GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 9/16/05, 03:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heres a thread of a person installing a kenne bell supercharger on his 05. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showt...127#post2671127

They guy said he heard no whine : ), to me thats a majer plus.
Old 9/16/05, 06:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by gt5000@September 16, 2005, 3:35 PM
Yea it was a good read but can someone sum it all up what did they think was better? Which one was better for everyday drivabilty or racing? I dont know alot about superchargers so thats why im asking.

I am sure i will get bashed again for my turbo loving but richard from MM&FF who wrote the article also agreed the turbo made the best results followed by the twinscrew (most power across the whole range compaired to other superchargers), the centrifical blowers make better peek hp then the twin scres but lack on th low end. I would get a twin screw for street use if you dont want the advantage of a twin turbo
Old 9/16/05, 10:04 PM
Cobra Member

Coming from a turbo company myself I understand your logic and generally agree with it.A properly done twin turbo system is ideal and working for Gale Banks I know a little about this area =)..Twin screw sc's are good for the low end grunt,but tend to lose it in the upper ranges,which is why I personally think they are generally better suited for truck applications where inital torque is critical and not as critical once you are out of the hole.But to each is own on this subject.I personally like the CF units because they are more "turbo" like and coupled with a properly selected gear ratio, you get the best of both worlds..Great torque/accel down low and still retain all your fun once the boost kicks in through the RPM range. Just my 2 cents worth though
Old 9/16/05, 10:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Good point everything leads back to me wanting a vortech supercharger V2 with an intercooler.
Old 10/6/05, 11:18 AM
Cobra R Member

Which type of system generally gets better gas mileage?
Old 10/6/05, 12:03 PM
Cobra Member

A CF unit!
Old 11/23/05, 01:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not really true from what I've read. If you stay out of the pedal you won't have to burn any more gas with a twin screw than if you were running N/A.
Old 11/25/05, 06:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Well, this discussion is all over the map. I still have a few questions:

I like the idea of the vortex/paxton...no real boost till you want it (hard throttle use), but don't want the ice bit....how much does not having it cause you a problem.

The roots blower is nice, but I really don't think I will need the power 24/7. gas milage is kind of nice.

If shelby, saleen, roush are using a roots type, should we not follow suit. Maybe they know a little bit about what is best for the 4.6L

Will Ford offer a S/C for us with out voiding our warranty?
Old 11/26/05, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by don_w@September 15, 2005, 5:47 PM
And also think about what kind of cars are factory TCed, and which ones are factory SCed. I got a V8, not a 4-cyl or 6-cyl sportcompact car... a supercharger is the only way to go for me.

I have no problem with you having a preference for turbos, but most of us don't share that preference. No matter how often you chime in on the "virtues" of turbos, it won't change my mind. I'd rather be blown...

Besides, I don't like the way a TC sounds... just my 2 cents.
You forgot to mention what kind of TRUCKS are factory turbocharged.

Powestroke, Cummins, Duramax ring a bell? All of them are V8s that are turbocharged from the factory. You'd rather be blown and you won't change your mind, though.
Old 11/26/05, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mikev@November 25, 2005, 11:38 PM
You forgot to mention what kind of TRUCKS are factory turbocharged.

Powestroke, Cummins, Duramax ring a bell? All of them are V8s that are turbocharged from the factory. You'd rather be blown and you won't change your mind, though.
Very true...

But I'm not driving a diesel truck either. I have a Mustang.
Old 11/26/05, 09:11 PM

I've been researching this to death since I've gotten my 05 GT. My first choice is a twin screw. A twinscrew has a 90% efficiency versus a 70% efficiency for a centrifugal.

The biggest problem is that people think they can bolt on a blower and plug in a canned tune and their car will run perfectly with no dyno time with an experienced tuner.

Also if you follow the forums the area where most of these cars suffer is in the air/fuel management department. There are many cars out there with prochargers which get dangerously lean at high rpm's due to the fuel pumps not being able to supply enough fuel. They also run out of voltage in the MAF which is no better.

If you want an interesting read you can check out the Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump technical paper HERE.

The long and short of it you're trying to maintain a 39psi fuel pressure differential at all times. That is the only way to get accurate fuel flow because all fuel calculations are based on fuel being delivered at a fixed pressure differential. The variable in the equation is that the manifold pressure keeps changing.

Kenne Bell has a lot of experience with supercharging mustangs yet they didn't jump out there to make a quick buck. They're taking their time to complete their R&D work before releasing their kit for sale. For this they get my vote.

The saleen blower is also interesting due to its blowing the air upwards enabling the length of the intake runners to remain long. I've seen a couple of these running locally and their power output didn't impress me at all.

I've seen the JDM Motorsports modified Saleen equipped car at the Fun Ford Weekend this summer and it was impressive. They were running 9psi with their own pulleys,MAF,throttlebody,fuel system upgrades, and custom SCT tune. This is a car which was put together by a shop with a lot of S/C and custom tuning experience.

