GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Is taking off mufflers bad?

Search this Thread

Old 7/20/05, 02:23 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

What are your thoughts? I took my mufflers off this weekend to really just screw around and see what potential was there. I think I will get my drag car buddy to weld some pipe for me, so I can have pipe in place of the mufflers and then add on some nice looking tips. This way, the hangers can be used also.

I think the tone is quite amazing without mufflers and I think that with the cats and all the piping that does still exist, it will not have any effects on the motor as far as damage would go. It's very loud, but when I want to go into "stealth mode", I just go easy on the throttle. It is amazing how loud and how quiet the car can get at any desired moment. It's not too loud, like my 5.0's have been in the past with no mufflers, but it's deffinately better sounding than any 05' stang with flowmasters in my openion.

...thoughts?
Old 7/20/05, 02:25 PM
Bullitt Member

That is exactly what the SLP loudmouths are. No problems I would think, except for :cop:
Old 7/20/05, 02:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as you bolt or weld a pipe and tips on there I think you will be fine. Thats basically what SLP loudmouths are.
Old 7/20/05, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by ryan1112@July 20, 2005, 2:29 PM
As long as you bolt or weld a pipe and tips on there I think you will be fine. Thats basically what SLP loudmouths are.

I have been running this setup since late november of last year and have not had any trouble with the car or the law. I just ordered the bassani catted x-pipe today so I may have to put some mufflers back on it cause it is probably going to be too loud with comp cats on it.
Old 7/20/05, 04:21 PM
GT Member

Thanks guys. I didn't think there would be any issues from doing this on my other cars in the past. I just wanted to check up since these cars are a bit more modern with their electronics and all. Cheers!
Old 7/20/05, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by -FROG-@July 20, 2005, 4:24 PM
Thanks guys. I didn't think there would be any issues from doing this on my other cars in the past. I just wanted to check up since these cars are a bit more modern with their electronics and all. Cheers!

There was a post under a different thread a few months back that talked about the risk that your valves could "float" as a result of the pressure reduction. That did not seem to get a lot of support from other readers who had some technical responses. Still, you might want to do your own homework on that topic.
Old 7/20/05, 05:37 PM
Bullitt Member

So I've heard you took them off. My GF said you cut her off at William Cannon and Mopac. She said you thought you were trying to be hot sh.... reving your car.....
Old 7/20/05, 09:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by joshman1204@July 20, 2005, 2:32 PM
I have been running this setup since late november of last year and have not had any trouble with the car or the law. I just ordered the bassani catted x-pipe today so I may have to put some mufflers back on it cause it is probably going to be too loud with comp cats on it.
Exactly same here...

They tend to "Krackle!!" and "Brap" when cold but really sound nice and sound FREAKIN' AWESOME at WOT...(go speed racer go!)

Jay
Old 7/20/05, 11:27 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by cdemot02@July 20, 2005, 5:40 PM
.....My GF said you cut her off at William Cannon and Mopac. She said you thought you were trying to be hot sh.... reving your car.....
crap no! I know exactly when I cut her off too! I was kicking myself in the head because I NEVER do that crap! I felt so friggin terrible. Tell her I'm REALLY sorry. I was turning left off MOpac heading under the WM Cannon bridge and they reciently opened up that other turning lane and it's a little confusing in that spot. I goosed it to get around a car in front of me and heard a honk and saw a car on my hiney. I was like. "crap, where did that car come from"? Usually I watch my mirrors more than the front...... it comes natural after driving the Lambo replica around (total blind spots everywhere). But I mad a mistake and really felt bad. About the mufflers, yea, I took them off and LOVE the way it sounds!!!!! However, I am getting bad gas mileage now, but it may be because, now that I can hear the car now, I am stepping on it more and staying at more RPM's to feel the rumble. It seems to be a hair slower at times too, but maybe it's just me.... I will have to G-Tech it and see if there's a difference. To be honest, even if it's a little slower, it's still ALOT MORE FUN TO DRIVE!

pumpkinhead:
About floating the vavles..... I have heard that story from back in the days. They say that about all cars when you take the exhaust off. I'm not sure how well it holds true, but I have taken mufflers off a few cars and seems to be o.k. Heck, alot of track cars run open headers so I'm sure it's pretty common. Thanks for the info though.
Old 7/21/05, 12:35 AM
Cobra R Member

you'll be just fine running straight pipes, thats my plan when i get mine.
Old 7/21/05, 12:47 PM
GT Member

I've been chopping the mufflers off my Mustangs since my first and this is my 5th. Never any problems! I just had them chopped and replaced w/ 3 1/2 pipe and chrome tips. Sounds awesome!!!! and only cost $40 vs the $200 plus or whatever for the SLPs.
Old 7/21/05, 05:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm sure rrobello will chime in here. he has been runing straight pipes with a tip welded on, with the K&N CAI. Any car show we go to....when he starts is up...EVERYONE looks. Ferrari, Lambo, Porshe owners all come over to see. It sounds incredible. I am considering doing the same.
Old 7/21/05, 06:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Anyone have any sound clips with no mufflers?

I have heard a couple, but the quality was not that good...

And I agree that the valve float thing is a bunch of fooey. Anyone running straight pipes or cherry bombs years ago would have been floating valves all over the place.

