GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11/16/07, 02:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid

Now that the temps have dropped below freezing, my 5 sp manual is not happy shifting until completely warmed up, after 20 minuites or so of driving, which makes shifting a real chore.

I cured this problem in other cars by switching to a fully synthetic manual transmission fluid. I understand the Tremec 5 sp uses automatic transmission fluid...am I correct?

Has anyone gone to a fully synthetic manual transmission fluid? If so, have you encountered any problems with the Tremec? There are several brands available, and with temps dropping to 30 below in the full winter mode, I am concerned with my transmission life.

And, no I do not store my car anymore for winter. I am too old, and may not be around in the Spring, so I intend to drive her all year, when the roads are clear.

Thanks in advance for any information or advice.
Old 11/16/07, 04:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be careful what you put in it. Factory spec is Mercon and its not synthetic, though there appear to be synthetic equivalents. Some synthetics are too slick and will interfer with the blocker ring performance. This TREMEC uses blocker rings with a composite material on the engaging (ID) surface. Some ATF fluids have additives that can degrade this material. According to TREMEC some Mercon equivalents may also have such harmful additives.

Put a heater under your car?
Old 11/17/07, 11:14 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks..that was just the information I was looking for. I guess she will have to sit in the garage on the really cold days.

We just moved back here from Dallas (lived in Denton)...this is going to be a long winter!

Cheers..
Old 11/17/07, 05:44 PM
Cobra Member

We use to live in Flower Mound, now NW of Houston.
Old 11/17/07, 07:16 PM
V6 Member

I just wanted to add,what is your opinion on Royal Purple ATF,RadBOSS? Does it contain any harmful additives?Reason i ask is because lately in the cooler weather,2nd gear in particular does'nt like it until its warmed up a bit(say,5 minutes of driving before it shifts clean).
Old 11/18/07, 06:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

FWIW...I'm running a 50/50 mix of Redline ATF and MT-90 in my 3650. I have the opposite problem as you, it gets really hot here in the summer. The factory fill and the RP Synchomax I tried later were just too thin for my tastes. The RP seemed to deteriorate over time, and it sucked in the winter. I would get second gear shift nibble all the time in the cold.

It has yet to get really cold here (compared to where you live, it never will), but so far the mix is great and I won't use anything else. If the tranny blows up because of it, I'm prepared for the consequences.
Old 11/18/07, 06:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Ive been using mobil 1 synthetic for a while now and have had no issues
Old 11/18/07, 02:10 PM
Cobra Member

I wish I could say. My advice would be to get an opinion from a TREMEC engineering tech. I had a stateside contact, but I can't find it now. The have a facility in Tennesee and Michigan. I may have something on my computer at work.

Originally Posted by Bandit1
I just wanted to add,what is your opinion on Royal Purple ATF,RadBOSS? Does it contain any harmful additives?Reason i ask is because lately in the cooler weather,2nd gear in particular does'nt like it until its warmed up a bit(say,5 minutes of driving before it shifts clean).
Old 11/18/07, 02:28 PM
Cobra Member

I went on line last night, and used the contact form at the Tremec site to ask the question about the hard shifting in the cold, and any recommendation from them on fluid use (which would not negate the warranty). As soon as they answer, I will post the response.
Old 11/19/07, 09:56 AM
GT Member

The Ford manual for my 01 GT called for Mobil 1 ATF, it had the T-3650 trans in it.
Old 11/19/07, 10:47 AM
Cobra Member

I just received a reply from Mobil, (sent them the question at the same time I e-mailed Tremec) which I will quote below. I have left off the name and phone number of the individual who repsonded.

I have not received a reply from Tremec as of this morning.

From ExxonMobil:

"If your manual transmission requires an ATF that meets the Ford Mercon
requirement, Mobil1 ATF would be an excellent choice. I utilize this
product in my 1997 Mustang Cobra in which I installed the Dodge Viper
6-speed transmission and it shifts smooth as silk.

Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.
If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil"
Old 11/19/07, 01:57 PM
GT Member

Mobil 1 I'll be switching to it after 6k miles on the car...

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I just received a reply from Mobil, (sent them the question at the same time I e-mailed Tremec) which I will quote below. I have left off the name and phone number of the individual who repsonded.

I have not received a reply from Tremec as of this morning.

From ExxonMobil:

"If your manual transmission requires an ATF that meets the Ford Mercon
requirement, Mobil1 ATF would be an excellent choice. I utilize this
product in my 1997 Mustang Cobra in which I installed the Dodge Viper
6-speed transmission and it shifts smooth as silk.

Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.
If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil"
Old 11/20/07, 06:50 AM

I use Royal Purple Synchromax Manual Transmission Fluid. I changed over at 3k on the car. The car shifts alot smoother. I love the stuff!
Old 11/20/07, 10:26 AM

Great thread
What about Ford changing specs in 07-08? My manual states to use Mercon ATF fluid, which is not synthetic AFAIK, however, my bro just got an 08 and just for curiosity I cross checked the manual and his did call for Mercon V ATF in manual tranny? Can anyone care to comment on this? FWIW his shift a lot smoother than mine did stock and is generally nicer feeling, although shifts are long compared to my Saleen Shifter adapter. i am currently using RP Synchromax and that stuff is sure slick as hell, but it does shifting more "buttery" in warm weather and no balkiness when cold (well <60F, it doesn't get much colder than 50 here ) and gear whine went down as well as the ^$#&^* gear rattle when in low speed manueouvers in 2nd in parking lots.
Old 11/20/07, 01:25 PM
Cobra Member

Old news, but interesting articles.

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_artic....cfm?x=b11,0,w

http://www.atra.com/consumers/bulletins/cb-110.pdf
Old 11/21/07, 12:40 PM
Cobra Member

Just wanted to let everyone know TREMEC has still not replied to my request for info...
Old 11/21/07, 02:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
Just wanted to let everyone know TREMEC has still not replied to my request for info...
Its best to call (USA) and tell them you have a technical query regarding the mustang transmissions. Thats how I got thru a couple years ago.
Old 11/22/07, 04:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 50bomber
Great thread
What about Ford changing specs in 07-08? My manual states to use Mercon ATF fluid, which is not synthetic AFAIK, however, my bro just got an 08 and just for curiosity I cross checked the manual and his did call for Mercon V ATF in manual tranny? Can anyone care to comment on this? FWIW his shift a lot smoother than mine did stock and is generally nicer feeling, although shifts are long compared to my Saleen Shifter adapter. i am currently using RP Synchromax and that stuff is sure slick as hell, but it does shifting more "buttery" in warm weather and no balkiness when cold (well <60F, it doesn't get much colder than 50 here ) and gear whine went down as well as the ^$#&^* gear rattle when in low speed manueouvers in 2nd in parking lots.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! You're right. I checked the 2008 Mustang owner's manual and it calls for Mercon-V for the V6 and GT manual transmissions. I have more than 12 quarts of Mercon-V lying around and instead I used Redline High-Temp ATF because Tremec/Ford said not to use Mercon-V in the 3650. However, my 3650 is now shifting like butter with the Synthetic Redline so I don't really have any complaints.
Old 11/22/07, 06:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'll repeat - Redline is awesome stuff!
Old 11/22/07, 12:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if the change from Mercon to Mercon V has anything to do with the revised shifter feel in the late 07's-08's people are talking about? Same tranny, different fluid?

Quick Reply: Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid