GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

The TCI Shifter, Now available!! Truly its out..

Search this Thread

Old 12/20/08, 02:01 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That trim ring looks really nice, but as expensive as the piece is you'd think they could throw that in with it.
Old 12/20/08, 03:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedDragon777
it will work on any 05+ automatic
Thank you... I will start the sales pitch tonight.
Old 12/20/08, 06:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2005RedGT
it is the same shifter that is in this thread, look at post #32. That is what he pulled from the box.

-Bryan
Roger on post #32. Then TCI needs to update their PDF or pull it.

I presume the "paddle" on the new one pulls back, versus pulling up on the wind-up-key piece of the old style. Tim, I'd sure like you to report on the possibility of pinching the skin of a person's palm when using this thing. I don't know if it comes all the way back to the shifter or just part way... and I'm still dying to find out if it ratchets during down shifting. Also, how does one turn off the O/D with this one; is the "button" on the right side active and used for O/D deactivation/activation?

You must be going crazy waiting for this thing.

Russ
Old 12/20/08, 06:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Doug904
You simply pull back on the lever in front of the shifter to remove it from park and it will normally go down through Reverse, Neutral, and into Drive, then from there it will ratchet down each gear from 3rd to 1st and once you are in first it will ratchet up to Drive.
I saw you edited this post on 18 Dec 08, Doug; don't know if you added the "ratchet down" part then or I just missed it in your original post and you edited something else. Either way, this is good news if that's how it works. I'm eagerly awaiting Tim's review.

Thanks.

Russ
Old 12/20/08, 08:20 PM
V6 Member

I love the look of this thing!!!! I dont know how functional its going to be, but to dress up the interior with this and some other billet accessories would be nice!!!
Old 12/20/08, 08:38 PM
V6 Member

*subscribing*
Old 12/20/08, 11:42 PM

Subscribing
Old 12/22/08, 01:22 PM
Cobra Member

Cmonnn...dying here to see it right from the package. I also agree that the chrome trim should come standard with it...
Old 12/22/08, 01:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by colbymh
Cmonnn...dying here to see it right from the package. I also agree that the chrome trim should come standard with it...
You and me both. UPS says it's out for delivery, so it should be here today!

Tim
Old 12/22/08, 07:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tdbrown75
You and me both. UPS says it's out for delivery, so it should be here today!

Tim

Well did I mention I work nights (not tonight tho), which means I am going to be awake until about 0700. Sooooo I see no excuse why I shouldn't see a reply with pics. Infact its almost 1900 here, so I am guessing they didnt arrive.
Old 12/22/08, 10:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well its late guys so I’m going to keep this short, I’ll be posting more over the next few days.

First off the quality is absolutely top notch, it’s an OEM (better actually) quality part. It has a solid feel and looks absolutely fantastic. From the real leather boot to the billet handle, this is going to grab some attention at shows. Also, the handle is removable. I’m not sure if it’s the same as the standard shift ball thread (looks like it is) so there might be other options in terms of appearance.

Upon close inspection you can see why it costs $450. This is a complex in intricate part which mixes old school ratchet style shifting with modern conveniences and style, just like our Mustangs. One of the neatest things is the OD button. After all the drama about which side of the handle it’s on, I can report to you it’s neither! See the O/D button above park, that’s not a light up indicator, it’s the O/D button itself. It’s one of those neat flush mount contact style button like the ones used on electronics. I also heard the lighting indicator is done with LEDs, but I can’t confirm that yet. The handle is just a handle; those are not buttons at all.

Now the action... Yes, it ratchets both up and down. The term “ratcheting” is a little odd cause it’s more of a push to shift type arrangement. You pull the lever down into drive, and then “tap” it up and down in gears. What do they call that style shifter, tiptronic or something like that? A slight pull (no buttons) up or down is all that required and the handle springs back into place. It does not actually change position between shifts. You can’t get into N, R, or P without pulling the lever, and you don’t need to do anything but pull up or down to shift between 1-4. I’ll get a video up here next weekend so you can see what I mean.

The installation looks like cake with one caveat. You have to attach the linkage from the underside of the car. I’m calling in some favors to see if I can get access to a lift, because it does not look like a fun job on your back under jack stands. Hopefully I can find someplace I can stand and do it this weekend, we will see.

Anyway, here is a teaser PIC. I’m thrilled I have this thing and can’t wait to get it in my car. I bet it’s going to work as well as it looks. I’d get my order into Doug now to get on the list!

Tim
Attached Thumbnails The TCI Shifter, Now available!! Truly its out..-dsc02994.jpg  

Last edited by tdbrown75; 12/22/08 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12/22/08, 11:05 PM
Bullitt Member

pretty cool . let us know how the install goes.
Old 12/22/08, 11:17 PM
Bullitt Member

cant wait to see how it works for you tdbrown75, and some install pics
Old 12/23/08, 11:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Cool ... pics .. pics and more pics please ! ..lol
Old 12/23/08, 04:22 PM
Cobra Member

Nice first impression review and cool pic. Cant wait to hear more. Curious why the TCI graphic is different from the original pic.
Old 12/23/08, 06:18 PM
V6 Member

HURRRY AND GET THIS THING INSTALLED!!!!!!!!

