GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Supercharged '05 needs more fuel! Fuel Pump help

Search this Thread

Old 12/4/06, 02:58 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharged '05 needs more fuel! Fuel Pump help

I have recently notice quite a bit of hesitation in 3rd and 4th gears around 4,000 rpm's when I stomp on the go-fast pedal. I do not have a fuel pressure gauge, but I am certain that I have reached the limit of the stock fuel pump. I know a few other SC'd cars are utulizing the KB BAP, but is that a permanent solution? I was hoping to just replace the factory pump with a larger one but can't find any info other than a twin gt-500 setup. Can anyone recommend a larger fuel pump or is the boost-a-pump the way to go? Price is also a consideration. Thanks for the help!
Old 12/4/06, 03:07 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by osu_p51
I have recently notice quite a bit of hesitation in 3rd and 4th gears around 4,000 rpm's when I stomp on the go-fast pedal. I do not have a fuel pressure gauge, but I am certain that I have reached the limit of the stock fuel pump. I know a few other SC'd cars are utulizing the KB BAP, but is that a permanent solution? I was hoping to just replace the factory pump with a larger one but can't find any info other than a twin gt-500 setup. Can anyone recommend a larger fuel pump or is the boost-a-pump the way to go? Price is also a consideration. Thanks for the help!
Get in touch with JDM and see what they can do for you....

We need more info to help you...

How much power are you putting out? Who tune are you running? You don't run octane boost do you? Which plugs are you running?
Old 12/4/06, 03:13 PM
V6 Member

I bought my Saleen SC from JDM so he was the first one I spoke to. They have a twin setup for over $800! I was hoping I could solve the problem for a lot less. My power is 425 rwhp and 405 ft-lbs. The plugs are from Ford racing and I am not using an octane booster, just good-ole 93 octane. Although the fuel now-a-days may not really be 93 octane.
Old 12/4/06, 03:19 PM
3rd Times A Charm

I bought my Saleen SC from JDM so he was the first one I spoke to. They have a twin setup for over $800! I was hoping I could solve the problem for a lot less. My power is 425 rwhp and 405 ft-lbs. The plugs are from Ford racing and I am not using an octane booster, just good-ole 93 octane. Although the fuel now-a-days may not really be 93 octane.

Wow, what did he tell you. From what I've seen recently, he won't tune your car unless you run his GT500 pumps.

Yeah, I know they're pricey, but they are tried and proven. Another cheaper alternative, is a twin GT supercar set up. I believe you can find those for under $500.

I'm waiting on a good friend of mine to come out with his GT supercar set up.

Check in with Jim Jr. to see if he'll still tune your car with a different fuel system, and let me know...
Old 12/4/06, 07:05 PM
V6 Member

I bought my kit back in May so I am not sure if any fuel issues had been reported yet. I was hoping the kit would come with a new pump, like the vortech kit does (I think). What pump does it use? Couldn't I use one of them?
Maybe I misunderstood Jim Jr., but I swear he said his twin gt500 pump kit was $850 and was good upto 700hp. I don't really need that much "growing room" . RPM outlet has a twin gt40 kit for under $200. Is there that much difference in quality/performance?
Old 12/5/06, 09:50 AM
3rd Times A Charm

I bought my kit back in May so I am not sure if any fuel issues had been reported yet. I was hoping the kit would come with a new pump, like the vortech kit does (I think). What pump does it use? Couldn't I use one of them?
Maybe I misunderstood Jim Jr., but I swear he said his twin gt500 pump kit was $850 and was good upto 700hp. I don't really need that much "growing room" . RPM outlet has a twin gt40 kit for under $200. Is there that much difference in quality/performance?

The Saleen doesn't come with a Fuel Pump. The Vortech uses a GT Supercar pump if I remember correctly.

You are correct about JDM's Saleen/GT 500 fuel pump set up. It's just under $900, and it will support gobs of HP. Regardless if you'll ever be at those levels, it's a piece of mind kind of thing.

Since you are getting your tunes from JDM, you may want to talk to them about this, because as of a few days ago, JDM won't tune with any fuel system other than stock for lower HP outputs, or their Saleen/GT 500 fuel pumps.

The difference between this and the Supercar pumps, is that the Supercar pumps only have one FPDM and the JDM kit has 2. There's a huge debate on this exact subject going on right now, and I am anxiously waiting to see what I will do. Here it is... http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2...son-68289.html

I am currently running a Boost Activated Kenne Bell BAP, but I'd like to upgrade to a dual pump setup. I just haven't made my mind up as to which set up I'll choose.

169stang has made over 700rwhp on the Supercar pumps with only 1 FPDM without any issues.

First thing you need to do is decide who you want to tune your car. If you have to use JDM, than you may be stuck with the GT500 setup.
Old 12/5/06, 11:28 AM
V6 Member

I should have figured it wouldn't be as easy as I thought. I didn't realize how much was involved. Does the car need to be retuned with any fuel pump upgrade? I don't plan to go over 500hp so would a boost-a-pump be worth the investment?
Old 12/5/06, 12:00 PM
3rd Times A Charm

I should have figured it wouldn't be as easy as I thought. I didn't realize how much was involved. Does the car need to be retuned with any fuel pump upgrade? I don't plan to go over 500hp so would a boost-a-pump be worth the investment?
Well, I've got a BAP and I'm looking into a new fuel system, so I feel that a BAP is not the best possible solution, and I didn't spend all this money only to have my motor blow because I wanted to save $1K!

My tuner is running a BAP and swears by it until you get up past 600+. He's at 700+, so he needs to upgrade.

I'm not sure if it needs to be retuned or not, forgive my ignorance, but I'm sure if you check out the link I provided, you can come up with your own conclusion. Hell, give those guys a call in the thread for some professional advice.

I'm just an enthusiast!
Old 12/5/06, 06:15 PM

FWIW I ran my car for a long time on a GT pump BAP combo and had lots of fuel pressure. It works like a charm. Just wire the BAP to be on at all times (not boost activated) and you'll have lots of fuel. The down side is using a BAP is kinda like overclocking your computer. It can lead to early fuel pump failure and BAP failure is possible but not common. That's why I sprung for the JDM GT500 setup. An $800 insurance policy for an engine.
Old 12/6/06, 07:40 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for the info guys. It sounds to me like my best/safest option is to suck it up and go with the JDM setup. Peace of mind goes a long way when steeping on the accelerator. I guess I could always reduce my hp by going to a larger pulley............not gonna happen!
Is the twin gt500 setup a straight forward install? Is there enough room for two pumps without using a saws-all?