There is a local guy in my area with a Kenne Bell equipped Lightning pickup tuned by JDM Engineering. I've seen this truck run quite a few times and it runs flawlessly. Even though JDM Engineering is 400 miles from my home they will be getting my tuning business next year when i go blown.

To sum it all up there's a setup for everyone out there. The bottom line is to get it on a dyno and have the A/F ratio checked out to make sure it doesn't lean out.

I won't even get into the whole forged internals debate.
Old 11/26/05, 09:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

What do yall suppose the upper limits of the Saleen kit are? I've been thinking about the Saleen kit, but I want to know if, in the future, I decide to build up my engine, that the Saleen kit will be able to crank out over 500 rwhp without a problem.
Old 11/26/05, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by clockworks@November 26, 2005, 11:35 PM
What do yall suppose the upper limits of the Saleen kit are? I've been thinking about the Saleen kit, but I want to know if, in the future, I decide to build up my engine, that the Saleen kit will be able to crank out over 500 rwhp without a problem.
It's a 2.4L twinscrew you can go 1000hp with the proper fuel,fuel system, and built up block. Forget the factory block over 600HP.
Old 11/26/05, 10:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh, sweet.

Originally posted by thump_rrr@November 26, 2005, 10:43 PM
It's a 2.4L twinscrew you can go 1000hp with the proper fuel,fuel system, and built up block. Forget the factory block over 600HP.
Do you mean the factory long block or the actual block? I was under the impression that the stock long block can only handle 450 rwhp safely and reliably.

I doubt I'll ever want anything over 600 rwhp, but 500 - 600 sounds fun. I wonder if that can be achieved with forged internals on the stock block or if/when the actually block needs to be replaced...?
Old 11/26/05, 10:48 PM

The actual engine block castings have been known to split above 600hp even with forged internals. The downside to going with a Teksid block (96-98 cobra) or (94-98 Continentak Mark VIII) is that the engine mounts are different and adapter plates are required.
Rumor has it that someone is in the process of making some. I won't post a name till I'm sure it's true. SHM has a set which they won't sell unless you buy a complete longblock for $10,000 plus your 05 motor in exchange.
Old 11/27/05, 06:53 PM
Bullitt Member

The Saleen Will Certianly put out over 500hp. Keep in mind that the same blower ( different Pulleys ) are used on the their base Super charger model ( 400hp @ 4 psi ) and extreme model ( 500hp @ 8 psi )...

Of course, the 500hp extreme model has been upgraded with forged internals and some work to the heads....

I recently ordered the Saleen unit and agree that a custom tune is manditory for good service and engine life....

Of course it can still go boom even with a proper tune. When you add 100+hp there are no garuntees....
Old 11/28/05, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by thump_rrr@November 27, 2005, 12:14 AM
The biggest problem is that people think they can bolt on a blower and plug in a canned tune and their car will run perfectly with no dyno time with an experienced tuner.

Also if you follow the forums the area where most of these cars suffer is in the air/fuel management department. There are many cars out there with prochargers which get dangerously lean at high rpm's due to the fuel pumps not being able to supply enough fuel. They also run out of voltage in the MAF which is no better.
I agree 100%. Having experience this first hand, both the fuel pump and MAF were at max at about 6100 rpm. I've since had the fuel system re-wired, a MAF extender installed, a KB BAP installed and a custome tune installed, which resolved my issues.
Old 12/3/05, 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

does anyone here have a whipple? Or know of anyone who has one? That is, on an 05 or 06. The torque and HP curve really impressed me on whipples website, it's not "peek power", it's "power under the curve", and a lot of it all the way through the RPM. Torque that is anyway
Old 12/11/05, 08:25 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by MyFastGT@September 12, 2005, 7:11 PM
Mine has been cutom tuned with a "safe" 93 octane tune. I was using a canned tune but with a S/C a custom tune is a must. I was thinking of installing a 62mm throttle body but I am not sure how much it will benefit me.
no one answered this qustion???
What is the stock TB size and can I use the BBK 62mm with a vortech???
Old 12/11/05, 09:40 AM
V6 Member

This is just my point of view... I'm NOT attacking anyone who chooses another method...

My approach to the 3v4.6 is that it's a fragile mass production motor (some would argue that something capable of 450+hp isn't fragile, but I digress) and it has to be treated with respect if you want to use it as anything more than a disposable weekend track car. With that in mind I want to squeeze every last drop of fun I can out of that motor while still keeping it in it's comfort zone. And the best way I know of to do that is to have a nice fat-n-smooth torque curve while keeping peak power below 430 with a good intercooler that won't heatsoak. And that leads me to a large displacement, low pressure twin screw with a BIG liquid intercooler, i.e. a Saleen SC or maybe a KB SC.

Quick Reply: supercharger