GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/05, 10:27 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which SC KIT is the best for GT. Whipple, Vortech, Paxton, Procharger... If the purchase price is inessential. What you guys think about it?
Thank's for answers.
Old 8/15/05, 10:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've researched all but the Paxton, and I plan on going with Kenne Bell, but I don't have my care yet, and I am waiting for hard and fast dyno numbers for these kits.
Old 8/15/05, 10:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

I know next to nothing about SCs, but from what I've read, I like the "positive displacement" ones. I hear they give a more linear torque curve or something. The Saleen one sounds nice.
Old 8/15/05, 01:20 PM
Bullitt Member

One hooked up to the new Shelby sounds good to me
Old 8/15/05, 03:07 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm in the same postion.

Note sure which on to get.
So far these are my issues with each of them.

1) ATI Procharger (Centrifical)
- air filter is mounted at the back of the engine. Thats that where all the heat is. They should have placed it closer to the front fenders.
- has a bit of a gear wine

2) Vortech SQ (Centrifical)
- i like the quietness... I like the fact that the oil is tapped in..becaues you only have to change the oil in the engine to change the whole system. Even thoughy you need to initially tap into the oil pan.
Down side is that you also pickup the hot oil from the engine
- not as robust as ATI or Whipple...it will get destroyed in freezing cold weather
- has a 3 year warranty.

3) Whipple (Positive displacement)
- great torque in the lower end (all the way through the rpm range)
- do you really want all that power at 2000rpm...not really. You'll go through tires every 2 months.
- constant boost, puts pressure on instake...however there is a waste gate, that remains open to let thepressure out...and blocks up again when you hit the throttle.

I used to have a Vortech on my 1999 Stang. I liked it...had lots of power. Although it didn't feel like the SC was even there when driving normally. You realy had to floor it, and wait till 4000rpm to actually feel it pull hard.

i live in Canada...had the SC on one winter...was really cold that year. When i started my car one morning the teeth on the SC just shattered.
Good thing it was still under Warranty and it got fixed.
From then on, i have to pull the SC of every winter.

I would like to see the Procharger and Whipple in action before i make my decision.
Ultimately i would probably choose either Vortech or Procharger.
If procharger is as quiet as the Vortech and if they decide to move the air intake to the front. Then i would try the Procharger.
Old 8/16/05, 04:33 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by CannonBaller@August 15, 2005, 10:10 PM

- do you really want all that power at 2000rpm...not really. You'll go through tires every 2 months.

What about Traction Control? Do you think that TC will not handle with Whipple?
Old 8/16/05, 07:42 AM

I have read good things about the Saleen SC........
Old 8/16/05, 08:12 AM
Cobra Member

I'm goin' with a Whipple.... from the homework that I've done, I'd prefer a Lysholm compressor (twin screw) which is what the KBs are, as well as the Saleen (I believe)... and I thought that the ones that FRPP is putting out are going to be screw.... I think they're moving away from the roots types... which is good news. Roots types are only about 50% efficient.... I'd take a centrifugal blower before a roots, but a twin screw above all. I think KB tends to be a little more expensive than Whipple.... and I haven't looked at prices on Saleen or FRPP.
Old 8/16/05, 09:15 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I met and spoke to Sean Hyland on what his thoughts were about the supercharger. They had an 05 there with a procharger in it and he said he would not want to install another one of those. He said to wait for the Kenne Belle to come out. Research and Development is the key here. Not who can get a supercharger out onto the market the fastest.
Old 8/16/05, 03:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I've emailed Saleen three times asking questions. ZERO response. Makes you go "hmmmm"
Old 8/16/05, 03:35 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
moving to the S197 GT Tech & Performance section
Old 8/16/05, 08:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by stanglex@August 16, 2005, 4:36 AM
What about Traction Control? Do you think that TC will not handle with Whipple?
Traction control is useless in this case.
Since all it does is cut into the timing and fuel. It's doesn't directly control wheel spin.

So if you stomp on the gas and the wheels start to spin, the TC will kick in, and the car will feel like you just hit the brakes. ANd it will bogg for about 1-2 seconds. Before resuming back to normal.

