GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

tires and suspension - questions and suggetions

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/07, 02:23 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tires and suspension - questions and suggetions

I have a 06 GT, 5 speed, OEM 17" wheels/tires. This car is not a daily driver, as I currently have a beater to get me to and from work, etc, etc...I converted over from the imports. I previously owned a 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R and then a 2002 Subaru WRX. And what I loved about those cars was their handling.

I am now ready to start taking my GT to the next level. And I'd like to be able to carve up some twistys. The car is going to be a street car. It may see the track once or twice - just to see what it can do.

I am looking to do a "total package" with my car - more horsepower, better suspension/tires, better brakes. My overall goal is to outfit the GT with a Saleen blower from JDM - I'll be sticking with either the base blower with JDM tune or their stage 1 package. I am looking to be at or around the 400-410 whp mark. I also want to throw in a suspension to increase the handling abilities - upgrade the tires for the suspension/added power - and of course upgrade the brakes accordingly.

Due to money constraints - this will all be done in stages. I want to think I am doing the smart thing by starting with the wheels and tires first - followed closely by the suspension. Then brakes and the blower last.

I've pretty much settled on the 18" deep dish bullits. 18x9 up front (with 255/45s) and the 18x10s in the rear. Here is my question - given that I desire a road car - over a track car - which rear tire size do you think I would prefer. 285/40s or 295/45s. Or is there another size that you guys think may fit my goals better?

Now I also realize that my suspension choice could also affect what tire size I am able to run. I am currently looking at the FRPP and Rousch suspensions. If I go with the FRPP - I'll buy the components seperately as I will not be able to use the strut tower brace with the blower. What are your guys thoughts on the FRPP vs Rousch in the suspension game???

Please chime in regarding my set-up - any thoughts, suggestions, ideas and/or comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 1/20/07, 05:58 PM
Cobra Member

Rex

There has been a ton written about this kind of question. On some of the pieces there are more selections than you can shake a stick at. I'll give you my broad opinion on suspension.

If you lower (and of course you get the alignment done after!):

1) get the rear LCR lowering brackets (BMR) and the upper bracket as well. You mainly need this to correct the change in rear instant center to reduce squat and improve wt. transfer. Its not just a drag race thing.

2) consider adjustable LCR and or UCA, mainy to correct pinion angle, but can be used to optimize alignment as well

3) adjustable panhard bar to correct axle shift

4) lower the front ball joints (steeda kit) to raise the roll center back up ... it drops when you lower ... you don't want it low

5) don't go for solid bushes for LCA, UPA or panhard bar

6) consider the front strut camber caster adjustment plate. If not, you might still need the camber adjusting bolts to get the camber back. With the former kit, more adjustability is possible for caster and camber.

7) if you go bigger sway bars, do both ends at the same time!

8) struts and shocks Tokio Spec D. They are adjustable. Looks like Koni may finally have a product out a well. Would have been by 1st choice based on prior experience, but they missed the starting line when the 05 came out. Same with Bilstien ... not adjustable but a great shock.

9) rear tires ... select the one that is same diameter as stock.

10) IMO the intercooled Whipple will give you more cluck for your buck.

11) brakes ... how deep are your pockets? Min is new pads and sloted rotors. The Ford kit, then on to Brembo, etc.

12) Steeda has a bump steer kit as well. Good if it is correct. Not much talk on the forum about these.

13) springs ... there are as many as opinions

Maybe I'll think up a few other items later ... I'm hungry and its almost dinner time.
Old 1/21/07, 09:37 AM
Bullitt Member

I would get wheels that clear the GT500 brembos if you intend on upgrading in the future.