High RPMs and weak or improper springs will float valves.
Old 7/22/05, 10:31 AM
GT Member

I would honestly recomend all 05' owners to get under the car one saturday afternoon and unbolt the mufflers for kicks. Then Sunday afternoon if you want to be average again, just bolt them stinkers back on. They are quite easy to take off and should be just as easy to replace. Thwe only hard part, is trying to contourt your hand in the tight places, but you'll figure it out. I had to use a few different types of wrenches to get to all the bolts. Cruise around for a bit and look at all the looks you will get, lol! This is great! People are freaking out over my car now. All I have done, is striped the car and lowered it with the Sportline kit and of course yank off the muffs and I am now compairing the "Shock Value" to cruising around in the Lambo replica. What a friggin blast!
The only draw back is a little banging around from the tail end of the H-Pipe when you go over big bumps in the road. I plan on going to my local muffler shop and buying some chrome tips soon and my buddy is going to make me some bolt on tailpipes, so I can use the hangars and stabalize the H-Pipe. I can't believe how good this car sounds for absolutely FREE! Now I just need top spend about $50.00 to complete the project. I wish I would have done this ALOT earlier!
Old 7/22/05, 11:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by -FROG-@July 20, 2005, 11:30 PM
crap no! I know exactly when I cut her off too! I was kicking myself in the head because I NEVER do that crap! I felt so friggin terrible. Tell her I'm REALLY sorry. I was turning left off MOpac heading under the WM Cannon bridge and they reciently opened up that other turning lane and it's a little confusing in that spot. I goosed it to get around a car in front of me and heard a honk and saw a car on my hiney. I was like. "crap, where did that car come from"? Usually I watch my mirrors more than the front...... it comes natural after driving the Lambo replica around (total blind spots everywhere). But I mad a mistake and really felt bad. About the mufflers, yea, I took them off and LOVE the way it sounds!!!!! However, I am getting bad gas mileage now, but it may be because, now that I can hear the car now, I am stepping on it more and staying at more RPM's to feel the rumble. It seems to be a hair slower at times too, but maybe it's just me.... I will have to G-Tech it and see if there's a difference. To be honest, even if it's a little slower, it's still ALOT MORE FUN TO DRIVE!

pumpkinhead:
About floating the vavles..... I have heard that story from back in the days. They say that about all cars when you take the exhaust off. I'm not sure how well it holds true, but I have taken mufflers off a few cars and seems to be o.k. Heck, alot of track cars run open headers so I'm sure it's pretty common. Thanks for the info though.
All you have to do is follow the owneres manual and disconnect the battery for a 1/2 hr or so...reconnect, bring car back up to temp, let idle at normal temp for at least 1 minute, turn on air cond for 1 minute, then drive for at least 10 miles or till you get all your power back. I had that exact same problem when I installed my SLP's
Old 7/22/05, 12:53 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by davids2toys@July 22, 2005, 11:45 AM
All you have to do is follow the owneres manual and disconnect the battery for a 1/2 hr or so...reconnect, bring car back up to temp, let idle at normal temp for at least 1 minute, turn on air cond for 1 minute, then drive for at least 10 miles or till you get all your power back. I had that exact same problem when I installed my SLP's

really? Thats great information! I wonder if thats what I had to do when I experimanted with my cone filter intake setup? The car ran bad and I just assumed it was because I needed to retune the computer.... I don't want to do all that till after my warranty goes out, but I have been putting cone filters on all my cars for years. Where and why would that be in the owners manual? I mean, what section is it under? Did they write it strictly for aftermarket exhaust or is it written for "any aftermarket product"?
Old 7/22/05, 01:42 PM
I talk to cones.

I think I might take off my mufflers and get some tips to go on until I get the Long Tubes and Off Road xpipe, which will be to loud to not have mufflers even though it would be really fun sometimes.
Old 7/22/05, 01:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
How come Mustangers and muscle car owners can get away with loud cars and cops don'r give them hard times? :scratch: My friend has a 1980 chevy truck tubbed, 350 blown V8 and he gets pulled over because the cops want to look at his truck because its coool. earlier this year I got pulled over and ticketed for having an "illegal" muffler on my Honda. But, all it turned out to be was racial profiling, and I did have a glasspack and a magnaflow tip. It was soooo stupid. RRRRRRRR :bang:
Old 7/22/05, 11:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by -FROG-@July 22, 2005, 12:56 PM
really? Thats great information! I wonder if thats what I had to do when I experimanted with my cone filter intake setup? The car ran bad and I just assumed it was because I needed to retune the computer.... I don't want to do all that till after my warranty goes out, but I have been putting cone filters on all my cars for years. Where and why would that be in the owners manual? I mean, what section is it under? Did they write it strictly for aftermarket exhaust or is it written for "any aftermarket product"?
I dont have it front of me at the moment, but it is in there, look in the back under battery...or do a search on this site for SLP it has been covered in numerous areas.
That was definately your problem with your air filters.
If you keep driving your car while it is running crappy it will fix itself in about 300 miles, doing the battery disconnect thing works in under 10 miles!!!
Old 7/23/05, 09:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Well, curiosity got the best of me and I pulled the mufflers this morning. Took about 25 minutes. It helps to have small arms and hands, although I am not sure if that is anything to brag about...

Anyway - wow is it loud and WOW does it sound good under heavy throttle going through the gears!!! I certainly got some attention as I went past the local golf course.

I put them back on - that took a little longer getting all the bracket bolt holes to line up.

It gives me an idea. Purchase some stock mufflers off of Ebay and open them up, modify the baffles (experiment) and when you find the right sound, weld the top shut and off you go.

Quick Reply: Is taking off mufflers bad?