GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

tci torque converter ... anyone have one?

Search this Thread

Old 2/22/12, 05:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tci torque converter ... anyone have one?

Looking to get one of these with a driveshaft... its the 3000 stall version... anyone have this and run a BAMA race tune as well fir a daily driving mustang?
Old 2/22/12, 05:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mptant913
Looking to get one of these with a driveshaft... its the 3000 stall version... anyone have this and run a BAMA race tune as well fir a daily driving mustang?

Got the driveshaft, American Muscule tune (Bama) but running a Precision Industries 3000 stall torque converter. Well worth the money. Do your self a favor and check out a PI torque converter.
Old 2/22/12, 08:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER

Got the driveshaft, American Muscule tune (Bama) but running a Precision Industries 3000 stall torque converter. Well worth the money. Do your self a favor and check out a PI torque converter.
Cool... are u running the race tune always?... how much faster did it accelerate ? Did you gain anymore rwhp? Lol sorry for all the questions
Old 2/23/12, 09:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Cool... are u running the race tune always?... how much faster did it accelerate ? Did you gain anymore rwhp? Lol sorry for all the questions

Yes I am running their race tune full time. I also had them tweek all of the shift points. It is very aggressive. Yes it accelerates much, much quicker. I am also running 4:10 gears. The biggest thing you notice is have much faster the engine gets into the higher rev zone. A performance TC does not really add any horsepower it just allows you to put much more to the ground on take off. The stock TC is like a 1500 rpm stall and at that rpm your engine is making say 180-200 horsepower. But a 3000 rpm stall TC will be putting maybe 250 or more horsepower because of the increased rpm. That increase in horsepower at take off makes the car launch much harder. Make sense?
Old 2/23/12, 12:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER

Yes I am running their race tune full time. I also had them tweek all of the shift points. It is very aggressive. Yes it accelerates much, much quicker. I am also running 4:10 gears. The biggest thing you notice is have much faster the engine gets into the higher rev zone. A performance TC does not really add any horsepower it just allows you to put much more to the ground on take off. The stock TC is like a 1500 rpm stall and at that rpm your engine is making say 180-200 horsepower. But a 3000 rpm stall TC will be putting maybe 250 or more horsepower because of the increased rpm. That increase in horsepower at take off makes the car launch much harder. Make sense?
Yes I get it... that's what I was getting at basically is converting more of the hp it already has in the engine to the rear wheels because of the higher stall.... and I was thinking more towards tci because I did hear good things and I have a discount at american muscle so.... any bad news about tci vs pi
Old 2/23/12, 04:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yes I get it... that's what I was getting at basically is converting more of the hp it already has in the engine to the rear wheels because of the higher stall.... and I was thinking more towards tci because I did hear good things and I have a discount at american muscle so.... any bad news about tci vs pi
I have never heard anything bad about TCI TC'ers. I know Brenspeed also sells them and uses them in there cars. I run a TCI ratch shifter and love it. I went with PI because they custom build your TC to order. Number of clutches, etc. Of course this comes at a price. About twice as much. The other thing PI will do is change your stall within 1 year at no cost if you are not happy with the first one. You will enjoy the TC. But the gears are just as big a boost as the TC. The car should have come with 4:10's as an option at least.

Here is a video I took after the TC, driveshaft and tune but still running the stock gears with 275 Nitto tires. As you can see you need to pedal your take offs. After the 4:10's went in it got worse or better depending on your point of view.
http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=smoking3.mp4

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 2/24/12 at 05:03 PM.