GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Throttle body issue

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/08, 09:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle body issue

Here is the long story in a nutshell: I had it powdercoated, removed the motor and TP sensor, left the blades and gears in. We took out the "set screw" on the top of the unit. When we were putting it back together, apparently powder had cured in the threads of the set screw and the torx screws for the motor. When I tightened the set screw to clean out the threads, it cracked and I found it actually is plastic with a rod and a spring to cushion the throttle returning to closed, I assume. Also, when tightening down one of the motor screws I cracked the TB housing. That being said, I substituted a regular bolt for the set screw and got the housing back together. The blades operate fine with my finger - no binding at all, but when I connect the motor, the car cannot open the blades. The TB motor clicks but is not able to open the blades at all.
Old 1/4/08, 01:30 AM
Cobra R Member

You need to start over and get a new one
Old 1/4/08, 01:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, sounds like it's new TB time. Too much duct tape and super glue...
Old 1/4/08, 02:41 AM
Cobra R Member

Fords going to want to charge you more for th replacement parts than to get one new/used
Old 1/4/08, 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Aw, that sucks. I know it's too late now, but just a word of caution for anyone else contemplating powder coating, you MUST tell the coater to tape off any areas that you don't want powder. The tape they use is actually an adheasive backed, heat resistant film. The other option for internal threads is to turn a junk screw into the hole and then remove it after the coating. If you do end up with powder in threads, the only way I'm aware of to remove it is with a tap. Because the powder is considerably thicker than paint you can't just screw a fastener back in, as you've unfortunately found out.
Old 1/4/08, 06:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Or just keep the TB stock...
Old 1/4/08, 06:51 PM
V6 Member

Perhaps an aftermarket one that uses all oem stuff?Good word on it for us sixers anyway and probably my next mod due to some tb issues i feel fairly certain.http://www.zabteck.com/07tb.htm
Old 1/4/08, 07:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Well the problem is solved. My parts guy called me today and had me pick up my new GT500 TB. Hopefully I'll get it bolted on tomorrow and take a few pics.