GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

TCS / Makes car backfire.

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/05, 08:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When my TCS engages my car tends to backfire slightly. Has anyone else encountered this? It's much more noticeable since I've installed the Bassani x-pipe with comp cats. I guess this is due to the power being cut suddenly. Does anybody out there know what exactly is going on when the TCS engages.

Note: I like the TCS because of the fact that it has saved my but a few times but there are other times when it's just annoying as heck. :bang:
Old 7/7/05, 08:37 PM

I believe it just shuts the fuel off.
Old 7/8/05, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by srichard@July 7, 2005, 7:35 PM
When my TCS engages my car tends to backfire slightly. Has anyone else encountered this? It's much more noticeable since I've installed the Bassani x-pipe with comp cats. I guess this is due to the power being cut suddenly. Does anybody out there know what exactly is going on when the TCS engages.

Note: I like the TCS because of the fact that it has saved my but a few times but there are other times when it's just annoying as heck. :bang:
I agree with David. On those rare occasions when I forget to turn TCS off, and I spin the tires, the engine basically backs off until traction is maintained. I forgot to turn it off once for a burnout, and the car sounded like it does when you bump up against the rev limiter.... crap!!

Just out of curiosity, what did you mean when you said TCS saved your butt a few times? It's just an annoyance to me. I wish I could have it default to OFF.
Old 7/8/05, 05:06 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm not absolutely sure , but I seem to remember reading somewhere that it uses the anti-lock braking to control wheel spin ...
Old 7/8/05, 06:18 AM

There is nothing more humiliating than sitting in the water box, front tires locked up, run up the rpm's to just let out the clutch and the car nearly stall out and the tires stop spinning faster than you could step on the brakes. I know exactly what expression is on my face as well as anyone else. At first, you look at the instrument panel, as if something were wrong. You look at the oil, water, gas and look for the CEL. You take a brief look outside for signs of smoke and then glare at the TCS button and want to crawl into a little hole somewhere. You sit there in your car cursing yourself stating how dumb you were for doing that and that everyone thinks you're an idiot. What happens next......I'll show them! I'm gonna give them a burnout they won't forget! I'd like to see them come down here and do an excessive burnout like this one that is equivelant to 5 burnouts of rubber. They'll see!

Okay, anyways...I don't know if the abs thing is part of the TCS or not. I've heard a lot of speculation on it. Sounds good though.