GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information
View Poll Results: Which Throttle Body would you buy?
BBK
7.69%
Lightning Force Performance
0%
Granatelli
92.31%
Central Coast Motorsports
0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Throttle Body Choices

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/06, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Throttle Body Choices

Anyone had experience with anyone of these throttle bodies.
Which on offers the best performance / cost / design ?
Are all throttle bodies the same.
Attached Images  
Old 8/10/06, 05:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the best priced one, that way you'll be speanding the least amount of money for a peice of eye candy. They all make the same amount of power.

I have a LFP on my car and I had it mirror polished, looks good, makes as much power as my strut tower brace.

Later Doug.
Old 8/10/06, 08:18 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug904
Get the best priced one, that way you'll be speanding the least amount of money for a peice of eye candy. They all make the same amount of power.

I have a LFP on my car and I had it mirror polished, looks good, makes as much power as my strut tower brace.

Later Doug.

Okay Doug, Mr. Granatelli said he talked with Bamachips and now is on the "same page with them". What does that mean and what about his Throttle Body.
I do like his strut tower brace.
Old 8/11/06, 03:05 AM
Cobra Member

It amazes me that no ones really finding any gains in a new TB, especially since the stock one is rough sand cast where the air flows. But from what I've read there's not alot of power to be gained with a new one.

I voted for the Granatelli though, despite all the haters on this site. Seems like they make some good stuff.
Old 8/11/06, 06:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Granatelli all the way.

I can't say anything bad or good about the others but I have the GMS one and it's a slick piece. Not only does it look 10 times better than the stock one but it adds more AIR (more air, more power) so this is a no brainer. Also, no signs of "limp home mode" that I have heard about on other T-bodies. Even the current "mustang enthusiast" has an article on adding a t-body (pg-73--stepping it up). It's opening line is "if you want to make power, air and fuel are the elements you have to consider. The key to increasing power is simply increasing these components."
Old 8/11/06, 08:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by karman

Okay Doug, Mr. Granatelli said he talked with Bamachips and now is on the "same page with them". What does that mean and what about his Throttle Body.
I do like his strut tower brace.
I've not tested neither the TB or the CAI from Granetelli so I cannot attest to anything about these products. I do have their UDP's and they made a nice noticable driving difference.

I'm going to the dyno this weekend but I'm not sure If I truly have a previous run to compare them to since I haven't been to the dyno with my car in more then 6 months, and I'm swapping gear ratio's since my last dyno. I can say that the reason I'm going is to establish a new baseline for a major " Set" of mods I plan on installing this Sunday. More to follow......

Thanks, Doug.
Old 8/11/06, 11:16 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by harleybill
I can't say anything bad or good about the others but I have the GMS one and it's a slick piece. Not only does it look 10 times better than the stock one but it adds more AIR (more air, more power) so this is a no brainer. Also, no signs of "limp home mode" that I have heard about on other T-bodies. Even the current "mustang enthusiast" has an article on adding a t-body (pg-73--stepping it up). It's opening line is "if you want to make power, air and fuel are the elements you have to consider. The key to increasing power is simply increasing these components."
LOL a fool and his money are soon......
The stock T.B. flows more air than a 4.6 intake/heads will flow, so increasing the throttle bore size does nothing but slow intake velocity. Ask yourself why the fastest 05 Mustang in the country uses a stock throttle body. As mentioned above by a very reputable tuner a larger T.B. is eye candy nothing more.
Old 8/11/06, 12:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BlackonBlack
LOL a fool and his money are soon......
The stock T.B. flows more air than a 4.6 intake/heads will flow, so increasing the throttle bore size does nothing but slow intake velocity. Ask yourself why the fastest 05 Mustang in the country uses a stock throttle body. As mentioned above by a very reputable tuner a larger T.B. is eye candy nothing more.
So can you post a link or post your own dyno results with a stock t-body and then with say the GMS t-body installed, showing that there are in fact no gains?
Old 8/11/06, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally know half a dozen guys running blowers with a stock TB, and a couple of us even have P&P heads, with larger valves, too. So, we're flowing significantly more that a stock-head N/A car. And the stock TB is working just fine, thank you very much. In fact, the TB is the one remaining piece on my entire engine that was there when I bought the car. Everything else has been changed.

