GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Supercharger?...........Again

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/13, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger?...........Again

Soooooooooooo, for probably the gazzillionth time another supercharger question. I have done a search and read most most of the threads but I still have a few qustions. I'm looking to get the 05GT into the 350RWHP range, it will be my DD and I'm not looking to track it but after driving the Boss around I can see the GT runs out of legs pretty fast. I think I've settled on the 400HP FRPP whipple though the Edelbrock is also a consideration.

1. I get the whole intercooled, non-intercooled thing and don't plan to go for big HP but do you think the non-intercooled whipple will be fine on the engine in this HP range and a daily driver?

2. One concern about the Edelbrock I've read is weight and I don't want to create understeer. I'm really looking to improve the handling with a little more of a big block feel so.....

3. Suspension upgrades? I've currently got the Steeda "stop the hop" pack but I want to make sure the suspension can handle the increased power. Steeda has several suspesion upgrade packs as does FRPP (and others as well I'm sure but those are the two I've looked at).

4. Wheels/Tires? I've still got the stock 17 inch rims that came with the car and will probably go to an 18 but what size wheel/tire combo are you guys with blowers runnning?

5. Gears? I'm running 4:10's now but am concerned they may be a bit steep for the blower. Considering the HP range Im trying to get to should I go back to the 3:55's or maybe 3:73's?
Old 3/14/13, 08:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Paxton, procharger or vortech will be best for daily driven car, with 410s and your horsepower goals, plus the ones you mention weight a ton
Old 3/15/13, 12:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you go with a centrifugal blower, most will say keep the 4.10s for off the line. Careful though as you will break them loose once your boost catches up. If you go with a Displacement blower like the Whipple or Edelbrock, I would put the 3.55s back on. Especially with your stock tires. Even then be mindful about going near WOT in 1st and second. Rear end gets a little happy. No clutch dump necessary. If you desire the big block feel, you need a PD blower. There is a small change in the steering which I notice due to the additional mass. Someone not familiar with the car before the blower would not notice. I have had no handling issues but then I don't take it to the edge much. Little more travel on speed bumps. I am more concerned about the back end if I get to aggressive on the throttle in a corner.

The no intercooler whipple kit is 400 HP & Torque at the crank twinscrew at 5 psi with a 93 Octane tune. The e-force is an intercooled TVS kit at 466 HP and 439 crank torque on 5 to 7.5 lbs of boost and a 91 Octane tune. I was considering putting the Automatic transmission whipple on my manual but I have CARB to deal with. I needed a kit installed and used as issued to not have any testing issues.

I told a friend I did an engine mod to my car then opened the hood and asked him to find it. Were it not for the Edelbrock logos on the blower, he would have missed it. It does have an OEM appearance to it.
Attached Thumbnails Supercharger?...........Again-eforce.jpg  

Last edited by Cusp; 4/1/13 at 02:23 PM.
Old 3/15/13, 02:25 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
First of all: Where do you live? 80-100 degree weather most of the year would make me go Intercooled.
The whipple kit is a great blower but when you hit the pedal it's boosting. There's really no in between. It's either just a GT or an animal. Centrifugal will be a little more controllable especially on launches.
The 05 GT has a great suspension for traction. Set of 305's out back on a decent rubber compound will be fine.

If going twin screw, I would chose whipple or TVS. Simply because I've seen those last forever with little to no maintenance. Kenne Bell I have seen break shafts on more than one occasion but they make better power.

Centrifugal I would only go Vortech. Makes less power than Paxton but the units last much longer. Procharger is the less efficient (less power) of the 3. When choosing a blower always look at scfm at whatever RPM. Don't worry about boost pressure. More scfm at lower boost pressure is the way to go. I'm running a whipple 2.3L at 20psi. I should be running a 2.9L at about 15psi and making more hp at safer boost pressure but I'm cheap. Lol

Last edited by AlsCobra; 3/15/13 at 02:26 PM.
Old 3/15/13, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Op have you completely ruled out a turbo setup?

Earl
Old 3/15/13, 09:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the best daily driver is the PD blower. Like a Gt500 blower with its 100k service interval, low initial price, cool running, and reliable 450rwhp.
Old 3/15/13, 09:51 PM
GT Member

I went with the advertised 475rwhp intercooled Whipple for automatic. The same kit for manual is advertised at 550rwhp (BOTH for bone stock engines). I was able to get a multi-run best of 510 at the wheel, but I have 3.73, headers, and straight-pipe exhaust with a 91 octane tune. That's just fine for me because anything higher and I run the risk of damaging the stock internals.

I went with the polished Whipple vice the non-polished. I also got an auto trans cooler, 4 new FRPP slotted rotors and Bremo pads. Total cost of the kit plus install and other items was just right at $10,000. It may seem like a lot, but you'll never regret it.

Name:  SAM_03762.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  474.6 KB

Last edited by GT/CS Guy; 3/15/13 at 09:55 PM.
Old 3/16/13, 05:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I first had the Kenne Bell 2.6L installed, I had 4.10s. IMO they are too low for a twin screw sc. After changing to 3.73s, the car is much more manageable in 1st & 2nd gear when you mash the pedal.