GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 11/10/05, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking to buy a supercharger for my 05 gt.
current mods are: JBA shorty headers, WMS intake, Diablo tune, CCM 60mm TB.

Where do I get it from for the best deal?

My question is this.
Which supercharger is the most Effective?

Which superchager is the cheapest?

Which Supercharger is the best overall in every field?

What kinda numbers am I looking at? and What kinda times?

Also I hear whipple is great and so is Vortech. Lemme know thanks!

the 05 GT supercharged and some mods wil run great next to the new shelby coming out right?
Old 11/11/05, 07:46 AM

bump??? Cmon theres like 15+ guys on here with superchargers... I'm tempted to buy nitrous. but would rather have the blower first to help prolong the engine
Old 11/11/05, 08:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Your first question should be, what type of supercharger do I want?
Are you going to race the car, or do you just want a fast car from stop light to stop light?
You'll get more answers if you specify what you intend to do with your car.

hags1
Old 11/11/05, 08:25 AM
Cobra Member

Vortech kits are very nice and have very good reliability.A centrifugal unit that builds power as you increase your RPM's..Big pull in the mid and upper RPM range.Great for a daily driven car IMO.A twin screw blower (like the saleen) has boost pressure at low rpm's for instant boost under most driving conditions and appeals to some people more than the CF unit.it is your call and you need to decide what you are looking to accomplish.i have the vortech kit and am extremely pleased with it!..I wouldn't hold your breath for the whipple unit anytime soon, if ever...
Old 11/11/05, 08:32 AM
MSP
Banned

Go with a 10 Sec Turbo! You lucky I got here to save you! LOL!!

http://www.powerhouse411.com/

Call Mike on the phone, and ask him questions about it.. There is also another guy around here who has ordered one already.. Perhaps you guys can network together..

http://www.powerhouse411.com/products/must...005_turbo_1.php

Good Luck!
Old 11/11/05, 08:40 AM
Bullitt Member

I'll Go first....

I am going to place an order for a Saleen SC today. I have researched all of the avaliable options and I like this one for these reasons:

1) It is a twin screw design that gives instant torque. This can be felt and enjoyed more often ( ie can be felt at less that full throttle ) without having to shatter the speed limit and risk tickets....

2) It fits neatly under the stock hood and has a factory look to the install.

3) Saleen uses this SC on one of the their models up to 400hp with no internal modifications to the engine. The point is, that they have to provide a 36/36 warranty with this SC and a stock short block. I suspect that they are confident that the engine will not go boom....

4) I think the low PSI boost and low speed bypass will make the engine more reliable over time. My car is an auto and I do not think it will handle much over 400hp due to the small input shaft.

5) It meets all 50 states EPA regulations. ( Not all SC's do.... ) Atlanta is nearly as tough on emissions as California.

6) I like the desing on the SC. Saleen did a little outside of the box thinking by flipping the unit upside down and building it into the intake.

7) If I decide to put forged internals in the engine, I can change the pully and get over 500hp ( same as their extream model ) Although a trans swap would also be a necessassity....

The bad news is that the Saleen unit is one of, if not the most, expensive on the market. You can do it your self with the stock Saleen tune for about 5K. However, if you want to have a shop do the install, you are looking at between 6k-7K...

I found the non intercooled Vortex to be the least expensive unit, but I would not put a non-intercooled unit on my car...

Nitros is the lease expensive way to make the same or more hp. It is great for track use, but is a little less practicle for every day street use.
Old 11/11/05, 11:39 AM
V6 Member

i have a saleen supercharger and am very pleased with it. it dyno in at 362hp and 365tq at the wheeels. great power all around it doesn't roast the tires down in low rpm's but has great pull.
it is quiet if you like that.
clean look.
install was about 10 hours and very very easy great instructions and lots of pictures.
(all with basic hand tool although many were metric. I still can't figure american car non-american sizes).

anway great product
Old 11/11/05, 12:40 PM
Cobra Member

What about the Whipple that Brad said will be available next spring from FORD and it won't void warranty. How will that be. I'm supercharger dumb. Help me out.
Old 11/11/05, 01:00 PM
Bullitt Member

The Saleen kit is very nice. That said, I'm interested in the Roushcharger kit at the moment. It looks very OEM-like, similar to the Saleen, but more so. Here is a link to their SEMA press release:

http://www.roushperf.com/news.cgi?type=rel_story&sid=69

I hope it's ok to post it here. Does anyone have any other pics or info on this kit?
Old 11/11/05, 01:07 PM
Cobra Member

The roush kit is a Magnuson/Eaton blower and assembled by roush.Looks like a nice kit and like all the eaton stuff, should be very reliable.

I will comment further on the whipple stuff, but like I said before: DO NOT hold your breath on the whipple kit.Ford is looking elsewhere.
Old 11/11/05, 01:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Kenne-Bell is coming out soon and will be most like the Saleen, little more expensive. I'm waiting for it and will decide b/t those two.
Old 11/11/05, 02:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by MSP@November 11, 2005, 8:35 AM
Go with a 10 Sec Turbo! You lucky I got here to save you! LOL!!

http://www.powerhouse411.com/

Call Mike on the phone, and ask him questions about it.. There is also another guy around here who has ordered one already.. Perhaps you guys can network together..

http://www.powerhouse411.com/products/must...005_turbo_1.php

Good Luck!
This kit looks more promising and is more efficient. I hope that we can see more results on this turbo setup and how much its going to cost. Keep us posted!!!
Old 12/20/05, 09:20 PM

Superchargers work differently from each other, when comparing between twin screws and centrifugal chargers.

Centrifugal - they have power gains at higher RPM's (as someone already mentioned)

Twin Screw - More Torque for more fun. Dont forget, however, that they are about 30% less efficient than centrifugal chargers. What does this mean? That means that the twin screw will create more heat and needs 30% more air to get the same amount of air in the engine.
Old 12/21/05, 06:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Actually, the twin screw is MORE efficient than the centrifugals not less...

The more efficient a SC is, the less PSI is required to get the same boost in hp... ( usually due to less heat being added to air )

The torque story is completely different between the two types of SC.
Old 12/21/05, 08:51 AM

I'll be going Turbo. Turbo's can offer more power and be more efficient than SC's. The downfall is low end power and typically cost. Fortunately, for the 05's, you can go either route for basicly the same price. What I like about a turbo is that you aren't always in boost when driving around town and you don't have that blender sound at idle. Some people like that....I don't. I like the sleeper approach. The Powerhouse kit is put together nicely. Besides the intercooler, you have to be looking down into the engine bay to see any of the turbo components. I did see it run into the 10's and their V6 into the 11's. Can't go wrong with that!

P.S. I know this is a Supercharger thread and there have been plenty of Turbo/SC debates. I'm not instigating a debate. I'm just voicing my opinion to someone who is looking into options!
Old 12/21/05, 01:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I love my Saleen blower - the power is amazing.
Old 12/21/05, 01:36 PM
Bullitt Member

P.S. I know this is a Supercharger thread and there have been plenty of Turbo/SC debates. I'm not instigating a debate. I'm just voicing my opinion to someone who is looking into options!
No problem,

An honest discussion is the reason for these fourms....

The turbos do make a lot of sense for some applications and driver likes and dislikes. I personally want the instant torque of the SC application ( Gives the car that old big block muscle car grunt at the bottom end.. )

However, you point about the turbo not being on boost and lower rpm is well made... Although the Saleen does have a low speed bypass and makes little if any boost at low rpm ( not sure if it applies to normal driving or not )

It is great to have so many options...