One quick question..... Is there an option to JUST leave the thing in drive and not worry about doing the shifting. Im assuming there is... someone help me out with that.
Old 12/23/08, 11:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

I know it's killing me too! I'm real busy getting ready for Christmas and am pretty booked up for the next few days. My earliest opportunity for installation will be Saturday, and that's assuming I can get to the shifter cable using jack stands. I'm trying to see if I can get some time on a lift somewhere so I can get good pictures.

To answer your question about drive, it is my understanding that you can just leave it there. The shifter only goes into "manual" when you ratchet to 3, 2, or 1 and even then the PCM is going to prevent you from damaging the transmission.

Tim
Old 12/24/08, 02:21 AM
V6 Member

If you lived close by me, I'd help you with the install!!!!!!!!!!

How will the PCM stop you from damaging the tranny? I know in some cars that come stock with a 'manumatic tranny' the computer will shift the car into 1st automatically if you are in another gear when u come to a complete stop; I've driven a jetta, acura tsx, and a chrysler 300, and they all did that so u couldnt destroy the tranny. but, correct me if im wrong...arent our cars "dumber", as they werent setup like this from the factory? Someone school me!!!
Old 12/24/08, 08:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks VERY much for the quick review; I'm sure you're under the gun to be going places and doing things for Christmas, so thanks for thinking of us here... really.

Thanks for the picture, too.

I have a few questions.

Originally Posted by tdbrown75

1. Also, the handle is removable.

2. It does not actually change position between shifts. You can’t get into N, R, or P without pulling the lever, and you don’t need to do anything but pull up or down to shift between 1-4. I’ll get a video up here next weekend so you can see what I mean.
1. Are you talking about the shifter handle, or the "ratchet" handle/lever? If the shifter handle, then that's great... because I'd have some serious "refinish" plans for it.

2. The shifter doesn't physically drop down to 1st or 2nd gears???????? If that's the case, I'm WAY lost. The shifter stays in "Drive" but the gear-indicator lights show you what gear you're really in?????????????

I'll sure be looking for that video.

I'm glad to hear it's a solid, well-made piece. For the money, it better be.

Lastly... honestly, I'm not nuts about the boot; for my tastes, I'd rather see a different "accordion" boot put on. Does it look like this would be possible? I see other TCI shifters that have better-looking boots and I wish they'd have gone with one of those for this one. Still... nothing "wrong" with it, I just like the accordion style, that's all.

Here's a picture of a TCI shifter that has the type of boot I like; I wish they'd have put this one on this new shifter... or at least make it an option.

Thanks again for the report, Tim. Now... go enjoy Christmas!

Russ

Last edited by Sniper308; 12/24/08 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12/24/08, 08:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Sniper308
1. Are you talking about the shifter handle, or the "ratchet" handle/lever? If the shifter handle, then that's great... because I'd have some serious "refinish" plans for it.
I'm talking about the shifter handle. It's screwed on a threaded shaft (which appears to be stainless) and uses a nut to counter tighten and lock the billet handle into place (for alignment purposes).

2. The shifter doesn't physically drop down to 1st or 2nd gears???????? If that's the case, I'm WAY lost. The shifter stays in "Drive" but the gear-indicator lights show you what gear you're really in?????????????
That's right, it does not drop into 1, 2 or 3. It drops into drive and stays there. I'm assuming the indicator will display the selected gear, which will be D by default. To shift, you push the selector forward or back to change gears. It's spring loaded so it returns to a center position after being pushed. My working theory is that the selector cable only shifts the tranny into Park, Neutral, and Drive. I think the gear selection is done electronically and works the same with the factory unit. There are a lot of wires on the connector, way more then would be needed to illuminate the gear selection panel. There's also a circuit board complete with microchips inside the unit. I'll be able to verify this once I get power to the unit and can try it out.

I'm glad to hear it's a solid, well-made piece. For the money, it better be.
I'm actually blown away by the quality. The more I look at all the detail which went into the engineering of this unit, the more I am amazed. I still plan on getting more detailed pics up prior to the install.

Lastly... honestly, I'm not nuts about the boot; for my tastes, I'd rather see a different "accordion" boot put on. Does it look like this would be possible? I see other TCI shifters that have better-looking boots and I wish they'd have gone with one of those for this one. Still... nothing "wrong" with it, I just like the accordion style, that's all.
That's not going to be possible as far as I can tell. I happen to prefer the leather, and am planning on adding a matching leather emergency parking brake boot to help carry the look.

Thanks, Tim. Now... go enjoy Christmas!
Merry Christmas Russ!

Tim

Last edited by tdbrown75; 12/24/08 at 08:30 AM.

Quick Reply: The TCI Shifter, Now available!! Truly its out..