Do you really think after spending many, many thousands of dollars on my car that I would have skimped on the TB if I truly thought it would make a difference? Hell, I spent almost $400 on an aluminum high-capacity Moroso oil pan, because I believe it would benefit my motor. But I certainly wouldn't spend a few hundred on an aftermarket TB.

And anyone who bases all their decisions on "dyno results" clearly doesn't see the big picture. A dyno is merely a tool for tuning... it can't accurately predict any sort of real world performance. And results can be manipulated in a lot of ways if someone just wants to show a "number".

But, then again it seems there are way too many gullible folks on this forum these days anyway, so feel free to buy the prettiest TB you can find. I'm sure your Butt-o-meter will be impressed and you'll be convinced your car is faster.

See you at the track (where the "numbers" actually mean something).
Old 9/12/06, 09:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

It looks like LFP might have dropped their 62mm TB? I couldn't find it on their website...
Old 9/12/06, 09:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been told to stick with the stock one, so I did...................I just had it polished to make it look a little more appealing. I can't tell you how many people look at it and ask what brand of throttle body it is.
Attached Thumbnails Throttle Body Choices-underhood-010.jpg   Throttle Body Choices-underhood-011.jpg  
Old 9/12/06, 10:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

a TB is just another piece in the ever changing puzzle.. (How do I get more hp out of my car?)

I'm going to get a TB in the future but it's last on my list of mods just because there is nothing wrong with the stock one.

Experience with my former turbocharged acura integra gsr has shown me that stock tb's are decent and don't often need changed, even on a turbo or supercharged car.
Old 9/12/06, 10:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

dont buy one, they all suck and dont do anything!
Old 9/13/06, 05:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Doug also dyno'd his LFP TB on my car, also made no difference, but it looks good!

I'd just have my local polisher put a spit shine on it. Cost less money and Rob's looks great!
Old 9/13/06, 09:27 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by don_w
I personally know half a dozen guys running blowers with a stock TB, and a couple of us even have P&P heads, with larger valves, too. So, we're flowing significantly more that a stock-head N/A car. And the stock TB is working just fine, thank you very much. In fact, the TB is the one remaining piece on my entire engine that was there when I bought the car. Everything else has been changed.

Do you really think after spending many, many thousands of dollars on my car that I would have skimped on the TB if I truly thought it would make a difference? Hell, I spent almost $400 on an aluminum high-capacity Moroso oil pan, because I believe it would benefit my motor. But I certainly wouldn't spend a few hundred on an aftermarket TB.

And anyone who bases all their decisions on "dyno results" clearly doesn't see the big picture. A dyno is merely a tool for tuning... it can't accurately predict any sort of real world performance. And results can be manipulated in a lot of ways if someone just wants to show a "number".

But, then again it seems there are way too many gullible folks on this forum these days anyway, so feel free to buy the prettiest TB you can find. I'm sure your Butt-o-meter will be impressed and you'll be convinced your car is faster.

See you at the track (where the "numbers" actually mean something).
Finally a voice of reason. Buy larger throttle body if you have room temperture IQ.
Old 9/13/06, 09:31 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by harleybill
Even the current "mustang enthusiast" has an article on adding a t-body (pg-73--stepping it up). It's opening line is "if you want to make power, air and fuel are the elements you have to consider. The key to increasing power is simply increasing these components."
I saw it in a magazine. It must be true. Magazines don't cater to advertiser's, do they?
Old 9/13/06, 10:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Where were all the nay-sayers when the LFP group buy was on???