotta figure out what that is too. Ugh!
Old 10/10/08, 12:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
I have this noise too lately, but I have a feeling mine is in the driveline, as I can no longer hit 2nd at 6000 RPMs. 5000RPM launches probably did that. Now I gotta figure out what that is too. Ugh!
Oh boy... this sucks!
Old 10/10/08, 06:01 AM
Cobra R Member

What sucks is whatever it is, it hasn't broken fully, so it's hard locating the issue. I can't tell if it's the front end, motor mounts, tranny mounts, clutch, driveshaft, input shaft, or what! I'll have to try to crawl under it the next time I have some free time and figure it out. It's somewhere in the driveline, though, because when I hold the brake and let the clutch out right to where it catches, especially in reverse, I can feel and hear the problem.

I'll try pulling my DSpecs at this time too.
Old 10/10/08, 09:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

What sucks is whatever it is, it hasn't broken fully, so it's hard locating the issue. I can't tell if it's the front end, motor mounts, tranny mounts, clutch, driveshaft, input shaft, or what! I'll have to try to crawl under it the next time I have some free time and figure it out. It's somewhere in the driveline, though, because when I hold the brake and let the clutch out right to where it catches, especially in reverse, I can feel and hear the problem.

I'll try pulling my DSpecs at this time too.
Tell us about once you found what it was. I hate when stuff like this happens. You have the car on the lift and everything is tightened and no loose parts, still when you drive you have the noise.
Old 10/10/08, 01:04 PM
Cobra Member

+1
Old 10/10/08, 05:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Doesn't help that I know very little about working on cars besides installing bolt-ons (with instructions, of course) and changing oil.
Old 10/11/08, 07:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Doesn't help that I know very little about working on cars besides installing bolt-ons (with instructions, of course) and changing oil.
That makes it even more interesting. I am not so much different than you are. Pure learning by doing.
Old 10/13/08, 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
Basically to reduce understeer:
1.) Add negative Camber
2.) Reduce toe-in/add toe-out dependant on current
3.) Soften front struts/stiffen rear shocks
4.) Play with tire pressure
5.) Play with tire compounds
6.) Play with swaybars
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I may add adjustable struts/shocks to my wish list.
Old 10/19/08, 12:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Well, fixed my squeaks. I pulled the rear shocks as well as the springs. I pulled the upper spring holders and greased every surface, then popped them back in. I also greased the lowers where they meet the springs. Then I found my OEM upper shock nut assemblies and pried the bushings off. I greased them up and put them between the body and the large metal washer. I also greased the bushing that's built into the top of the stock. Put everything back together and no more squeaks! Yea!

Though, now I can hear everything else that squeaks and rattles. Next up is the plastic inserts in the door panels behind the door handle. They're rattling like crazy.
Old 10/19/08, 02:47 PM
Cobra Member

Glad to hear that.

I think I'm going to do that sometime this month/next month.
Old 10/20/08, 12:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cool. Good to hear that you could fix it.