GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Time for a new Clutch??

Search this Thread

Old 12/11/08, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for a new Clutch??

Greets all, just found this site a bit back and have been lurking a bit. I bought my 06 Vista Blue GT a couple years ago and have been enjoying it ever since. I've only got a couple mods so far, CAI and tune, but am hoping to do more soon. I did however run into an interesting thing that I'm looking for a little insight on.

So about a month ago, I started noticing that the clutch was feeling a little weird when it was cold, yeah, got the manual tranny. It started out feeling a little like the wheels were breaking traction when starting out from a stop. I really dont think this was the case due to easing into the clutch and I'm generally not hot-on-the throttle coming out of the driveway, so I'm wondering if the clutch was slipping a little as it engaged. A little later a new quirk came in, when releasing the clutch, it doesn't feel like it's engaging smoothly, there's a little vibration or something that you can feel in your foot. Right now you can sometimes feel a little vibration in the pedal when approaching a light and depressing the clutch as you break. It goes away quickly, but never used to be there and doesn't happen all the time.

The weird thing is that this all goes away when the car warms, 5 miles down the road and it's smooth and it doesn't feel like anything is slipping. I've only got 12k on the car, but it's all city driving and there's an infinite number of lights thru my normal route. It also doesn't get very cold, maybe as low as the 40's.

So I'm wondering if I'm due for a new clutch before too much longer, I've been contemplating an after market job and a short-throw shifter as my next mod so it wouldn't break my heart. Just not sure if it's all in my head or something to have checked out.

Any ideas??
Old 12/12/08, 09:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Moving to GT tech forum for you....... And welcome to the site!