GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Tire recommendations (mostly street - some track)

Search this Thread

Old 8/28/08, 09:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Stoenr
metroplex, the tripletreds wont handle all that well, wont last the 80k they are rated for, and dont have the speed rating the Mustangs require. But for a sixer or any other car, the any weather traction cannot be beat.
While the TripleTreds only carry a H-speed rating, it is unlikely anyone will drive faster than 130 MPH on the street. If you hit the 1/4 mile track, you would be trapping well below 130 MPH. If you hit a road course, then you wouldn't be using all-seasons anyhow.

Comparing the stock Pirelli P-Zero Nero, Dunlop SP Sport 5000, Kumho KH11 (summer tires), and TripleTreds, I can say the TripleTreds perform just as well as the other ultra high performance tires in terms of dry and wet traction. I wore out the SP Sport 5000 and KH11s in under 20k miles with mild 1/4 mile track use in the Crown Vic.

The TripleTreds are reported to have great treadlife (certainly longer than most summer tires) and I can attest to the low road noise and comfortable ride. The sidewalls are stiff enough in 225/60R16 that I can feel an improvement in my Crown Vic's handling. If Goodyear can clean up its quality control and manufacturing processes, I wouldn't hesitate to use the TripleTreds on my 07 GT. I don't intend to drive over 130 MPH, but if I were to do so on a closed circuit track while having to drive on the road, I'd look at the Continental ContiExtremeContacts - but that's just me. Then again, the stock Pirellis on the Stang exceed my expectations for summer use that I would just buy them as replacements.

Last edited by metroplex; 8/28/08 at 09:16 AM.
Old 8/28/08, 09:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Higher speed rated tires have extra nylon overlays, making the tire handle better. Handling will not be as good, thats all. Quality control seems to be good actually. Never had to adjust a Tripletred other than for a mileage adjustment. They must be rotated regularly to get an even wear thats for sure. Also they do ride harder and slightly noisey. is the feedback I sometimes get. But always get how much they love the traction. Im not bad wrapping the tire, especially since I sell them, but its just not a tire for a Mustang GT.
Old 8/28/08, 10:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. Can anyone give an idea of the loudness of some of these. I already have a Bassani X-pipe with hi-flow cats and will most likely get headers. Is the noise from the tires going to be louder than the exhaust set up? Or if you have a louder exhaust do you really notice the tire noise?

Also, I do not drive in snowy or wet weather in the winter, but sometimes it is "nice" out when it is below 30 degrees. Does that effect the use of some of the performance tires when used for normal street driving (no racing)?
Old 8/28/08, 12:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kluski
Also, I do not drive in snowy or wet weather in the winter, but sometimes it is "nice" out when it is below 30 degrees. Does that effect the use of some of the performance tires when used for normal street driving (no racing)?
The GY F1's are crap below like 40F. It almost feels like you're in the rain when it's dry out. That's the only reason I'm switching back to the OEM rims/tires once it gets colder out.
Old 8/28/08, 08:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The temps dropped into the 50s here the other night. We had a light drizzle and the GoodYear Eagle F1 A/S (255/45/18s) stuck nicely. My car is N/A and I have 3.55s so not an issue. I've used about 2/32 of the tire over the last 3500 miles. They'll be good for three seasons at this rate.