However if you floor it, the TC automallicaly turns off for a little bit to let you have some fun.
So either way you can't really win with the TC on.

Best bet is feel with your foot, you'll know when the tires are spinning.
But with a Whipple you won't have to hit the gas hard at all for that.

In general cars that already start off with high torque, should stick with centrifical or turbos.
Old 8/17/05, 12:46 AM
V6 Member

I have the saleen supercharger. let me tell you it makes great power but not tire spinning "roasting" at 2000rpm. you won't spin the tires. I do know my 70mph gas milage was 26mpg. Now 70mph best i get is 18mph. they tell me because it's producing boost at 2000rpm. that part is disappointing. I have nothing but good things about quality/performance/instructions about saleen. although i have emailed them about my hp numbers and never got a email back. than i called there hotline and i a machine and they call back within 24hours. although their product if great there custumer service is "lacking"
Old 8/17/05, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by pmcarlino@August 16, 2005, 11:49 PM
.....although i have emailed them about my hp numbers and never got a email back. than i called there hotline and i a machine and they call back within 24hours. although their product if great there custumer service is "lacking"
That is not good to hear......
Old 8/18/05, 09:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

" ATI Procharger (Centrifical)
- air filter is mounted at the back of the engine. Thats that where all the heat is. They should have placed it closer to the front fenders.
- has a bit of a gear wine "

Doesn't the procharger come with an intercooler? If so then it would not really matter the intake charge is going to be far less temp than the air being sucked by the filter.
Old 8/18/05, 09:46 AM
Cobra Member

The beauty of positive displacement screw type superchargers is you can get it all when you want it. If not all wanted, you do not have to keep the pedal to the metal. Foot position will limit and manage boost to the max boost possible (blower runs out of displacement or relief valve takes over). At cruise, throttle is hardly open and manifold vacuum should be negative ... the blower is sucking hard to get any air ... and so is the engine ... else you would be accellerating ... or pulling a really big boat. At cruise parasitic losses of the blower should be minimal.

With turbo's or centrifugal supercharges, generally you have to wait for the air pump get get up on the efficency curve (RPM) before you get the boost you desire.

Anyway, my 02
Old 8/18/05, 11:00 AM
Cobra Member

Do you want boost at any time/all the time like the twin screw, which will generally put more stress on the motor, or Boost as you climb the RPM range and puts no stress on the motor while normal driving/cruising?..Both types of design have their benefits and downsides...Really depends on your particular situation and usage?
Old 8/18/05, 01:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

What about a centrifugal with a set of 4:10's...wouldnt that help you get in the boost rpm range fast enough.
Old 8/18/05, 07:49 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by NOLAGT@August 18, 2005, 1:00 PM
What about a centrifugal with a set of 4:10's...wouldnt that help you get in the boost rpm range fast enough.
I think my 4.10's and Paxton are a perfect combination. I can hammer it out of the hole (5-speed auto) with only a chirp and then the car is gone. No waiting, no worrying about too much torque down low where you may get tirespin if you're not careful. I'm on stock rims/tires too. Honestly, I'd be happy with them all, I'm sure.

The tough part about this question is that so many people answer only knowing the difference between the two; not having ever ridden in an '05 GT with either or both supercharger styles. I don't know who on here has or hasn't that has posted, but it's something to think about in general. Listen and read, then most importantly drive or at least ride in each setup before making your decision.

I love the "normal" driveability of my Paxton (Vortech) and having huge power any time my foot is in it, but not so much low end torque that I'm getting beat by spinning my wheels off the launch. Now, if I could actually ride in a comperable setup with a Roots-style, then I'd consider myself fully educated on the difference between the two IN OUR '05 GT's (as I've been in both cars in a different car).

Now start looking for cars to ride/drive in before you make up your mind!
Old 8/18/05, 08:21 PM
Cobra Member

I had a set of 4:10's I was going to put in my car until I got the deal on the blower I couldn't refuse.I figured with the 5spd it just may be too much to control should I get into it right away, but maybe not?...Not sure?..The 3:55 seems to work very well with my setup and I have more than enough power down low if I need it.i would consider a 3:73 perhaps though maybe just to refine the setup a bit further

Quick Reply: supercharger