GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Tokico D-Spec owners come in. (Wierd Noises)

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/08, 10:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tokico D-Spec owners come in. (Wierd Noises)

I've had my Tokico D-Specs for about 4-5 months. I've noticed in the past month they've gotten alot noiser. Rear more than the fronts. Hard to describe the noises but it's mainly when going over bumps. It's like a crunching sound more than anything. Almost like the strut was overly compressing into itself if that makes any sense. Anyways wanted to see if other people are having or have had this problem.

Thanks.

Update:
Went out to the car and tried the following. Put bot the struts and shocks and full loose. Popped the trunk and made the rear bounce up and down. I kept getting a for lack of a better word fart type sound from the driver side shock and no noise from the passenger side. Went full firm and no noise. Probably because I couldn't put enough weight into to make it move. Tried the same thing for the struts and the driver side was fine but the passenger side sounded like two different things were making contact.

Any ideas?

Last edited by LEO_06GT; 10/1/08 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10/1/08, 10:46 PM
whs
GT Member

First time around, one of the strut mount nuts kept backing loose. I had the Steeda Heavy Duty Strut Mounts. The noise was noticeable, eventually I had to install a new strut and nut since I couldn't get a replacement nut.
Old 10/2/08, 06:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
On a similar note, my rears are squeaking something terrible. I don't know if I missed something during installation or what, but they're terrible. I've went back and checked and I have the top nut as tight as I could get it. That said, when I first put them in, I didn't know you had to hold the middle in position, and I turned the piston an uncountable number of times, until I realized what I was doing wrong. I wonder if that could cause the issue?
Old 10/2/08, 07:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Subscribing.
Old 10/2/08, 08:06 AM
Service Manager

Received 452 Likes on 224 Posts
I've got a customers car here now(for other work) that has had the Tokicos on it for a matter of months and one of the rears is blown with oil residue all over it. He is going to contact them regarding a warranty claim.
Old 10/2/08, 12:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Leo, I've had mine on for over two years and zero problems. Sounds like that rear shock is blown.
Old 10/2/08, 09:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
For those that have added D-Specs, can they be any help removing understeer? I'd like to stay in the SCCA stock class in auto-x so I can't install a rear sway bar.
Old 10/3/08, 06:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Does anyone have an installation guide? I want to make sure I didn't screw anything up. Mine didn't have instructions and I couldn't find any write-ups online. If they're installed correctly, then they're obviously blown. I think I have a broken tranny or motor mount too. UGH!
Old 10/3/08, 06:29 AM
Bullitt Member

I notice a popping sound every once in a while in a tight turn -- but I really think that I need to tighten down the HD strut mounts. Don't hear anything in the back. Do you have remote adjusters?
Old 10/4/08, 05:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Yes I do. Mine are so bad that I can actually nudge the back end with my hip and it squeaks. There's definitely something wrong. StangSuspension said it was very odd to be squeaking/creaking though.
Old 10/4/08, 07:33 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
For those that have added D-Specs, can they be any help removing understeer? I'd like to stay in the SCCA stock class in auto-x so I can't install a rear sway bar.

Basically to reduce understeer:
1.) Add negative Camber
2.) Reduce toe-in/add toe-out dependant on current
3.) Soften front struts/stiffen rear shocks
4.) Play with tire pressure
5.) Play with tire compounds
6.) Play with swaybars
Old 10/4/08, 08:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
So what's the bottom line on the D-Specs? Are they high quality dampeners just being installed incorrectly, or are they ???
Old 10/4/08, 08:55 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by TacoBill
So what's the bottom line on the D-Specs? Are they high quality dampeners just being installed incorrectly, or are they ???

Well, the set on my customers car while we didn't install them were installed properly and one is obviously blown after only a few months...
Old 10/4/08, 01:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Eh, if blown, then sh*t happens. Happens to all the after market companies out there. It's how they handle the issue that counts.
Old 10/4/08, 02:00 PM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by scramblr
Eh, if blown, then sh*t happens. Happens to all the after market companies out there. It's how they handle the issue that counts.
Exactly....and we are about to find out how they handle this one
Old 10/4/08, 04:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Contacted Tillman Speed since that's where I got my D-Specs from. They contacting Tokico to see how to proceed with the exchange. I'll post there findings once I know.
Old 10/4/08, 05:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
I feel they're quality pieces. Mine is an installation issue. There weren't any D-Spec write-ups when I installed mine. In fact, I still don't know of any. It's weird, though, because I don't think the squeak/creak is coming from the damper itself, but where it mounts at the top. At least, that what it sounds like from the drivers seat.
Old 10/5/08, 01:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

subbed, planed to buy these @ x-mas.
Old 10/8/08, 03:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Chris @ Tillman Speed is covering my D-Specs under warranty. For those of you that didn't buy from him I recommend contacting your vendor before trying Tokico.

Thanks again to Chris @ Tillman Speed for the great customer service.
Old 10/8/08, 11:00 PM
Cobra Member

I'm also having issues. Sounds like metal rubbing against metal? There's also the pesky front popping noise. Weird part: My car should have the upgraded mounts

Quick Reply: Tokico D-Spec owners come in. (Wierd Noises)