GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Super Charge a 2005 Mustang GT Roush Sport Package

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/16, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Super Charge a 2005 Mustang GT Roush Sport Package

Hi guys, I'm sure this has been answered before, and apologize in advance for not using the "search" feature. I've browsed various forums and they speak of crank hp / wheel hp, and whats safe for stock internals and I'm not quite understanding it.

Here is what I'm wanting to do, I'm looking at the "Ford Mustang Supercharger Single Belt Phase 2 (2005-2009)" from roush performance. Phase 2 ROUSH TVS 2.3L Roots-Style Supercharger (550HP/500 ft-lb).
I would have it professionally installed.

My question, is this perfectly safe on a complete stock 2005 Roush sport package gt mustang convertible? I have done no other modifications aside from a K&n drop in filter + smaller 8 inch antenna from american muscle.

The car is 100% factory, with 28,000 miles, well maintained and I've got all the service done at the dealer, and they tell me its in fantastic condition.

If the phase 2 kit would be too much, is the phase 1 safe? Apologies again, I just would like to hear a few opinions related to my specific vehicle.

My last question, does the Roush tune included with these packages compensate for the Traction control management? I browsed another topic on this forum about how the TCS can cut fuel and cause denotation? I'm by no means a terrible driver but I certainly wouldn't consider myself a "great" driver in terms of racing. I generally leave the TCS on and only have turned it off to "play" a bit in 1st gear. Especially with the added power, I feel I would need the TCS even more at that point =).

Any information / tips provided will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jamie
Old 10/29/16, 12:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
I believe I recall reading several places that the bottom end likes a max of about 450 HP on the 4.6.

We have a 31,xxx mile '08 we've considered same mod to .... but have other fires to tend just now.
The following users liked this post:
Havien01 (10/30/16)
Old 10/29/16, 01:59 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Don't go over 500rwhp

The 550 kit of its to the crank should net you maybe 460-475 to the wheels. Surely others hear at some point have put this Roush kit on a 3v 2005-2010.

You should be fine. Really it's all about the tune. If it comes with a can tune I would have it installed and then drive it to a reputable dyno tuner and have it tuned there.

FI is always pay to play. And 475rwhp safe on one car is not safe on maybe 1/50 other cars. It's not a science. But I wouldn't see any realistic problem with it if done right. I think the low mileage makes it possible on a 11-12 year old car.

That's my opinion anyway. I'm running 479rwhp on an old Salem kit with no issues. But I do have professional dyno tune. And honestly the Roush tune should be safe because it's designed to be. Nobody knows these motors better than Roush.

But you will always run the chance. Just keep that in mind.
Havien01 (10/30/16)
Old 10/29/16, 06:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
The 550 kit should be fine. It is made for our cars to work without any other modifications. BUT, I would like to say you should build from the ground up. No use having that kind of power without getting it to the ground proper. You're gonna end up in one of those bad mustang driver crash videos. Build from the ground up. What wheel tire combo do you have. I'm assuming that the Roush package would have some suspension upgrades but I would review those and see where the weaknesses are. Upgrading clutch would be a good idea also along with possibly some a drive shaft swap or maybe even a new third member. Just saying, when you start to run some power **** is going to start to break.

I put my Whipple 550 hp kit on my car with about 45K on it. I beat the **** out of my car and drive it like I stole it. But I built it from the ground up to take it. You will be fine with the kit. And if you're worried about it you can always just dial back the tune. I made 485 rwhp when i did my first dyno pull and then turned it back about 20 hp just to give myself a cushion of safety. As long as you run good gas and keep timing reasonable she should last a long time.
Havien01 (10/30/16)
Old 10/29/16, 07:10 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
If you still have the stock driveshaft, upgrade to an aluminum (or carbon fiber) one piece unit. As stated, at least have the car checked with the canned tune. I took my car to the dyno and had it checked and the tuner said it was safe so I stayed with the stock ProCharger tune. I have no reason to believe it's not safe since I was willing to pay the tuner good money to retune the car and he said I was good with the canned tune.
Havien01 (10/30/16)
Old 10/30/16, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you

Thank you all for the great input.

I don't plan on ordering this kit till April of next year. So I will have plenty of time to research more.

As for tires/wheel combo, I plan to upgrade soon as winter is over to a set of 18" wheels, staggered setup from am, still unsure the actual rims I want as there are so many options. With my car being yellow, I'm having trouble deciding between black or chrome. Black and yellow is tempting =).

I will be getting these tires, they seem to be priced fairly and whole set with rims is around 1300-1400, way cheaper then the Roush wheels with cooper tires that I was looking at anyway, they were closer to 3 grand.

(2) NITTO INVO Ultra-High Performance Tire - 255/45-18
(2) NITTO INVO Ultra-High Performance Tire - 275/40-18

At least I'll be able to put the tires on myself =)

After reading through the replies, I've decided that the 475 hp kit is the route I want to take, and just add in the gt500 fuel pump which was my main reason for wanting the 550 kit to begin with.

I just would hate to snap a driveshaft after all these years for a few more hp, when I'm sure the 475 will give me all I need with option to upgrade to a smaller pulley later.

Although I forgot to mention it in my original post, I do plan on getting a Exedy mach 400 stage 2 clutch installed at the same time as the charger.

Phase 1 charger 475
Gt500 fuelpump
Exedy stage 2 clutch + hydraulic throw out bearing w/braided line
Nitto Tires

Thanks again all, you've been fantastic with your replies.
Old 11/29/16, 05:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Havien01
Thank you all for the great input.

I don't plan on ordering this kit till April of next year. So I will have plenty of time to research more.

As for tires/wheel combo, I plan to upgrade soon as winter is over to a set of 18" wheels, staggered setup from am, still unsure the actual rims I want as there are so many options. With my car being yellow, I'm having trouble deciding between black or chrome. Black and yellow is tempting =).

I will be getting these tires, they seem to be priced fairly and whole set with rims is around 1300-1400, way cheaper then the Roush wheels with cooper tires that I was looking at anyway, they were closer to 3 grand.

(2) NITTO INVO Ultra-High Performance Tire - 255/45-18
(2) NITTO INVO Ultra-High Performance Tire - 275/40-18

At least I'll be able to put the tires on myself =)

After reading through the replies, I've decided that the 475 hp kit is the route I want to take, and just add in the gt500 fuel pump which was my main reason for wanting the 550 kit to begin with.

I just would hate to snap a driveshaft after all these years for a few more hp, when I'm sure the 475 will give me all I need with option to upgrade to a smaller pulley later.

Although I forgot to mention it in my original post, I do plan on getting a Exedy mach 400 stage 2 clutch installed at the same time as the charger.

Phase 1 charger 475
Gt500 fuelpump
Exedy stage 2 clutch + hydraulic throw out bearing w/braided line
Nitto Tires

Thanks again all, you've been fantastic with your replies.
Read this:

http://departmentofboost.com/tech/boosting_3v.htm

Then This:

http://departmentofboost.com/tech/3v...splacement.htm