GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Suspension upgrade complete

Search this Thread

Old 9/21/07, 07:13 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension upgrade complete

Just upgraded the suspension on my 07 GT/CS vert with Steeda Bump steer kit / ball joints as well as upper and lower rear trailing / control arm upgrade. So far, things are nice and tight! New England roads are real rough, the bumpsteer is pretty much gone. Taking her for a long ride tommorow. We'll see how that goes.
Old 9/21/07, 07:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
what made you add these parts?
Old 9/21/07, 07:51 PM
V6 Member

I wasn't happy with the way the car was handling bumps. We have plenty of them up here. I'd go over them and it would shimmy from side to side. I didn't want to lower it (the CS is lowered already on the front end) and I am happy with the shocks. I just wanted to get rid of that shimmy(bump steer).
Old 9/21/07, 10:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have to change the ***** joints also? I went to the Steeda website and found the bump steer kit and then checked out the X5 ball joints. It says they reccomend the ball joints for lowered cars. It also says you need 18" wheels.

I hate the shimmy/bouncy crap over bumps too, especially when turning. I want to do this mod bad. Thanks for posting this!
Old 9/21/07, 10:10 PM
V6 Member

Get an upgraded panhard rod, that'll solve a lot of the problems.

~Mike~
Old 9/22/07, 06:49 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Jimp
Do you have to change the ***** joints also? I went to the Steeda website and found the bump steer kit and then checked out the X5 ball joints. It says they reccomend the ball joints for lowered cars. It also says you need 18" wheels.

I hate the shimmy/bouncy crap over bumps too, especially when turning. I want to do this mod bad. Thanks for posting this!
The GT/CS is lowered on the front end so that's why I had to get the ball joints. The GT/CS ships with 18" wheels so it met that spec as well. I worked with Steve Kish over at Steeda and he set me up with everything I needed for this project. Worked out great.
Old 9/22/07, 09:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pouterson
The GT/CS is lowered on the front end so that's why I had to get the ball joints. The GT/CS ships with 18" wheels so it met that spec as well. I worked with Steve Kish over at Steeda and he set me up with everything I needed for this project. Worked out great.
Ok, thanks for the info! My car isn't lowered so i guess all I need is the bump steer kit. I am definitely going to do this!
Old 9/22/07, 09:26 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Jimp
Ok, thanks for the info! My car isn't lowered so i guess all I need is the bump steer kit. I am definitely going to do this!
Give Steve a call at Steeda to be sure you have everything. He'll make sure you have the right parts.
Old 9/23/07, 12:32 PM
V6 Member

Just upgraded the suspension on my 07 GT/CS vert with Steeda Bump steer kit / ball joints as well as upper and lower rear trailing / control arm upgrade. So far, things are nice and tight! New England roads are real rough, the bumpsteer is pretty much gone. Taking her for a long ride tommorow. We'll see how that goes.
Took her out for a run yesterday and it's like driving a different car. No more bumpsteer and it feels as if I'm getting better torque as well. At least, it stays on the road better than before. I highly recommend this upgrade!
Old 9/23/07, 05:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Took her out for a run yesterday and it's like driving a different car. No more bumpsteer and it feels as if I'm getting better torque as well. At least, it stays on the road better than before. I highly recommend this upgrade!
Good mods! I installed the Steeda bumpsteer kit last week! well Worth the few bucks it costs and a very easy install!........
Old 9/24/07, 02:19 PM
Cobra Member

Good mods! I installed the Steeda bumpsteer kit last week! well Worth the few bucks it costs and a very easy install!........
Thanks for the business and the feedback. We appreciate it!

Gus
Old 9/24/07, 07:50 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Thanks for the business and the feedback. We appreciate it!

Gus
Make sure you thank Steve for me. I appreciate the help.
Old 9/25/07, 11:13 AM
Bullitt Member

No. GT/CS is not lowered in front. The front spoiler goes just 1½" lower that Std GT. Same ride height and same suspension geometry. I never noticed bumpsteer with stock height, so if you're saying steeda bumpsteer & balljoints are "correcting bumpsteer" with stock springs/shocks, Ford has geometrical design flaw with GT suspension. Even Ford makes no mistakes like that. I suggest lowering your car a little to make your geometry properly aligned again.
Old 9/25/07, 11:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Did you find a rear sway bar that fits the convertible?
Old 9/25/07, 12:04 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mvon919
No. GT/CS is not lowered in front. The front spoiler goes just 1½" lower that Std GT. Same ride height and same suspension geometry. I never noticed bumpsteer with stock height, so if you're saying steeda bumpsteer & balljoints are "correcting bumpsteer" with stock springs/shocks, Ford has geometrical design flaw with GT suspension. Even Ford makes no mistakes like that. I suggest lowering your car a little to make your geometry properly aligned again.
I'll admit that I'm not a mechanic. All that I know is that by adding the the bumpsteer kit to the front end and adding the control arm upgrade to the rear, the "shimmy" that I felt on the front end when the car goes over bumps or expansion beams on bridges has disappeared. The car is staying on the road. I'm also noticing greater traction as well.

I have a question for you, if I put on a lowering kit for that car, will the effectively lower my spoiler further? I don't know if I want that spoiler any lower. Thanks for your help here.
Old 9/25/07, 08:24 PM
V6 Member

Steeda markets a rear sway bar that they advertise as working on a Vert.
555-1052 - Steeda Rear Swaybar w/ End Links '05-'08, "Owners of convertibles will need to use the swaybar kit with endlinks, part # 555-1052."