GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Suspension Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11/20/09, 03:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension Help!

Several months ago I finally upgraded the suspension on my GT with the following parts:

H&R Supersport Springs
Tokico D-Spec Shocks
Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
J&M Adj Panhard Bar
J&M LCAs
Steeda LCA Relocation Brackets

About a week after the install, I started to hear a "clunk" coming from the right front when going over bumps. I kinda freaked out that the CC Plates may have shifted, so I brought it back to the alignment shop, and they said it was spot on. Hadn't moved at all. Then I started thinking that maybe it was because I had my shocks on the softest setting. So just for testing whether the noise went away, I dialed in the shocks to 7-turns in (Full Firm). This seemed to quiet it down a little but I was still getting the same noise, but only from the right front again.

I'm going to try to dig into it this weekend and see if I can figure out what's causing that noise. I love the new suspension, and the ride quality is near stock (when set at soft), but this noise is driving me NUTS!

Do you guys have any ideas where to start looking????

Thanks!
-Tommy
Old 11/20/09, 03:58 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Seems like most guys change out the upper strut mounts (like steeda) when they change struts due to 'popping' from the stockers.

Then another guy that brought this up a few months back had failed to tighten up something??
Old 11/20/09, 05:05 PM
GT Member

I'm having the same problem that your having. I have it narrowed down to the right side bearing plate on my Maximum Motorsport CC plates. I ordered a new one from MM this week to warranty it out. I just have to send the right side bearing plate back so they could credit my card back.
Old 11/20/09, 05:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Seems like most guys change out the upper strut mounts (like steeda) when they change struts due to 'popping' from the stockers.

Then another guy that brought this up a few months back had failed to tighten up something??
The MM CC Plates replace the upper strut mount - so its not that. I'm going to verify everything is tightened up properly this weekend, but I'm kinda sure it is since NOTHING has changed on my alignment. I would think if something was loose or moving it would knock the wheel out of alignment.

Originally Posted by IHVOCD
I'm having the same problem that your having. I have it narrowed down to the right side bearing plate on my Maximum Motorsport CC plates. I ordered a new one from MM this week to warranty it out. I just have to send the right side bearing plate back so they could credit my card back.
OOOOOO Let me know if that solves it for you!! I'm going to check and see that everything else looks okay tomorrow. I really don't want to have to take it out again, but if I can't fix the problem, maybe its the same issue you're having.
Old 11/20/09, 05:19 PM
Bullitt Member

After installing shocks/struts I was experiencing clunking as well. I had the upper strut mounts replaced and had everything tightened down. That got rid of the clunking. I didn't tq down the bolts, so they were sung but not tight. I would replace the strut mounts and make sure everything is tightened.
Old 11/20/09, 05:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

You didn't say anything about changing your swaybars. Maybe front swaybar has come loose on that side.
Old 11/20/09, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by gmantheman
After installing shocks/struts I was experiencing clunking as well. I had the upper strut mounts replaced and had everything tightened down. That got rid of the clunking. I didn't tq down the bolts, so they were sung but not tight. I would replace the strut mounts and make sure everything is tightened.
The MM CC Plates replace the upper strut mount - so its not that.
Old 11/20/09, 07:10 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Tsbird1994
The MM CC Plates replace the upper strut mount - so its not that. I'm going to verify everything is tightened up properly this weekend, but I'm kinda sure it is since NOTHING has changed on my alignment. I would think if something was loose or moving it would knock the wheel out of alignment.

OOOOOO Let me know if that solves it for you!! I'm going to check and see that everything else looks okay tomorrow. I really don't want to have to take it out again, but if I can't fix the problem, maybe its the same issue you're having.
Take a look at the spherical bearing on the right side. See if you can see you the teflon lining coming out of the bearing itself. Because thats what mine is doing. Let me know.
Old 11/20/09, 07:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
You didn't say anything about changing your swaybars. Maybe front swaybar has come loose on that side.
I didn't change swaybars, but I'm going to go back and re-tighten/check everything tomorrow. I'm just trying to get an idea of what issues some guys have seen so I know some problem areas to go for first!
Old 11/21/09, 12:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tsbird1994
The MM CC Plates replace the upper strut mount - so its not that.
I didn't see that. I would double check and make sure everything is tight.
Old 11/21/09, 07:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Check the upper strut mount like they say. I had that issue too, even though I initially torqued it properly, they loosened up. Then I used Locktite and not a problem since.

You might also want to check the bolts on the swaybar endlinks. mine loosened up over the course of a year and it started clunking as well.
Old 11/21/09, 11:15 AM
V6 Member

To echo a couple of earlier posts...

Here's my recent experience.:

https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=477864
Old 11/21/09, 11:39 AM
Cobra Member

Had a clunk develop on the roadcourse a while back, it was the R side sway bar endlink loose on the strut, they're hard to torque properly, need a 8mm open end to hold it while you use the 18 or 19mm wrench to turn the large nut. Also check the swaybar mount below, it can be loose as well.
Old 11/22/09, 06:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Ahhhhhh BIG THANKS to everyone who replied!!!!

The noise is GONE!!!!!!!!!!!! Turns out it was the sway bar end-link bolt on the shock. It was tight as hell and still clunking, but with a breaker bar I was able to turn it about 1/8" of a turn more, and ... NOISE GONE!!

Just goes to show you gotta tighten the ever-living-hell outta that thing!

Thanks again!!
-Tommy
Old 11/22/09, 07:13 PM
V6 Member

Glad to hear you found the problem. It's like music to your ears!
Old 11/22/09, 07:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stang7300
Glad to hear you found the problem. It's like music to your ears!

haha or lack thereof! -- now the ONLY sound I get to hear is my loud exhaust!
Old 11/22/09, 11:26 PM

Glad you found it. Mine did same after FRPP install. Found swaybar bolt backed off first. However, upper strut mounts did go shortly thereafter. The popping got 10x worse than just the swaybar one. If it comes back with a vengeance and does it incredibly loud only when turning and sometimes over larger bumps, that should fix you. Went with Steeda's and couldn't be happier! The car feels a whole lot tighter. Two Thumbs up for them.

Last edited by mizzou_guy21; 11/22/09 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11/23/09, 06:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Glad I could help!
Old 11/23/09, 06:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Glad I could help!
You da' man!
Old 11/23/09, 06:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Invest in a torque wrench?

Quick Reply: Suspension Help!